ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Scans of stamp 5 and 6?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tom4

Scans of stamp 5 and 6?

Post by tom4 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:20 am

If any of you have stamp 5 or 6 in your passport could you scan or photograph the stamp and post it so we can see what it looks like? (blank out any personal details)

It might help with the confusion that seems to exist.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:22 am

Will do that once i reach home. Stamp 5 or 6 distinction is on GNIB card. On passport difference is in wording. Without condition as compared to without condition as to time.
Regards
tiggs

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 am

Hi Tom,
on passport it just says this for without condition as to time:
"the holder of this passport is allowed to reside in Eire without condition as to time"
Regards
Tiggs

tom4

Post by tom4 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:10 am

Hi tiggs,

Thanks for that.

Does your card say stamp 5 or 6?
Is there a "5" or a "6" anywhere on the stamp?
(Just trying to get to the bottom of this, contradictory websites, etc.)

I still have a while to run on my old stamp so no point in upgrading until I see what the minister says.
It looks like you are on more or less the same timeline as me, let's hope something happens soon.

Tom

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:55 am

Hi Tom,
Yes Gnib card has distinct mention of Stamp 5.

But as you have read LP's comment his Gnib card says 6.. so confusion is still there :)

Regards
Tiggs

Stamp 5:

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stamp5.jpg
Last edited by tiggs on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:27 pm

Hmmm....

Yours seems to make sense, maybe they made a mistake with LP's.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Yea Tom,
Because on both occasion i called INIS they told me stamp 5.. n saw that in print at immigration officer's desk also. But again the fact is people were issued stamp 6 also in several cases, therefore confusion is still on. But status wise both are for indefinate residency (atleast till expiry of passport and can be easily renewed) as compared to LTR.
Regards
Tiggs

lakeside1234
Newly Registered

re

Post by lakeside1234 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey Guys ,how long did it take for you to get the stamp 5 or 6 after application...thanks

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi Lakeside,

Time it took for me:
3 days to get passport stamped (monday i sent by post was back with me on wednesday)
got an appointment with immigration officer, same day gnib card with stamp 5.

Regards
tiggs

Southern_Sky

Stamp 5 vs Stamp 6

Post by Southern_Sky » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 pm

tom4 wrote:Hi tiggs,

Thanks for that.

Does your card say stamp 5 or 6?
Is there a "5" or a "6" anywhere on the stamp?
(Just trying to get to the bottom of this, contradictory websites, etc.)

I still have a while to run on my old stamp so no point in upgrading until I see what the minister says.
It looks like you are on more or less the same timeline as me, let's hope something happens soon.

Tom

The primary difference is that Stamp 5 is for naturalized citizens, and Stamp 6 is for (non-citizens) those with 8 years legal residency.

1. 'Without Condition As To Time' - (Stamp 6) - based on 8 years residency in the State. :
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Wi ... dorsements

and

2. 'Without Condition' - (Stamp 5) - which is not time based but instead based on naturalization or post nuptial citizenship, or through Irish parents/grandparents. :
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Wi ... ndorsement

The Stamp 5 endorsement is particularly useful for those with dual-citizenship, who either wish not to apply for an Irish passport or those who prefer to use their non-Irish passport in certain travel scenarios, but yet show evidence of their citizenship when re-entering the State on their non-Irish passport.

Here is the list of Irish Immigration Stamps 1 - 6 found on the www.entemp.ie website

Stamp 1– Issued to non-EEA nationals in possession of a work permit and to persons granted permission to engage in business in the State

Stamp 2 – Issued to full-time students

Stamp 3– Issued to visitors, tourists, spouses of work permit holders, persons receiving medical treatment and retired persons – employment is prohibited to holders of this Stamp

Stamp 4– Issued to spouses and dependents of EEA nationals, spouses of Irish nationals/parents of Irish citizens who have been granted permission to remain in the State on that basis, persons granted refugee status under the terms of the 1951 Geneva Convention, former asylum seekers granted humanitarian leave to remain and Programme refugees. Holders of this Stamp do not require a work permit or business permission. This Stamp is also issued to holders of Work Authorisations or Working Visas

Stamp 5– Issued to persons who have dual citizenship through; birth in Ireland; parent(s) born in Ireland; grandparent(s) born in Ireland (Foreign Births Register Certificate required from Department of Foreign Affairs); naturalization or post nuptial citizenship

Stamp 6– Issued to non-EEA nationals who have resided in the State for at least 8 years. It is issued based on the individual merits of each

tom4

Post by tom4 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:53 pm

oh, I give up!

