ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Where to apply for EEA family permit (6 months one)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dancingc
Newly Registered

Where to apply for EEA family permit (6 months one)

Post by dancingc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:51 am

Hey there,
I have one more question I can not answer myself or with any of the information on goverment pages etc.
My wife ( a non EEA national from the US) and I ( EEA national from Germany) are going to visit Germany before we want to go to the UK ( live there, study) in summer this year.
Now, I know she needs to apply for a EEA family permit for 6 months for the first time we will be in the UK. On the website of the UK government it says that if she lives in the US she has to apply online for the permit in the US. But what if we go to Germany for about 1 1/2 month. Could my wife apply from Germany for a EEA family permit( 6 months) for the UK or does she need to do this here in the US ( her homecountry) before we leave to go to visit Germany?

Thank you for taking time to read this and for help and answers.

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: Where to apply for EEA family permit (6 months one)

Post by thsths » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:03 pm

dancingc wrote:Could my wife apply from Germany for a EEA family permit( 6 months) for the UK or does she need to do this here in the US ( her homecountry) before we leave to go to visit Germany?
The rules are different for an EEA Family Permit, and you can apply from any place. In fact applying from within Europe may be slightly easier.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:34 pm

Why would you need an EEA FP in the first place? A US citizen can enter UK without visa. Once in the UK apply for a Residence Card using form EEA2. As the spouse of an EEA national you cannot be illegally in the UK anyway, almost by definition.