ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Shall I tell my current employer I have a Tier1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

girlinLondon

Shall I tell my current employer I have a Tier1

Post by girlinLondon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi,

I got my Tier1 stamped sometime back. I was initially on work permit tier2 valid till nov 09.How safe is it to tell my current employer that I have a tier1?

I work for an indian software company.

Thanks,
GiL

aaammmiii

Re: Shall I tell my current employer I have a Tier1

Post by aaammmiii » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:42 pm

girlinLondon wrote:Hi,

I got my Tier1 stamped sometime back. I was initially on work permit tier2 valid till nov 09.How safe is it to tell my current employer that I have a tier1?

Thanks,
GiL
Your work permit is supperceeded by the Teir1 visa, you should inform your employer HR accrodingly.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:08 pm

Thanks,
GiL
Hi,

Even I was in the same situation as you are and I honestly informed my HR that I shifted to Tier I but I dont have any intentions to leave the company. :) But ultimately I did :twisted:

Just play it cool and inform them about the change since they need to make sure that the records are right for the company with the Home office!

V

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:36 pm

When your new Visa came into effect, your old visa already got cancelled. So if your employer wants to find out your status they can alway get the status from Home Office(or from you directly).

I wouldn't tell my employer about my visa change status unless explicitly asked. I don't think you would be in fault if you don't inform them, as they have to keep track on the employee visas(and have a dedicated team of the same) not you.

I have seen many people treated step motherly after they informed HR about their HSMP guess HR presumed employees are planning to leave. It will send unnecessary false alarms.

girlinLondon

Post by girlinLondon » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks all for the reply.

netacct

Post by netacct » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Its simple...You changed to Tier I because you to want to change the employer... :D

I did not tell my employer when I changed the visa, my friends did not tell...
everything is fine as long as you have valid visa to work...

girlinLondon

Post by girlinLondon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 am

netacct wrote:Its simple...You changed to Tier I because you to want to change the employer... :D

I did not tell my employer when I changed the visa, my friends did not tell...
everything is fine as long as you have valid visa to work...
ok got it ... thanks ...

ssuresh83

Post by ssuresh83 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:03 am

you have mentioned not to tell employer abt tier 1 visa.

please help me in my scenario.
i am submittin my application from chennai vfs tomorrow . So after submtting i need to inform my HR , that VFS guys might call you for verification.
can you suggest how to handle this situation .
Suresh S

ssuresh83

tackle HR after TIER 1 submission

Post by ssuresh83 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 pm

please help me in my scenario.
i am submittin my application from chennai vfs tomorrow . So after submtting i need to inform my HR , that VFS guys might call you for verification.
can you guys please suggest how to handle this situation .

drjabberwocky23

Re: tackle HR after TIER 1 submission

Post by drjabberwocky23 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:38 pm

ssuresh83 wrote:please help me in my scenario.
can you guys please suggest how to handle this situation .
It's a tricky scenario, but there's no way around it. Theyn may not contact your employer directly, but if they do, then they will find out anyway. It's hard to know what to do in this situation, as it clearly shows that you are looking to leave the company. Still, I would hope they would be symnpathetic towards you.

If you're already in the UK on a work permit and then apply for Tier 1, I would hope that no employer would treat an employee badly for this, as it does not mean that the employee is definitely looking to leave the company. In some ways, it solves a number of problems for both the employee and the company.

ssuresh83

Post by ssuresh83 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks drjabberwocky23

i am not in wp . i am workng in bangalore.

please do comment on this post , certainly needed help

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 787#233787
Suresh S

girlinLondon

Post by girlinLondon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:40 pm

thanks for your help.

lilmeiow2008
Newly Registered

Post by lilmeiow2008 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:26 pm

You must inform your employer, reason:

1. according to your employer you are working on work permit but where as your work permit is not valid any more. It will be i your own benefit to inform your employer.

