ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

COA straight after EEA divorce..Is it worth applying at all?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Juv
BANNED

COA straight after EEA divorce..Is it worth applying at all?

Post by Juv » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Hello there, would appreciate any help on the following matter.

Got my 5 year Residence card in 2005, valid until april 2010. Right now, in the middle of divorce on the basis of a seperation for 2 years, so clearly do not qualify for retention of rights as haven't got proof of 3 years living together.
Planning to get married to my british boyfriend as soon as the divorce is finalised (3-4 month according to my solicitor).
My questions to you guys are:
1.what do you reckon my chances are on getting COA?
2.will HO ask for info about my ex, as in some cases here (there's no chance of him cooperating since we separated) even if i'm not applying for retention of rights?
3.even if COA is issued and I get married here, will I have to go to my home country to apply for a spouse visa?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

P.S. I have read all the topics on similar matters, but your help is still very much appreciated.

isceon

Post by isceon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:28 pm

what does you make you think that u don t qualify for retention of residence?
when did u get married to the EEA citizen?
When did u start the divorce?
If it s more than 3 years then apply for the retention right u can only risk to be refused and u can appeal afterward.
The Ho is requesting unecesssary docs all the time but judges are crushing all the decisions related to this matter.
Then once u apply for retention (u would have continuity of legality in this country)u can apply for the coa and if ur relationship is genuine it will be approved no matter.
Get in touch with a good sollicitor about the retention right.
PS:Even if u don't apply for the retention right and u don't have valid leave to remain that won't affect ur right to marry as per house of lord judgement case Baia and others.
Good luck

Juv
BANNED

Post by Juv » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Hello Isceon, thank you your reply.
I'm sure i do not qualify for retention of rights just because i do not have proof of relationship for 3 years, as we got married in feb 2005 and he left me in october 2006, so i started the divorce proccedings based on 2 year separation this february.
I would love to know from other people's experiences if I should apply for COA (we have been living together, both working) here after informing HO (by post?) about my divorce, maybe after getting decree nisi but before the decree absolute?
Going home to get married is not a big problem, but I'm just being promoted, so it would be a real shame to lose my job now, if I'm to organise the wedding and applying for the spouse visa will take god knows how long...
Best wishes.

isceon

Post by isceon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:19 pm

Juv wrote:Hello Isceon, thank you your reply.
I'm sure i do not qualify for retention of rights just because i do not have proof of relationship for 3 years, as we got married in feb 2005 and he left me in october 2006, so i started the divorce proccedings based on 2 year separation this february.
I would love to know from other people's experiences if I should apply for COA (we have been living together, both working) here after informing HO (by post?) about my divorce, maybe after getting decree nisi but before the decree absolute?
Going home to get married is not a big problem, but I'm just being promoted, so it would be a real shame to lose my job now, if I'm to organise the wedding and applying for the spouse visa will take god knows how long...
Best wishes.
Right
are u a lawyer to be convinced u don t have right ?My reading is u might qualify but it is just an opinion.
The directive say the divorce has lasted more than 3 years prior to the divorce proceeding started with 1 year in the UK.condition established for ur case married 2005 started divorce feb 2009 that is 4 years ur case.Separation is not a divorce during that that period u were a family member of an EEA.
Now the proofs:
divorce can be sometimes very stressfull and the spouses in major cases end up in really bad term wich one can always argue with the Ho.
Speak to a lawyer.
If u are in london I could pm u the details of a good one .

Swan

Post by Swan » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Juv
isceon is right,
We are in the same situation, my fiance was divorced to his EEA wife based on 2 years separation, we applied for retention on rights on advice of our lawyer, it was rejected because of stupid reasons (see my post entiteled COA pending while COA revoked), we have appealed and waiting now, meanwhile we just received the COA and getting married in 2 weeks time ..
bottom line: 3 years is counted from the date of the mariage until the date of the start of the divorce proceedings.
you apparently need proof of one year cohabitation in the UK.
we also thought there was no way to apply for retention because we don't have proof of 3 years cohabitation but the rules are clear about that...what the HO seem to be making a fuss about is the employment details and ID of the EEA spouse which is not justified by the rules...

