ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from student entry clearance to PSW...need hel!

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dleipold
Newly Registered

Switching from student entry clearance to PSW...need hel!

Post by dleipold » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:58 pm

Hello!

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm living in London as a student with student entry clearance. My dissertation gets handed in 30 August, but my final certificate will not be available until approx. November.

I was accepted into a graduate scheme here in the city, which starts 14 September. I know under student entry clearance, I am unable to accept a full time, permanent job, so I want to switch over to to the post-study visa. The job wants me to be under the PSW visa when I start.

Can I apply for this in July/August? I can get a letter from my school stating my provisional grades (I read that this is acceptable if your certificate has yet to be awarded) by then. But someone at my school (a so-called visa adviser) says I can't because I'll still technically be a student and have to wait until my entry clearance is up (in January 2010)

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated...I'm getting really nervous, as I've already accepted the job offer!!

Biswanath

Post by Biswanath » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:15 pm

If you have actually finished your study,you are authorised to work full time even if you hold student visa.If you send email to the email address as below which gives an automatic reply.The automatic reply clearly explains the above.If your employer are reluctant to provide you job with student visa get the pritout of that reply and explain them.good luck.
UKBApublicenquiries@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk

S_hope
Newly Registered

Post by S_hope » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi dude, I didnt recieve any automated reply.
Biswanath wrote:If you have actually finished your study,you are authorised to work full time even if you hold student visa.If you send email to the email address as below which gives an automatic reply.The automatic reply clearly explains the above.If your employer are reluctant to provide you job with student visa get the pritout of that reply and explain them.good luck.
UKBApublicenquiries@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk

dleipold
Newly Registered

Post by dleipold » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:39 pm

Great, thank you - I will try that!! I was concerned because it says I can not take on a permanent job while on student entry clearance. I've gotten conflicting advice on whether or not I can even accept a contract while on SEC. So confusing!

jack199
Member of Standing

Post by jack199 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Surely we can not take full time jobs, but are we still eligible for part time jobs? i.e. 20 hours if you have put an appeal and your appeal decision is pending. Can anybody confirms please.

Olivia_430
Newly Registered

A similiar situation...

Post by Olivia_430 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm

dleipold--Just came across this post in my own desperation regarding a similar subject. I am currently on a student visa (studying for a PGCE) and the jobs in my field are opening NOW for September even though we don't finish until July. Everyone on my course is applying but I haven't even been invited to interview because, as the employers claim, 'I am not an EU-citizen' (still not 100% sure they can make that their reason...but that's another story).

Anyhow, have you had any luck finding information about working during the 'transitional' period between graduating and getting PSW status? I am worried I won't get PSW in time for a September start (if I can convince someone to employ me!)

Also, how on earth did you convince someone to employ you when you don't have the status yet? No one seems to believe me that this scheme exists...as soon as they see 'overseas' they think 'work permit'(!) and start waffling about the 'labour market test restriction' regulations (which don't apply!)

Would appreciate any advice!

dleipold
Newly Registered

Post by dleipold » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 pm

This is all so complicated and feel your pain. The place that offered me a job is large in scale, so they were familiar with the plan, but getting information in general has been a struggle.
I haven't really learned much since that last post, except that I can't get my Tier 1 post study before my job starts. The suggestions I was given from various sources are: obtain a temporary contract that lasts until the visa can be obtained, or, defer the start date. So it's not much of a help, I'm sorry. There have to be so many people in our position, I'm surprised there aren't more people confused like us!