ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What should I tell Passport Control when I come?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

What should I tell Passport Control when I come?

Post by pauliesgirl » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:44 am

Ok, I've posted a couple times on here before about getting married in Ireland, which has been approved (more than 3 months in advance) and also having questions about the stamp 4. My newest question/worry is, being a US citizen, when I come into Ireland next month to get married, without my fiance since he lives in Ireland, when they ask if I'm here for business or pleasure, do I say pleasure and leave it at that? Or do I tell them, pleasure, and to get married. I have my appointment/approval form from the registrar, will that be sufficient? Also Obviously I have my passport :P I also have a return ticket, as I will only be staying there for 3 weeks then returning back to the states. If I do tell them I'm getting married there, will they give me any kind of trouble or push back, or worse, will they deny my entry? Do you know what kind of questions they will ask? Once we are married and I go home and have everything sorted back in the states, I intend on moving to Ireland to live and work with my soon to be husband, so then I will not have a return ticket, then, once I have the stamp 4, will I have a problem coming back into the country? So many questions, thank you for any replies!

kazinirl

Re: What should I tell Passport Control when I come?

Post by kazinirl » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:49 am

Hi pauliesgirl,

I posted a comment for you on the other topic you made before.
(Please see down below)

A friend of mine showed the appointment/approval form from the registrar at the passport control, and they welcomed her.

Once you have Stamp4 (even stamp1) and you are non-visa reuired national, they won't ask you return ticket.
We have been travelling in and out from Ireland without any troubles.

Hope this clears things up for you, and good luck with everything.

----------------------------------------

Hello pauliesgirl and everyone,

I just like to mention how my friends (Japanese, non- visa required nationals which is the same as US citizen) got married last summer 2008 in Ireland, and got a Stamp 4 from tourist status.
Scrubu and ferrellk are right. Of course Irish immigration laws have been changing and becoming tougher, and may change again, but anyway so far and at moment, scrudu has the best answer and I don't want pauliesgirl to get confused.

As I am a Japanese who got married to an Irish man last year (I was on Stamp1, basis on w.permit) I know about 2 Jpn-Irl couples married last year.

The first couple met in Australia about 3 years ago, spent 2 years together over there and when he visted Japan at the end of 2007, they got engaged. Then she stayed in Japan while he orgnised the three months notification of intention to marry. She recieved a letter of confirmation of intention to marry by register officer. She arrived in Dublin Airport end of May 2008 with the letter and told an officer about their engagement. The officer started asking her questions, so she showed him the letter, then that was no problem. He gave her Stamp3(non-EEA visitor) for 2month They had a nice chat about their wedding and honeymoon and he congratulated her! They got married in Ireland about a month later and went to GNIB with the all document as ferrellk mentioned earlier. She got Stamp 4 straight away without any troubles.

The second couple I know met in the US, and spent some years together there. They then decided to get married in Ireland, and she arrived as a tourist with him, getting a stamp 3 for one month. They went to the local immigration office to extend her permission to remain, explaining about the wedding and the length of time it would take them to get their paperwork done - both of them were divorced. The officer gave her extended permission to remain as a visitor without any hassle, and this gave them time to get married, and after that she also got the Stamp 4 immediately at the local immigration office.

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Post by pauliesgirl » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:06 pm

kazinirl wrote:Hi pauliesgirl,

I posted a comment for you on the other topic you made before.
(Please see down below)

A friend of mine showed the appointment/approval form from the registrar at the passport control, and they welcomed her.

Once you have Stamp4 (even stamp1) and you are non-visa reuired national, they won't ask you return ticket.
We have been travelling in and out from Ireland without any troubles.

Right, thank you for both replies, very appreciated, I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes!

kazinirl

Post by kazinirl » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Good luck.
Hope it will be a beautiful wedding day!