Isceon knows what he talking about, i suggest you get a good solicitor, ..
good luck

Juv
BANNED

Post by Juv » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:10 pm

hello Swan, thank you for your reply. I've read about your situation and spoke to my solicitor (thank you isceon for offering help with yours) and he recons i should apply for COA after my divorce.
Did your fiance apply for one after decree absolute was issued? Also, you said that you had found out your fiance's ex was on benefits etc... Did you give that info to HO as well? I'm asking just because my ex has no contact with me whatsoever and that makes me think i have no chance to keep my residence this way (I know isceon is right but my situation is slightly...hopeless, i guess :roll: ).
I still don't know if after receiving COA i will still have to go home for a visa or apply here... I guess i'll keep reading your post updates and make up my mind later.

anyway, congrats on getting COA and best wishes for you both!

edro

Post by edro » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:57 pm

[quote="Juv"]hello Swan, thank you for your reply. I've read about your situation and spoke to my solicitor (thank you isceon for offering help with yours) and he recons i should apply for COA after my divorce.
Did your fiance apply for one after decree absolute was issued? Also, you said that you had found out your fiance's ex was on benefits etc... Did you give that info to HO as well? I'm asking just because my ex has no contact with me whatsoever and that makes me think i have no chance to keep my residence this way (I know isceon is right but my situation is slightly...hopeless, i guess :roll: ).
I still don't know if after receiving COA i will still have to go home for a visa or apply here... I guess i'll keep reading your post updates and make up my mind later.

anyway, congrats on getting COA and best wishes for you both![/quote]
hi
i was in a worse situation than yours but i got coa,when you apply they will ask you proof of bing togather for sometime,(if you get married in charch of england you wont need coa),2, probably you will need to apply for visa from home country but with merried certificat your visa process will be much shorter.

Juv
BANNED

Post by Juv » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:46 pm

hey Edro, thanks for your reply. were you divorced as well? I think i will apply after getting decree nisi with all docs proving my current relationship + affidavits, so they don't request anything later.

Swan

Post by Swan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Juv wrote:hello Swan, thank you for your reply. I've read about your situation and spoke to my solicitor (thank you isceon for offering help with yours) and he recons i should apply for COA after my divorce.

anyway, congrats on getting COA and best wishes for you both!
Juv
to answer your questions, after receiving the decree absolute, we first applied for my COA (because I am not an EEA my self), our solicitor suggested we do that first and not apply for a COa for my fiance because he should retain his right of residence and hence not require a COA, if the HO accept that, it would be a way to check that they accepted him to retain his right..
my COA was delayed ...and we then found out that they delayed it because of this issue, they were not sure of his actual status, then the HO decided to revoke his residence, that's when the COA peopel sent me a letter asking me to send a fresh COa application for my fiance because he now falls under the category of not having a valid visa, we were also asked for proofs of genuine relationship and affidavits ..etc...
4 weeks after that we recieved both COAs, meanwhile he is waiting for his appeal to go through the court for the retention, and we are getting married. If the appeal comes negative, he will go home and apply for spouse visa to join me (i would be settled by then under the 10 years rule).

about his ex, we didn't provide info about her simply because we didn't have any (apart from the fact that she was on jobseekers allowance or sth), so we didn't give the HO anything about her and may be that's why they rejected the retention, they asked for her employment details at teh time of the divorce.
our lawyer is convinced they haven't got the right to ask for that so we are waiting what the judge says !

I hope this helps ...

Juv
BANNED

Post by Juv » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Thank you so much Swan. Enjoy your special day and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

shandave2001

Post by shandave2001 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi Juv

Firstly, I think you must clear up couple of misunderstandings which are apparent from your above posts. Under EU law, it is irrelevant when you were issued RC by the HO and until when it is valid. Rather what is important is when you GOT MARRIED with a qualified EEA national in UK. Your residence right in UK start from the day you got married to a qualified EEA national in UK, not when you have been issued with RC. RC is just confirmation of the right you have already acquired on the day of marriage with a qualified EEA national.

Now there seem to be another misunderstanding. You may have been negating 2 years' separation period from Feb 2009 (divorce initiation start time) when counting time for Retention Right. No, you don't have to, even your divorce is based on 2 years' separation with your ex. The clock start when divorce is initiated, which is Feb 2009.

