ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW- Degree certificate

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

PSW- Degree certificate

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:16 pm

My friend has got her M Phil degree and going to apply for PSW visa. She has received the letter from the University (including the extra information) required for PSW. She has not got the certificate yet. Now she is going to make legal case against the university for their unfairness shown during the study period.

My question is that how important is the certificate for the PSW application? Would that letter sufficient for the PSW visa?

Please advice. If anyone faced any problem for not submitting the certificate, please share it.

A

Post by A » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:17 pm

Hello,

First of all, why is she "mak(ing) a legal case against her university"?
Secondly, although it states in the Points-Based System Policy Guidance notes that the HO will accept applications without the original certificate (if the institution provides a letter saying the student will be receiving the certificate), I have been reading A LOT of posts on this forum saying that ppl have been rejected because of their failure to include their original certificate. Therefore, my question is, can your friend wait until she receives her original certificate before she applies for the PSW visa? If this is not possible, then make sure she def has a letter from her institution explaining that she will get the certificate. Despite this, it may well be that gets refused and then has to appeal. It totally sucks because she probably has no choice but to send off her application BEFORE she gets the certificate, but like I said, I have read a heck of a lot of posts by ppl who got refused for their lack of original certificate, despite having the necessary extra letter from their institution.

But I'll tell you what I did. I submitted my application without the original certificate, but then just posted it in myself once I received it (even though they say not to post anything in once they have received the application). This was fine for me.... I did get rejected and have gone through a successful appeal now, but that was for a different reason. So that's another option (though not the most reliable)

Good luck,
A.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:06 pm

The problem with the Uni letter is that is that is does not guarantee the award - it will state something along the lines the award will be granted subject to Senate approval etc etc.

Without an unequivocal statement that you will receive an award the Uni letter is not much good.

The Uni's know this but will not speed up the process of the Senate meetings as it interferes with their "systems and processes". They state that UKBA should accept the letters for what they are, unfortunately that can not be the case as they themselves would not accept such a letter for instance to join a masters course. They are playing a double standards game and the people that will suffer will be the students, no one else.

koolbone

Post by koolbone » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:52 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:The problem with the Uni letter is that is that is does not guarantee the award - it will state something along the lines the award will be granted subject to Senate approval etc etc.

Without an unequivocal statement that you will receive an award the Uni letter is not much good.

The Uni's know this but will not speed up the process of the Senate meetings as it interferes with their "systems and processes". They state that UKBA should accept the letters for what they are, unfortunately that can not be the case as they themselves would not accept such a letter for instance to join a masters course. They are playing a double standards game and the people that will suffer will be the students, no one else.

True words, Frontier Mole. This is exactly what happened to me. My Uni letter contained everything that was required together with a breakdown of all my module results but also included the line "subject to approval by the Senate, ....". Consequently, I was refused because of this so-called approval. The HO said they could not determine whether or not I had obtained the degree. My appeal went on very well though, didn't even last up to 10 minutes. The Immigration judge said the decision was ridiculous.

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:51 am

Hello A,
Thank you for your reply.

My friend's letter clearly mentions that the details of the awarding body i.e. the name of the University, title of award, date of award, period of study and the address of the University . Also, it mentions that the certificate of award will be issued in due course. It also mentions that she is going to attend the graduation ceremony in April 09. According to the information asked in the PSW form if seems sufficient (extra information) when a student is not able to submit the certificate. Also, she is providing another formal award letter from the University's Registrar ( which every student gets from the Uni ).[b]Did anyone had any problem after this information mentioned in the letter?[/b]

On a seperate note, my friend was enriolled on a PhD programme, but at the course she was awarded M Phil (one of the outcome of the PhD examination). But she thinks the University has provided poor supervision. therefore she is going to take legal action. But I think that is nothing to do with Home Office.

raja-a
Newly Registered

Post by raja-a » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 pm

A completion of course does not mean that you will be awarded a degree. You get your degree once it is approved by the board. If the uni letter mentions any thing about awarded or confered than its fine otherwise dont apply.

raja-a
Newly Registered

Post by raja-a » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:28 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:Hello A,
Thank you for your reply.

My friend's letter clearly mentions that the details of the awarding body i.e. the name of the University, title of award, date of award, period of study and the address of the University . Also, it mentions that the certificate of award will be issued in due course. It also mentions that she is going to attend the graduation ceremony in April 09. According to the information asked in the PSW form if seems sufficient (extra information) when a student is not able to submit the certificate. Also, she is providing another formal award letter from the University's Registrar ( which every student gets from the Uni ).Did anyone had any problem after this information mentioned in the letter?

On a seperate note, my friend was enriolled on a PhD programme, but at the course she was awarded M Phil (one of the outcome of the PhD examination). But she thinks the University has provided poor supervision. therefore she is going to take legal action. But I think that is nothing to do with Home Office.
I believe the letter will have a statement saying the degree will be awarded on so n so dates?

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 am

raja-a,

Date of award mentioned on the letter: xxJan09. Also, a formal award letter from the Registrar has been obtained. It also mentions the certificate of award will be issued in due course. She is waiting to attend the graduation ceremony.

Does she still need to submit the certificate?

raja-a
Newly Registered

Post by raja-a » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:12 pm

RAJ2007 wrote:raja-a,

Date of award mentioned on the letter: xxJan09. Also, a formal award letter from the Registrar has been obtained. It also mentions the certificate of award will be issued in due course. She is waiting to attend the graduation ceremony.

Does she still need to submit the certificate?
What about the award letter is it on uni's letter head n states that she has been awarded/conferd so n so degree? u can only claim points if you have completed some qualification. I have seen few ppl who got thier psw on the basis of uni letters but in most cases they simply reject ur application. If she can get a letter stating that she has been awarded so n so degree than it will work but if the letter states that she has completed the course and degree will be awarded on so n so dates than i will suggest u to wait

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:47 am

raja-a,

Probably I was not clear enough , the letter mentions that she has been awarded the degree of M Phil and the date of award is xxxJan09. Even the formal award letter also mentions that.

That should be sufficient isn't it?