ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in Ireland

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rahul_mundke
Newly Registered

Working in Ireland

Post by rahul_mundke » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:55 am

Hi,

I am a masters student from India. I had a work experience of 3.5 years in IT. I worked for Infosys Technology. And doing a masters in Information Technolgy from IIT Bombay.

I am interested in a job in Ireland or UK.
For UK i have a option of applying for HSMP.
But when after going thorugh Ireland consulate websites
I found that it is necessary to have a job offer from a Ireland based company to get the work permit visa.
I did applied to few Ireland based companies/agencies but they replied stating since i dont have work permit for Ireland they would not be able to consider my application.

This is becoming a chicken and egg problem for me.
Please guide me what should i do ?

Also can somebody also give me idea/comparison about job in UK Vs. Ireland meaning where would one should prefer and why.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Rahul

AnandVishwanathan
Newly Registered

HSMP or WORK VISA

Post by AnandVishwanathan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi,

You got it right there, it is a chicken and egg problem. As about guidance it depends what your priorities are and what you are looking for. Flying to Ireland to work( that is you getting a job, then getting the required visa etc... ) seems to be close to impossible these days.

If your confident about getting a job in UK then, go for the HSMP.

Cheers!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A gun never kills anybody its the person behind the gun who kills.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:42 am

I agree, if there is the oportunity for you to apply for HSMP then i would go with that option, I guess once you have moved to the UK and you are still interested in moving to Ireland, it will be easier for you to look forjobs, attend interviews etc. Other than that, the UK options (HSMP or Work Permit)currently offers you better flexibility and is by far better than the schemes offered in Ireland (Working Visa and Work Permit) and you will find that there is more people moving the other way

geekbo
Newly Registered

Post by geekbo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:52 pm

If you get a job offer in IT you can apply for a work authorisation visa at the irish embassy in your country. Check this link for more information - if you get stuck just ask:

An applicant for a Working Visa or Work Authorisation must present:
• A completed application form;
• a job offer and contract from an employer in Ireland corresponding to the designated skills category in which he/she claims to be qualified, stating the starting date and pay and quoting the employer's Registered Number for Tax Purposes and the applicant's passport number; (NB: The employee must be directly employed and salaried by the employer in Ireland. Job offers from recruitment agencies, agents, intermediaries or companies who intend to outsource the employee to another company will not be acceptable under the scheme)
• a passport valid at least until the expiration date of the relevant Working Visa or Work Authorisation;
• two photographs
• a visa application fee of €100 or equivalent (not charged in the case of a number of nationalities) or a Work Authorisation application fee of €50 or equivalent
• the original copy of the applicants’ relevant qualifications. NB: only qualifications that have been awarded by a recognised third level institution will be accepted under the Work Authorisation or Working Visa scheme.
Information and Computing Technologies:
ICT Professionals:
• applicants must have the minimum of a degree in the Information and Computing Technology field from a recognized third level institution.
ICT Technicians:
• applicants must have the minimum of a diploma in the Information and Computing Technology field from a recognized third level institution.
The following will not be sufficient:
• work experience in that field.
• qualifications from bodies such as Microsoft, Cisco, IBM, etc.
Construction Professionals:
Architect:
• applicants require the minimum of a degree in architecture.
Architect Technician/Technologist:
applicants require the minimum of a diploma in Architectural Technology or equivalent.Construction Engineers:
• this generally relates to civil engineering and applicants require the minimum of a degree in civil engineering.
Note: Applications maybe considered in respect of other engineering categories such as mechanical or electrical engineers only where the job offered is part of a clearly defined construction project.
Engineering Technician:
• applicants require the minimum of a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent.
Quantity Surveyor:
• applicants require the minimum of a degree in Quantity Surveying.
Building Surveyor:
• applicants require the minimum of a degree in Building Surveying.
Town Planners:
• applicants require the minimum of a degree in Town Planning.