So clearly you have completed 3 years period needed to qualify for the Retention Right, namely from the date of marriage (Feb 05) to when divorce proceedings initiated (Feb 09). Now second limb of the test is, post marriage, you and your ex husband must have lived together one year in the UK. You fulfil second limb of the test as well, as you stated he (your ex) left you in Oct 2006, so almost one year and 8 months after the marriage.

So far so good. Now we move to a different issue which does not seem to have been debated in this board so far. You said he left you in Oct 2006. The question is, did he leave the UK permanently when leaving you in Oct 2006? If yes, then you was still legally spouse of a EEA national but the PROBLEM is EEA national was no longer qualified, namely not exercising his treaty rights in the UK anymore. If the answer is no, namely he did not leave UK when leaving you in Oct 06, and after marriage he resided at least total 3 years in UK before divorce initiated, then there is no problem and you entitled to Retention Rights.

Now the problem we facing here is how the HO can know whether he was in UK after leaving you in Oct 2006? You are not expected to have evidence of you being together with your ex beyond Oct 06 (when he left you). I think that is the reason HO asks evidence of qualified EEA national living in UK up to 3 years post marriage. As far as I am aware that is something no where in relevant Directive that EEA national must live in UK for 3 years post marriage but mere HO's INTERPRETATION. If this interpretation is successfully challenged in courts, then its means, it doesn't matter if EEA national leave permanently after one year of marriage as long as marriage subsists at least for 3 years or in other words divorce is not initiated before 3 years have lapsed.

It seems reason HO have asked evidence up to when divorce was initiated because in those individual cases divorces have been initiated after 3 years of marriage, so rather than saying up to 3 years, they used the term up to divorce.

An important thing, the burden of proof is on APPLICANTS, NOT ON HO to prove their marriage lasted at least for 3 years before divorce initiated and the controversial issue (EEA national was in UK during those 3 years).

Not everything can be clarified by law, this is something POLICY area. I understand the logic how can you be expected to have evidence from ex when u split up. However, HO has point too. To summarise, post marriage total 3 years, one must be in UK, but what if EEA national leaves UK PERMANENTLY or make his permanent residence in his own country before 3 years have passed after marriage? I opine this is something depend on interpretation. If in favour of applicants, then we have to say literal meaning that 3 years total post marriage with one year in UK, and IT DOES NOT MATTER IF EEA NATIONAL HAS LEFT UK PERMANENTLY OR MIGHT HAVE LEFT UK PERMANENTLY BEFORE 3 YEARS LAPSED AFTER MARRIAGE.

Juv, Certificate of Approval has no link at all with your ex, but it has link with your present partner. So HO wouldn't ask for ex's details when you apply for COA. Yes it is better to send afidavits and other inf in advance when applying for COA (HO website has relevant inf). If you can marry in Church of England then no need of COA. Marriage not finished until you got decree absolute, so wait until you receive decree absolute before applying for COA. After House of Lords decision in case of Baiai and others (R on the application of) v SSHD [2008] UKHL 53, there is no basis of CAO but HO like £295 per person coming in in the name of COA.

Whether you need to go back to your country even if you get COA. It is depend if HO accepts you have leave to live under Right of Retention from previous relationship. If HO does not accept you have Retention Right, then it MUST consider whether you have STRONG TIES with this country before asking you to apply from your home country (as a decision of House of Lord last year). I understand you would be thinking what is the best option in current circumstances. I will answer my opinion in next post.
Last edited by shandave2001 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shandave2001

Post by shandave2001 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:42 pm

After marriage with your British partner, even you get spouse visa from UK, bear in mind, once again, this visa will be dependent on your prospective husband. This will be 2 years' spouse visa (probationary period) and you will be entitled to indefinite leave after 2 years rather than 3 or 5 years under EU route. Here (under British route) clock start from the issue date of spousal visa, not marriage.

However, who knows how the relationship goes with your future husband (I am not being cynical). In case, relationship break down before two yeras have passed, you will lose right to stay in this country and liable to be removed (domestic violence exception).

One way spousal visa is worse than work permit as one has no rights on its own. I suggest don't be on others' mercy once again by depending on spouse visa, keep and apply for Retention Right from your previous relationship, as at least it is your own right without depending on your spouse. Don't worry if HO refuse or stand impediments in your way, you can challenge in court (AIT). Even if HO doesn't recognise, Right of Retention still exist as it is under EU law.

