ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

4Eufam and social

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ewe9
Newly Registered

4Eufam and social

Post by ewe9 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi! I am eu and my husband is non eu holding eu4fam residency card. His not working as you know it's not easy to get job now in Ireland. I am on full time employment but i am going to lose my job in few months, so probably i will be on jobseeker benefit. My question is what will happen after that 5 years on eu4fam if we'll get help from social now (rent allowance, jobseeker benefit, etc.) Time in Ireland will be very hard now and we have survived that 1 or 2 years before it will get better.

MYSPACE
Newly Registered

SAME

Post by MYSPACE » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 pm

My situation is even worse,i apply for EU1 as NON EU spouse of EU citizen i got a letter from EU treaty department asking for additional document from my spouse, like additional payslip but at this point my spouse already lost her job due to economy downturn.She now register with Social for jobseeker benefit. I dont really knw what 2 do....

Can anyone plz advice

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: SAME

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:55 am

MYSPACE wrote:My situation is even worse,i apply for EU1 as NON EU spouse of EU citizen i got a letter from EU treaty department asking for additional document from my spouse, like additional payslip but at this point my spouse already lost her job due to economy downturn.She now register with Social for jobseeker benefit. I dont really knw what 2 do....
How long has your EU citizen spouse been working in Ireland? As long as your spouse has been working previously, and is looking for work, I doubt there will be any problem. Send evidence of your spouse's previous work and a letter from them saying that they are presently looking for work.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Re: 4Eufam and social

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:07 am

ewe9 wrote:Hi! I am eu and my husband is non eu holding eu4fam residency card. His not working as you know it's not easy to get job now in Ireland. I am on full time employment but i am going to lose my job in few months, so probably i will be on jobseeker benefit. My question is what will happen after that 5 years on eu4fam if we'll get help from social now (rent allowance, jobseeker benefit, etc.) Time in Ireland will be very hard now and we have survived that 1 or 2 years before it will get better.
It sounds like you are already aware that you are fully allowed to get social assistance, with the same rights as any Irish person.

In general getting social assistance will be a problem only if that is all you do. If you do not work and do not have any money and get social assistance, then there might be problems. If you have a part time job at McDonalds, then you will be fine.

As an EU citizen, did you have to register with the Irish government within three months of arriving in ireland and starting to work?

ewe9
Newly Registered

Post by ewe9 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:31 am

When i arrived I just got my PPS and start working. I am working already 3 years in Ireland so I have enough stamps to get jobseeker benefit. Probably i will get some money for my non eu husband as well as he's not working and our baby, but my question is what will happen after his 5 years on 4eufam stamp expired, Is he going to be refused next stamp? I don't know what is the next step after 5 years, do we have to apply again for 4eufam? Probably we will have to ask for rent allowance as well. Off course I will be looking for a job, but to be realistic chances are low for a moment.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 am

After 5 years, your husband can apply for a PERMANENT Residence Card.

When does your husband’s Residence Card (4EUFam) expire? Does it have the required 5 year validity?

ewe9
Newly Registered

Post by ewe9 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:53 am

His Residence Card expire in 2012. I am afraid they will refuse a Permanent Residence Card(or any other) if we'll be getting social assistance.

You said that getting social assistance will be a problem only if that is all you do, so You mean that now when I work we can getting Family Income Supplement for example and that will be fine, it will not interfere with residency?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:17 pm

Look, it is hard to predict with certainty what the Irish government will have a problem with today, much less in 2012. But you are not prohibited from getting social assistance. In fact you have the same right to it as all Irish people. You just can not be chronically reliant on it.

If you and your husband are totally dependent on social assistance (i.e. not working at all) between now and 2012, then you will likely have a problem. But working part time and looking for work then that is another situation.

You can also get baby related money if you have kids, maternity pay from the government, etc…

Always keep records of all your work in Ireland, as well of any job hunting (including names of people and when you talked with them). That will help a lot if you have problems in the future.