ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HELP!! Love of my life must not be lost forever

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

HELP!! Love of my life must not be lost forever

Post by dollarjojo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi guys,

I need your help on the right way to go, so here's the scenario:

I have been granted ILR, my girlfriend of 8 years is an overstayer. I really want to be with her (here in the UK i.e.) We have no kids. She has a good job and has never been on public funds.

Question: What is the best way forward with regards to changing her status and make her a legal resident of the UK?

Your help is truly appreciated

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:32 pm

How long have you been together, have you been living together in a "relationship akin to marriage" for at least two years?

Are you willing to get married if it comes to it, or move to her home country if she has to return home? I am only mentioning marriage because it may be on the cards anyway.

Is she just a straightforward overstayer, or has she made asylum applications in the past?

How old was she when she came to the UK?

Having a good job doesn't in itself entitle her to stay in the UK, because she should not be working if she has been doing that without permission. Her employer could be liable to prosecution or a £10k fine too.

Coming back or staying to work with leave would be very difficult.

Another route is to make an application for indefinite leave based on 14 years residence, but that may be closed before she hits 14 years.

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

Post by dollarjojo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks for getting back PaperPusher. I'll answer your questions as you put them.

1. We have been together (living i.e.) for over 8 years and the relationship is akin to marriage.
2. I have a job here that pays my mortgage, but I'm willing to go to her home country to get married
3. She is a straightforward overstayer
4. She was 30 when she came to the UK

I hope this information helps as I am only looking for guidance towards the best way ford

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:38 am

If you have incontrovertible evidence of a long-term relationship, and can satisfy beyond doubt the support and accommodation provisions of the Rules, the quickest way to resolve the situation, in my opinion, is for her to leave the UK and for you to get married in her country. There really would be no grounds to refuse a spouse EC application.

She would of course put her job at risk by doing this, because she might need more than a couple of weeks holiday to accomplish it all, but to apply here would take much longer with no guarantees of success, and once her situation becomes known her employer won't thank her for potentially incurring a £10000 fine on him.

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:04 am

I'm not sure leaving is the right answer.. If she leaves she could be subject to a ban on re-entry..

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:48 am

UKbound wrote:I'm not sure leaving is the right answer.. If she leaves she could be subject to a ban on re-entry..
A ban? Under what paragraph of the Rules?

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:07 am

Please refer to this post -

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... erstay+ban

Note - there was a concession in place until late last year, but I believe that no longer applies.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:25 pm

But the ban under Para 320 7B does not apply to spouse applications, see:

"(7C) Paragraph 320(7B) shall not apply in the following circumstances:

(a) where the applicant is applying as:

(i) a spouse, civil partner or unmarried or same-sex partner under
paragraphs 281 or 295A, ...."

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks, I stand corrected..

I've read a few people were denied, but I think it relates to this section -

"Although 320(7B) may not apply, an ECO must still consider whether the applicant meets the “significantly contrived to frustrateâ€

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:11 pm

[quote="UKbound"]Thanks, I stand corrected..

I've read a few people were denied, but I think it relates to this section -

"Although 320(7B) may not apply, an ECO must still consider whether the applicant meets the “significantly contrived to frustrateâ€