From visa point of view, Retention Right is better than continue relationship as one doesn't have to keep marriage certificate with her/him when travelling, or assure immigration officers at airports that there is my EEA National husband/partner who is still exercising treaty rights in the UK.

At same time, you can get married to your British partner and apply for spousal visa under British law. Keep both until you get indefinite leave/permanent residence, whichever is the earlier.

Good luck, your case is interesting (I understand confusing for you), keep inform this board about any development as other will benefit.

Juv
BANNED

Post by Juv » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Thank you for such a quick reply, shandave.
according to my ex's friend, he has left for his own country after losing his job and it's unclear if and when he is back (aaah, freedom of movement...), which is the main reason why i do not want to get involved in applying for retention of rights, knowing that ho will rightfully ask for more docs.
the only thing that bothers me if it is worth applying for COA straight after divorce WITHOUT applying for retention of rights.
i will definitely let everyone know how it went.

amine
Newly Registered

Post by amine » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:38 am

Juv wrote:Thank you for such a quick reply, shandave.
according to my ex's friend, he has left for his own country after losing his job and it's unclear if and when he is back (aaah, freedom of movement...), which is the main reason why i do not want to get involved in applying for retention of rights, knowing that ho will rightfully ask for more docs.
the only thing that bothers me if it is worth applying for COA straight after divorce WITHOUT applying for retention of rights.
i will definitely let everyone know how it went.
oh girl i'm in the same mess..

guys your advice is needed...

Married 12-03
5 year granted 12-04
i only have her payslips & P60s up to 06-07

she left UK to sunny spain few months later..
havn't innitiated divorce yet!

by the way i entered the UK legaly on 09-01

Now at the end of my 5 year, 12-09 i would have completed 8 years legal residence...

Retention of right i doubt it very much, how about 10 year long residence, i just wait, don't divorce,..and apply then

or should i pack my things? mind you there's stuning beachs south of morocco, much better than spain.. :lol:

TM_0108
Newly Registered

Post by TM_0108 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:30 pm

shandave2001 wrote: Juv, Certificate of Approval has no link at all with your ex, but it has link with your present partner. So HO wouldn't ask for ex's details when you apply for COA.
Hi

Interesting, I am in almost the same situation as Juv...
But HO has asked me for some information (employment at initiation of divorce...) about my EEA ex, although I am just applying for CoA. The HO letter says that it is to "determine if I have kept my rights of residence".
This is a bit strange and annoying since we are not in good terms any more and he has left the country (seems to be a trend... :roll: )

So according to you, this could be challenged in court?
If someone can recommend a good lawyer in London with some experience on this topic pm me...

Juv
BANNED

Post by Juv » Wed May 20, 2009 12:34 am

hello, could you please tell me if theyasked for any more info or docs regarding your ex? thank you.

TM_0108
Newly Registered

Post by TM_0108 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 am

Hi Juv

Thanks for the reply. Well... HO wrote to me after 6 weeks and said "In order to establish that you have retained your right of residence in the u.k." I have to provide them my ex's employment detail from his work. I'm afraid that my application will be reject cause I fail to provide the letter from my ex and there's no way that he'll cooperate with me.
What shall I explain to HO that he's not cooperating with me and I do not keep detail of him at all since the marriage broke down?
Thanks a lot.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 20, 2009 10:26 am

shandave2001 wrote:Firstly, I think you must clear up couple of misunderstandings which are apparent from your above posts. Under EU law, it is irrelevant when you were issued RC by the HO and until when it is valid. Rather what is important is when you GOT MARRIED with a qualified EEA national in UK. Your residence in UK start from the day you got married to a qualified EEA national in UK, not when you have been issued with RC. RC is just confirmation of the right you have already acquired on the day of marriage with a qualified EEA national.
This is very correct and very important.

TM_0108
Newly Registered

Post by TM_0108 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:33 am

HI Directive/2004/38/EC

I do understand a little bit about the right of residence and I don't see the way I can retain my right as my ex has no interested in helping me and we didn't break up in good manners. What I'm concerned that I'm applying for CoA which my understanding is I have to proof that my relationship with my fiance (he's french) is genuine in term to get CoA, also I think they might want to see if I retain my right of residence at the time of initiation of proceeding the divorce to my ex husband( british nationality)
but I have no proof of my ex at all, don't even know where he is!!