Tell them you do not have any intentions of leaving the company but because of current global situation it is better to have my own visa.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:05 am

lilmeiow2008 wrote:because of current global situation it is better to have my own visa.
Why somebody would spend so mucf of money in such global situation.People are trying to stock to their guns with their head down. This argument will blow you :lol:

lilmeiow2008
Newly Registered

Post by lilmeiow2008 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 am

What if company goes bankrupt? Recently HO have been doing spot checks even in the big companies for employees. If employer produces a work permit document and HO says this WP is not valid anymore. What explanation will you give to your employer at that time?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:51 am

lilmeiow2008 wrote:What if company goes bankrupt?
If company goes bankrupt, then they will not ask you :D

Recently HO have been doing spot checks even in the big companies for employees. If employer produces a work permit document and HO says this WP is not valid anymore. What explanation will you give to your employer at that time?[/quote]
If home office found that WP is expired so what? Good for employer, he can get WP for one another employee instead.

I think it should be fine if you don't inform. Better keep it quite unless asked. You can tell you employer if they ask you. I did the same and many other and companies know this fact. If you are preparing, getting visa for yourself...you will leave sooner or later.

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 am

Actually broadly speaking informing your employer before/after your Tier1(G) application depends mainly how broad minded the employer/reporting manager is keeping the current crisis in view..

Like in my situation my employer was ready to renew my WP, got the sponserlicence only for me becos other employees or either british or from a country where they dont require SL.. than i went to my Manager explained that i want to stay with the company n love working with them... but looking that current global crisis n the impact of it on every company n the way companies closing down.. i would like to try for T1(G) n if that fails i will go with the renewal of WP.. that way i told i will save ur money for my application.. n services charge..

They understood, supported me and once i got my approval news yesterday.. they are all happy for me.. when both Employer n employee are happy than wat more can either of us will ask for..

Bottom line: i think the situation varies based on ur relation with ur employer visaversa.. and how broadly can one be..

This is just My Opinion/experience

Goodluck

girlinLondon

Post by girlinLondon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:34 pm

thanks all .. please share any other experience if relevant ..

wptotier177
Newly Registered

Post by wptotier177 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Depending on how long you have been in UK, your Income tax liability depends on your visa status. If i am not mistaken, work permit holders dont pay IT for the first two years.

If your employer takes care of your tax, as most Indian software majors do, they may not be paying IT for you during the first two years of your stay in WP. The moment you switch to Tier 1, you have to start paying income tax.

girlinLondon

Post by girlinLondon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:42 pm

wptotier177 wrote:Depending on how long you have been in UK, your Income tax liability depends on your visa status. If i am not mistaken, work permit holders dont pay IT for the first two years.

If your employer takes care of your tax, as most Indian software majors do, they may not be paying IT for you during the first two years of your stay in WP. The moment you switch to Tier 1, you have to start paying income tax.
but we do pay tax even while on WP. so in that case am I at a lesser risk?

ejobs_01

Post by ejobs_01 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:30 pm

wptotier177 wrote:Depending on how long you have been in UK, your Income tax liability depends on your visa status. If i am not mistaken, work permit holders dont pay IT for the first two years.

Hi wptotier177,

As far as I have heard, I think you don't pay IT whilst working here on WP or any other work visa if you leave UK permanently within 2 years i.e. you can reclaim your taxes. I think you will be paying taxes here if employed unless you are seconded.

I could be wrong on this and maybe someone could chip in with their experience.

Regards,

wptotier177
Newly Registered

Post by wptotier177 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:49 pm

ejobs_01, I dont have first hand information on the tax policy. perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment.. but to answer the original question from the thread, current employer may object to your Tier 1 visa if it increases their cost or if they feel you might quit.
ejobs_01 wrote:

Hi wptotier177,

As far as I have heard, I think you don't pay IT whilst working here on WP or any other work visa if you leave UK permanently within 2 years i.e. you can reclaim your taxes. I think you will be paying taxes here if employed unless you are seconded.

I could be wrong on this and maybe someone could chip in with their experience.

Regards,