ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shall I Declare Speeding Offences In Set(0)? - urgent please

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

halti
Newly Registered

Shall I Declare Speeding Offences In Set(0)? - urgent please

Post by halti » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:00 pm

I would very much appreciate if you could advice please.

I am planning to apply for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) having completed 5 years in Work Permit category.

According to the SET(0) Form I have to declare all criminal offences including traffic offences.

I had a parking and a speeding tickets issued in another country (not in the UK). These tickets are fixed penalties which have been issued more than 5 years ago (before my ILR qualifying period), and the fixed fines have been fully paid.

One of these tickets (the speeding ticket) was not initially issued in a court. However as I have not paid the initial fine (due to being out of the country and not being aware of the fine) this ticket was followed by a letter from a court asking to pay the fine. I paid the fine straight away, which was in 2004 (while I already was in the UK).

According to the UKBA guidance for "Good character": "You must give details of all unspent criminal convictions. This includes road traffic offences but not fixed penalty notices (such as speeding or parking tickets) unless they were given in court. You must include all drink-driving offences."

Also, according to "SET (0) Form, if the fines are "spent" as per The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974" then they do not need to be disclosed.

Taking the above into account, please would you advice as to whether I must declare these traffic tickets (they are "spent", have not been issued in court (except for the one mentioned above) and were issued more than 5 years ago) on the SET (0) Form.

Many thanks,
David.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Don't think you need to declare the convictions, if they are already spent.