ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WHMV to unmarried partner (good one for experts and gurus)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mikali
Newly Registered

WHMV to unmarried partner (good one for experts and gurus)

Post by mikali » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi,
I am looking to gain an unmarried partner visa and would like to know some information and would appreciated any advice given. I am Australian and have been in the UK on a working holiday maker visa for the last 14 months of which I have worked 12 and am no longer employed due to the conditions imposed on my VISA.

I have been living with my Australian partner (who I have been with for 9 years) for the last 5 years and have the required documentary evidence that we have been living in a relationship akin to marriage for the last 2 years to qualify for the unmarried partner visa.

My partner applied for a work permit under the pre November 27 2008 rules and received her letter of permission to work a few weeks ago. She is now in a position to apply for limited leave to remain. She is going to fill in the FLR(IED) form as stated to do so on a letter from the UK border agency.

Now…we have been told by what i think Is a reputable source that all my partner has to do is list my name as a dependant on the form and take in the necessary proof of our relationship and the visa will be processed there and then. I have also been told by the same source that I am able to be included on this application even though I am currently within the UK. When questioning whether or not I can be in the country the source assured me that I would be able to apply and also that separating my partner I would be a breach of Article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights: The Right to Respect for Private and Family Life.

When ringing the home office to make an appointment to have the application processed using the premium service, I was told that I am unable to make the appointment on behalf of the both of us and that only my partner will be able to apply. Their reason being that I cannot be included in the application as I am currently within the UK.

So my questions now are:
Can I be included on my partners FLR(IED) application even though I am present in the UK and am currently on an working holiday maker visa?

If I cannot, then why is there even a spot for dependents to apply on the form if dependants cannot be in the country?

If I cannot, why and where does it state that I cannot?

Does the Article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights: The Right to Respect for Private and Family Life give me any case for argument when being told that I cannot apply from within the UK?

Can someone please give me some further advice or direction on my issues above?

Sorry for the longwinded post, I just wanted to get it all in one post.

Thanks

vinny

Re: WHMV to unmarried partner (good one for experts and guru

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:19 pm

mikali wrote:If I cannot, why and where does it state that I cannot
Unmarried and same-sex partners wrote:Leave to enter or remain as the unmarried or same-sex partner of a person with limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193; 200-239; or 263-270

Requirements for leave to enter or remain as the unmarried or same-sex partner of a person with limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193; 200-239; or 263-270

295J. The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter or remain as the unmarried partner of a person with limited leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom under paragraphs 128-193; 200-239; or 263-270; are that:

(ix) if seeking leave to enter, the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity or, if seeking leave to remain, was admitted with a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mikali
Newly Registered

Post by mikali » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi Vinny,
Thanks for the prompt reply and your guidance links.
Please excuse my ignorance, but i can't seem to find exactly where it specifies that I must apply from my home country. Or more specifically I can't find where I do not meet the criteria.

Thanks again,
Michael.

vinny

Re: WHMV to unmarried partner (good one for experts and guru

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 pm

295J wrote:(ix) if seeking leave to enter, the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity or, if seeking leave to remain, was admitted with a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:34 am

In other words WHM is leave to enter not leave to remain and you cannot switch in country, except (I think) to another leave to enter category, ie visitor which is allowed from WHM.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:55 am

Wanderer wrote:In other words WHM is leave to enter not leave to remain and you cannot switch in country, except (I think) to another leave to enter category, ie visitor which is allowed from WHM.
Perhaps not as a general visitor:
44 wrote:(iii) has, or was last granted, entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as a general visitor or as a child visitor.

mikali
Newly Registered

Post by mikali » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:24 am

Ok, thanks for the response but now i am even more confused, most likely because of my interpretation.

Since I am now seeking leave to remain as a dependent and I was admitted with a valid UK entry clearance in the form of the WHMV, how does this disqualify me from the following point:

(ix) if seeking leave to enter, the applicant holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity or, if seeking leave to remain, was admitted with a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.

Perhaps my misinterpretation lies within the phrase “within this capacityâ€

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:40 pm

UPV/depandant is Leave to Remain. WHM is Leave to Enter, ie it's a temporary stay visa, once it's finished, gone. UPV and Spouse visas WP/HSMP/Dependant visas etc are Leave to Remain, ie they lead to settlement.

So if you have WHM, you only have Leave to Enter, not to remain, so you can only switch within to another Leave to Enter visa, of which there is possibly only the Visit visa or similar. Within this Capacity means 'visa of the same category' in ur case LTE.

I have read here you can switch to visit visa after ur WHM, but ur still stuck in the same category, you can't switch from Visitor then because I think you exhausted all the LTE-type visas...

I am on the edge of my knowledge here tho...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Stepping in now that Wanderer's exhausted his knowledge! Unfortunately, you can no longer switch from WHV to Unmarried Partner from within the UK...even if your partner was a British Citizen. This has to be applied for from your home country.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:19 am

[quote="mikali"]Perhaps my misinterpretation lies within the phrase “within this capacityâ€

mikali
Newly Registered

Post by mikali » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 am

That's exactly what we are...Unmarried Partners.

mikali
Newly Registered

Post by mikali » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:57 am

Assuming that I have to go to my home country and apply to change to an unmarried partner visa (one of which will allow me to work in the UK on re-entry), which form will i have to fill keeping in mind that my girlfriend has a work permit under the old scheme and not under the points based system?

mikali
Newly Registered

Post by mikali » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:27 am

Would I need to fill the VAF2 form?

bpietro
Newly Registered

Post by bpietro » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi Mikali,

I am looking for information on the same topic. I am in the UK on a HSMP visa. I will have been living with my partner (who is here on a WHMV) for two years in a couple of months. I think I have all the necessary docs to prove this. We both have more than 12 moths left on our visas.

I am also wondering what form needs to be filled out to put her as dependant on my visa.

I would also like to know if we both need to go back to Australia to make the application to add her as dependant.