Southern Sky, I have seen the list you posted before, and perhaps it's right, but...

tiggs has "without condition as to time" yet his card clearly says stamp "5".
He is certainly not naturalised as he is still waiting for an answer.

Maybe there are just some things in life that we are not meant to understand :roll:

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm

And as i mentioned earlier entemp department doesnt decide on stamps.. inis and justice department does. I saw print outs sent to IO telling it should be stamp 5.

But again as i said before, some people did get stamp6. Unless we see something from inis or justice department. Things are not clear.

I spoke to gal on helpline for citizeninformation.ie (coz that site says stamp 5), she told me thats wat she got from justice department.

Regards
tiggs

Southern_Sky

Stamp 5 vs Stamp 6

Post by Southern_Sky » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 pm

tiggs wrote:And as i mentioned earlier entemp department doesnt decide on stamps.. inis and justice department does. I saw print outs sent to IO telling it should be stamp 5.

But again as i said before, some people did get stamp6. Unless we see something from inis or justice department. Things are not clear.

I spoke to gal on helpline for citizeninformation.ie (coz that site says stamp 5), she told me thats wat she got from justice department.

Regards
tiggs
Indeed Tiggs, that would make more sense, particularly since the No. 6 is higher than number 5, it would suggest a natural progression in one's residency status, culminating with citizenship/naturalization :)

For the benefit of others here's the definitve list of Irish Immigration stamps 1 - 6 on the CitizensInformation.ie site that Tiggs referred to in her post:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/Refer ... -checklist

Thanks Tiggs!

nicepecsigot

Post by nicepecsigot » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:58 pm

im confused why would u bother getting stamped 5 when ur naturalized doesnt make sense naturalized meaning u beecome irish and what is this stamped 5 on about? :roll: :roll: :shock:

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 pm

nicepecsigot wrote:im confused why would u bother getting stamped 5 when ur naturalized doesnt make sense naturalized meaning u beecome irish and what is this stamped 5 on about? :roll: :roll: :shock:
According to http://www.citizensinformation.ie/Refer ... -checklist

Stamp 5 - Issued to non-EEA nationals who have lived in Ireland for at least 8 years and who have been permitted by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform to remain in Ireland without condition as to time.

People holding this stamp are permitted to work without needing an employment permit or business permission. (re: those that are not citizens / not yet naturalized but have been legally resident in Ireland for atleast 8 years)

Stamp 6 - Can be placed on the foreign passport of an Irish citizen who has dual citizenship, and who wants their entitlement to remain in Ireland to be endorsed on their foreign passport.

This stamp certifies that the holder of the passport is permitted to remain in Ireland without condition. (eg: if naturalized citizen (dual-nationality) wishes to use his non-Irish passport for certain trips but when re-entering Ireland with that passport would have to show the Stamp 6 in it to Immigration Control)

Not all naturalized citizens would necessarily apply for an Irish passport, eg Americans, Canadians or Australians/Kiwis. In this case the Stamp 6 would come in handy when travelling on their original passports & re-entering Ireland.

nicepecsigot

Post by nicepecsigot » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:28 pm

thanks southern thats clearer.and i was thinking if i need to get stamped considering ive irish passport now how stupid of me :lol:

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:57 am

nicepecsigot wrote:im confused why would u bother getting stamped 5 when ur naturalized doesnt make sense naturalized meaning u beecome irish and what is this stamped 5 on about? :roll: :roll: :shock:
Only stamp 6 is given for naturalised citizens. I will give you an example where and when it can be used: some countries do not like dual citizenship or at least cause some hassle to their own people who acquired irish citizenship. To avoid these problems, those dual citizens would travel to their own countries with their native passports (not the Irish passports). On entrance to their countries and MOST IMPORTANTLY on their departure from their own countries to Ireland, they need to show an evidence of Irish visa or a residency stamp in their native passports to the immigration officers at the airport as well as to the airlines check in. When they arrive to Ireland they may produce their Irish passport. This is one example of "certain travel scenarios" mentioned in the reason for stamp 6. Another scenario is when the irish passport is lost on holidays so you can produce your own native passport in Dublin airport on arrival, but this is not necessary as you may contact the Irish embassy in your holiday destination requesting a new passport if the time allows.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Seems like the DETE have their stamps mixed up..
http://www.entemp.ie/trade/marketaccess/singlemarket/solvit.htm wrote:Stamp 5– Issued to persons who have dual citizenship through; birth in Ireland; parent(s) born in Ireland; grandparent(s) born in Ireland (Foreign Births Register Certificate required from Department of Foreign Affairs); naturalization or post nuptial citizenship
Stamp 6– Issued to non-EEA nationals who have resided in the State for at least 8 years. It is issued based on the individual merits of each application;
They want to get that corrected, ASAP.

