ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing PSW/Tier 1 General to Student Visa.

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

djc

Changing PSW/Tier 1 General to Student Visa.

Post by djc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi Folks,

In a bit of fix here. It so happens that I am on the PSW visa and a close friend of mine is on the Tier 1 General Visa. We have both managed to get admission in a prestigious school and want to start this August. My question is whether we can switch our visa status into a student visa from our current status.
To add to confusion, I called up the home office twice and was told absolutely contradictory version ie i can/ i cant. I was wondering whether anybody could shed some more light on the matter.

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Re: Changing PSW/Tier 1 General to Student Visa.

Post by rizwan567 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:31 pm

djc wrote:Hi Folks,

In a bit of fix here. It so happens that I am on the PSW visa and a close friend of mine is on the Tier 1 General Visa. We have both managed to get admission in a prestigious school and want to start this August. My question is whether we can switch our visa status into a student visa from our current status.
To add to confusion, I called up the home office twice and was told absolutely contradictory version ie i can/ i cant. I was wondering whether anybody could shed some more light on the matter.

I am quite sure both of you wont be able to switch on student visas. Other forums members are welcome to correct me.

alyssang
Newly Registered

Post by alyssang » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:10 pm

i second rizwan's opinion. nothing can be undone once you got a new visa if it is not a student one.

koolbone

Post by koolbone » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:49 am

I beg to disagree. I was under the impression that someone on a PSW visa could apply for further leave to remain in the UK as a student using the FLR(s) if the course you've been accepted for is at degree level or above.
Here's an extract from the UKCISA website:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who can apply from inside the UK?
Not everyone who is in the UK is allowed to apply for more time, as a student.

You will qualify to apply for more time, as a student, if either:

You have current immigration permission to be in the UK as a student; or
You last entered the UK with valid entry clearance as a student or as a prospective student; or
Your latest immigration permission to be in the UK was granted under the rules for students who are re-sitting an exam; or
You have been accepted on a course of study at degree level or above and your latest immigration permission to be in the UK was granted to you as one of the following:
a sabbatical officer
a work permit holder
a tier 1 post-study work migrant
a participant in the International Graduates Scheme (IGS) or in the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS)
a participant in the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme (FT:WISS).

http://www.ukcosa.org.uk/student/info_s ... ration.php