ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sponsor my wife

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

moese_69
Newly Registered
Morocco

Sponsor my wife

Post by moese_69 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:45 pm

Hello,

I’m in a particular situation and would appreciate some advice. I arrived in the UK on a spouse visa (married to a British citizen), and I’ve since been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). I’m currently going through a divorce and plan to remarry someone from my home country, who will need to apply for a spouse visa to join me in the UK.

My questions are:

Can I sponsor my new wife’s spouse visa with my current ILR, or is it better to wait until I receive my UK citizenship?
Since I originally entered the UK on a spouse visa, will this have any impact on my new wife’s visa application?

Thank you for your guidance. I appreciate your help!

secret.simon

Re: Sponsor my wife

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:30 pm

There is no difference between the requirements to sponsor the spouse of somebody on ILR and the spouse of a British citizen.

What is absolutely critical though is that the date of marriage with the new spouse would be on or after the date of the decree absolute of the divorce of the old marriage.

So, essentially, don't rush to marry the new spouse till the divorce with the old spouse is finalised in the courts.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

moese_69
Newly Registered
Morocco

Post by moese_69 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:36 pm

Thank you so much.

I would like to know if I can start the divorce process now, even while waiting for my citizenship application, and whether the timing of my divorce (finalized now) and citizenship approval (later) will impact my ability to sponsor my new wife.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:50 pm

moese_69 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:36 pm
Thank you so much.

I would like to know if I can start the divorce process now, even while waiting for my citizenship application, and whether the timing of my divorce (finalized now) and citizenship approval (later) will impact my ability to sponsor my new wife.
You can do what you like, when you like once you have ILR. You're free from immigration restrictions! As previously advised, you can sponsor your to be wife even with ILR as the needs and requirements are the same as being British.

However, you need to be free to marry before you re-marry. Don't put the cart before the horse!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

moese_69
Newly Registered
Morocco

Post by moese_69 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:02 pm

Thank you so much for your help