ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Impact of May 5 election?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

denden
Newly Registered

Impact of May 5 election?

Post by denden » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:27 am

I think it would be interesting to hear what people think would be the impact on immigraton if Labour loses to the Conservatives in May.

How might the rules for HSMP, EC, FLR, ILR, etc be affected, if at all? How quickly would any rule changes take effect?

What if the Liberal Democrats won?

When you respond, please say whether or not you are currently living in the UK.

Thanks.

hsmphopeful

Post by hsmphopeful » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:59 am

I am UK resident since last June and I think for those who are already in the country the changes will be minimal, if any. For those who are outside things will get more complicated in any case, regardless of whether Labour wins or not...

makon

Post by makon » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:21 pm

I am in the UK and I strongly feel that if Labour wins there wouldn't be problems. It is Labour who permitted students to work in the UK and it's Labour who introduced HSMP. Recent announcement of immigration law review was just to ensure that they don't lose votes since Conservatives were hammering on immigration issues all the time. But if conservatives win, only God knows. Liberal democrats are in-between, i don't know their views, but I can't be bothered because they wudn't win!

tgs

Post by tgs » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:10 pm

I think labour will change the immigration act, but HSMP will still be there, maybe bit tougher and a getting sponsered work permit would probably be very very hard to get.