Still, the CitizensInformation.ie link, however, is correct:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/References/checklists/glossary-of-immigration-terms-a-checklist wrote:Stamp number 5
Issued to non-EEA nationals who have lived in Ireland for at least 8 years and who have been permitted by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform to remain in Ireland without condition as to time.
People holding this stamp are permitted to work without needing an employment permit or business permission.

Stamp number 6
Can be placed on the foreign passport of an Irish citizen who has dual citizenship, and who wants their entitlement to remain in Ireland to be endorsed on their foreign passport.
This stamp certifies that the holder of the passport is permitted to remain in Ireland without condition.
The information on INIS page clarifies:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Immigration%20information wrote:Stamp 5: Without Condition As To Time Endorsements

Categories of qualifying persons

1. Applicant has resided legally in the State for more than eight years
2. Applicant has previous passport endorsement

If you have completed 8 years legal residency in Ireland excluding student conditions you may qualify for a "Without Condition as to Time" endorsement. In order for this office to ensure that you qualify for a "Without Condition As To Time" endorsement you are required to submit the following original documents:-

1. All expired passports in respect of yourself, since arriving in the State
2. Your current passport

*and*

Stamp 6: Without Condition Endorsement

1. THROUGH PARENTS:
When one of the applicant's parents was born in the State.
Original documents required:
* Mother’s or father's long-form civil birth certificate
* If claiming through mother, civil marriage certificate is required because of possible change of maiden name
* Applicant's long-form civil birth certificate
* Applicant's current passport
2. THROUGH GRANDPARENT:
Applicant must produce Foreign Births Registration certificate issued by Dept. of Foreign Affairs plus applicant's passport
3. NATURALISATION/ POST NUPTIAL CITIZENSHIP (PNC):
Applicant must produce original naturalisation certificate/Post Nuptial Citizenship (PNC) certificate or Irish passport plus applicant's passport
4. PREVIOUSLY STAMPED:
Any applicant who has a previous Without Condition endorsement may have this stamp renewed in their current passport on production of both expired passport containing the endorsement and their current passport.
In a nutshell:

non-EEA nationals who have 8 years legal residency - Stamp 5.
Irish citizens who hold a non-EEA passport - Stamp 6.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks to all for your replies.

I guess it would all have been obvious if INIS had written "Stamp 5" and "Stamp 6" as appropriate on this page:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Wi ... dorsements

and this one:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Wi ... ndorsement

much as benifa has inserted in his quote above.

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:37 pm

benifa wrote:Seems like the DETE have their stamps mixed up..
http://www.entemp.ie/trade/marketaccess/singlemarket/solvit.htm wrote:Stamp 5– Issued to persons who have dual citizenship through; birth in Ireland; parent(s) born in Ireland; grandparent(s) born in Ireland (Foreign Births Register Certificate required from Department of Foreign Affairs); naturalization or post nuptial citizenship
Stamp 6– Issued to non-EEA nationals who have resided in the State for at least 8 years. It is issued based on the individual merits of each application;
They want to get that corrected, ASAP.

Still, the CitizensInformation.ie link, however, is correct:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/References/checklists/glossary-of-immigration-terms-a-checklist wrote:Stamp number 5
Issued to non-EEA nationals who have lived in Ireland for at least 8 years and who have been permitted by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform to remain in Ireland without condition as to time.
People holding this stamp are permitted to work without needing an employment permit or business permission.