Would HO reject my application just because of that?
I have read other people's situations many of their marriage didn't ended up well neither, How do you explain to HO that there's no way you can make them cooperate with you?

Thank you in advance.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 20, 2009 11:40 am

TM_0108

You are in the UK and you are presently legally married to a UK citizen? Were you previously living with your spouse in another EU country?

I would start reading as much as possible from http://eumovement.wordpress.com/directive-200438ec/

TM_0108
Newly Registered

Post by TM_0108 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:24 pm

To your questions, yes I'm in the u.k. and legally married in Bangkok in 2004 then moved to spain in November same year then moved to the u.k. in June 2005 when I've granted a 5 year residency visa until november 2010. We started proceeding the divorce in August 2008 and received decree absolute in March 2009. We split up after 11 months of living together. I don't want to have anything to do with him anymore that's why I applied for CoA instead of retention right of residence cause I know that's just going to cause me more grief as he is such a pain and nothing in this world will make him help me with the papers.
Thanks for the website I'll have a look at it in a min.

Best regards.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 20, 2009 2:04 pm

TM_0108 wrote:To your questions, yes I'm in the u.k. and legally married in Bangkok in 2004 then moved to spain in November same year then moved to the u.k. in June 2005 when I've granted a 5 year residency visa until november 2010. We started proceeding the divorce in August 2008 and received decree absolute in March 2009. We split up after 11 months of living together. I don't want to have anything to do with him anymore that's why I applied for CoA instead of retention right of residence cause I know that's just going to cause me more grief as he is such a pain and nothing in this world will make him help me with the papers.
Super summary of your situation!

I think you have a very good case for getting the EEA Permanent Residence Card if you apply for it. I would definitely do it if I were you. There is no downside, as far as I can tell. And I do not see why your ex-spouse would need to be involved. The Directive explicitly foresees that couples can divorce, and no reasonable person would expect divorced couples to always be communicative and cooperative.

Why do you think you need to apply for a CoA? Who have you talked with about it?

TM_0108
Newly Registered

Post by TM_0108 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi Directive/2004/38/EC

first thought that came to my mind before I decide to apply for CoA is try to apply for retention right of residence, at that time I'm already in a relationship with my fiance and he wants to marry me as soon as the divorce finalized, now Directive/2004/38/EC I don't apply for CoA only just because I try to stay in the U.K. it's also because we want to really get married and it's genuine relationship, now I found out after I applied for CoA that I'm pregnant (we are over the moon), so this is the best for the child and according to your post I'm qualify to apply for a permanent residence card that is absolutely a bonus! but I do want to get CoA cause then we can get married.
I have to submit additional documents this week unfortunately I have to submit them without my ex's employment detail, I can only try to explain to HO why I can't provide them my ex's detail, so fingers cross :) What do you think? Any chance of getting it?

Thanks so much for your advice , I did have a look at the website you gave to me and I'll show to my fiance when he gets home.
Thank you again

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Congrats on the coming baby. Enjoy your last days of good sleep! :-)

I am no expert on COA, but I do not think you are required to apply for a COA. Why do you think you need it?

You are not subject to immigration controls, as far as I know, since you entered the UK on the basis of EU law. Your rights under EU law do not necessarily go away just because you divorce, so long as you were together for long enough.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visit ... fapproval/
says
The rules on certificate of approval do not apply to you if you:

* are a British citizen; or
* are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA); or
* are the family member of an EEA national and have right of residence in the United Kingdom but are not yourself an EEA national; or
* have in your passport a certificate of entitlement giving you right of abode in the United Kingdom; or
* are not subject to immigration control.
I would urge you to contact the EU's Citizen Signpost services for their opinion on whether you are still in the UK on the basis of European law. http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/

Note also UK citizens are not required to apply for a COA. And so you, here under European law, can also not be required to apply for it.

TM_0108
Newly Registered

Post by TM_0108 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi Directive/2004/38/EC

Thanks for your advice and knowledge. I have contact the EU's Citizen Signpost services for their opinion. Just have to wait see what they say :)

Thanks