Stamp number 6
Can be placed on the foreign passport of an Irish citizen who has dual citizenship, and who wants their entitlement to remain in Ireland to be endorsed on their foreign passport.
This stamp certifies that the holder of the passport is permitted to remain in Ireland without condition.
The information on INIS page clarifies:
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Immigration%20information wrote:Stamp 5: Without Condition As To Time Endorsements

1. Applicant has resided legally in the State for more than eight years
2. Applicant has previous passport endorsement

If you have completed 8 years legal residency in Ireland excluding student conditions you may qualify for a "Without Condition as to Time" endorsement. In order for this office to ensure that you qualify for a "Without Condition As To Time" endorsement you are required to submit the following original documents:-

1. All expired passports in respect of yourself, since arriving in the State
2. Your current passport

*and*

Stamp 6: Without Condition Endorsement

1. THROUGH PARENTS:
When one of the applicant's parents was born in the State.
Original documents required:
* Mother’s or father's long-form civil birth certificate
* If claiming through mother, civil marriage certificate is required because of possible change of maiden name
* Applicant's long-form civil birth certificate
* Applicant's current passport
2. THROUGH GRANDPARENT:
Applicant must produce Foreign Births Registration certificate issued by Dept. of Foreign Affairs plus applicant's passport
3. NATURALISATION/ POST NUPTIAL CITIZENSHIP (PNC):
Applicant must produce original naturalisation certificate/Post Nuptial Citizenship (PNC) certificate or Irish passport plus applicant's passport
4. PREVIOUSLY STAMPED:
Any applicant who has a previous Without Condition endorsement may have this stamp renewed in their current passport on production of both expired passport containing the endorsement and their current passport.
In a nutshell:

non-EEA nationals who have 8 years legal residency - Stamp 5.
Irish citizens who hold a non-EEA passport - Stamp 6.
Hi Beifa,

When I rang INIS to enquire about this (early February) they told me I would be getting a Stamp 6. Then I came across the contradiction between the DETE website and the CitizensInformation website. So I printed both pages out and brought them with me when I went to GNIB.
When I was in the GNIB the officer told me I was going to get a Stamp 5. Then I showed him the two websites and told him INIS told me on the phone I should get Stamp 6. He went away to ask. When he came back he told me I would be getting a Stamp 6.

And I got a Stamp 6.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:41 pm

LuasPassenger wrote:Hi Beifa,

When I rang INIS to enquire about this (early February) they told me I would be getting a Stamp 6. Then I came across the contradiction between the DETE website and the CitizensInformation website. So I printed both pages out and brought them with me when I went to GNIB.
When I was in the GNIB the officer told me I was going to get a Stamp 5. Then I showed him the two websites and told him INIS told me on the phone I should get Stamp 6. He went away to ask. When he came back he told me I would be getting a Stamp 6.

And I got a Stamp 6.
Hi LuasPassenger,

Perfect example of the GNIB and the INIS non-communication.

May I ask, are you an Irish citizen, or are you a non-EEA national with 8 years residency?

lakeside1234
Newly Registered

re

Post by lakeside1234 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi all,
Now this is very confusing,if I am an EU family member..I get a stamp4EU card upon arrival in Ireland and after 5 years I am entitled to a permanent residence card...so would that be a stamp 4B. 5 or 6 .Irish immigration is very ambigiuos and complicated!!

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: re

Post by Ben » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:40 pm

lakeside1234 wrote:Hi all,
Now this is very confusing,if I am an EU family member..I get a stamp4EU card upon arrival in Ireland and after 5 years I am entitled to a permanent residence card...so would that be a stamp 4B. 5 or 6 .Irish immigration is very ambigiuos and complicated!!
I don't personally know of anyone who has gained 5 years residency as the family member of an EEA national, but I believe that it should be Stamp 5. Or possibly "Stamp 5 EUFam".

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:18 pm

benifa wrote:Hi LuasPassenger,

May I ask, are you an Irish citizen, or are you a non-EEA national with 8 years residency?
I'm a non-EEA national with 8 years residency. I have been on work permits until now that I've applied for "without condition as to time" endorsement (Stamp 6).

I have applied for Irish citizenship as well. I applied in 2006 and I'm still waiting for decision. But this is separate from the "without condition as to time" endorsement.

LP.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:40 am

LuasPassenger wrote:
benifa wrote:Hi LuasPassenger,

I'm a non-EEA national with 8 years residency. I have been on work permits until now that I've applied for "without condition as to time" endorsement (Stamp 6).

I have applied for Irish citizenship as well. I applied in 2006 and I'm still waiting for decision. But this is separate from the "without condition as to time" endorsement.

LP.
"without condition as to time" endorsement is Stamp 5.
"without condition" endorsement is Stamp 6.

Since you are not an Irish citizen at this time, you should have been given Stamp 5, not Stamp 6. Well done GNIB. :roll:

I wouldn't worry though, it effectively make no difference to you. Once your naturalisation application is completed, and you are an Irish citizen, Stamp 6 would then be correct for you in any case.