ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa for wife

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

madmart132
Newly Registered

Schengen visa for wife

Post by madmart132 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:32 am

Hi hoping that somebody can help me on this forum , I am a UK and Irish citizen living and working in Spain at the moment . I have been married to my Moroccan wife now for 6 months .
I am getting a little tired of having to go to Morocco and would like my wife to be able to come and see me in Spain and spend time with me there especially as I cannot afford to take the time off of work at the moment . We are going to apply for a schengen visa for her to be able to come to Spain when she wants , is there anything that we should know ? IE how much money in bank, own house etc ? We had a very bad experience with the British Consulate and I do not want to put her through that again so any tips would be appreciated Thanks

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:14 am

Check the Spanish embassy's site for the details.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 am

Dear madmart,

as a British citizen working in Spain you are covered by European directive 2004/38. See the links below for information. Unless your wife is a wanted terrorist or a severe threat to public health in Spain, she basically has an unlimited right to be with you in Spain and to travel with you throughout the European Union, regardless of her nationality. A Schengen visa must be granted (free of charge) and should be free from any conditions like money or insurance.

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l33152.htm
Very useful explanation from the European Commision http://ec.europa.eu/commission_barroso/ ... _ec_en.pdf
http://eumovement.wordpress.com/directive-200438ec/

madmart132
Newly Registered

Post by madmart132 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:38 am

Sorry to come back to this post , next week I am returning to morocco to apply for my wifes Schengen visa . Unfortunately everything written about the Spanish Consulates appears to be true !!!
They have asked for our marriage certificate to be stamped by the UK Consulate ( or registered ?) The Uk consulate had already told us that they do not stamp or register the certificate ? What can I do about that ?
I have the following Spanish documents
My Spanish NIE number
My Spanish house deeds
My Spanish bank account
My Spanish resdencia or apajement
what else could I need ?
Help would be welcomed !!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:02 am

You need to get a friend or relative in the UK to take your marriage certificate and get an apostille copy of it. It is just a confirmation from the authority who issued the certificate confirming that it is authentic document.

It is done by the registry office for a minimal fee. I shall forward the link to you shortly.

This is the link showing you how to obtain this legalisation stamp or apostille stamp
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:41 am

I guess you need a certified translation into Spanish of your marriage certificate. Within the EU an apostille should not be necessary for documents issued by another member state. If you married outside the EU it's a different situation, however.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:37 am

fysicus wrote: Within the EU an apostille should not be necessary for documents issued by another member state. If you married outside the EU it's a different situation, however.
I have a UK Birth certificate, as well as UK Marriage certificate, but we still had to get them apostilled when we were moving back to The Netherlands.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:10 am

well, in the opposite direction, UK did not require apostille for any of my Dutch documents. In Holland it is possible to get a so-called international version of (in my case) marriage certificate, which means that all information is in four languages: Dutch (of course), English, German and French.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:15 am

fysicus wrote:well, in the opposite direction, UK did not require apostille for any of my Dutch documents. In Holland it is possible to get a so-called international version of (in my case) marriage certificate, which means that all information is in four languages: Dutch (of course), English, German and French.
Yeah! I found it quite wierd that they would ask for UK documents, which are in English obviously, to be apostilled! I thought it didn't matter if they were English, Dutch, French or something else...German, I think!

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Can you not request an international marriage certificate? I thought in the EU that all countries had to supply you with the international if requested? I know I got mine in Italy, it was multilingual....have to say it look like a 5 year old had made it for me though!

madmart132
Newly Registered

Post by madmart132 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:15 am

Wow now I am confused !!
1st) we got married in morocco
2nd) my wife is still there ( In Morocco )
3rd)I work in Spain but for a UK Company
4th) I have land in Spain , and a registered address
5th) what is an aposittille ?
6th) do I have correct documents ?
Sorry about delay and confusion here but my wife is really panicking now do we have what we need ? or not ?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:21 am

Sorry about that, bacause they asked that you marriage certificate be stamped by the British Authorities, i thought you have a UK marriage Certificate.

Ignore that bit of my advise then. If they insist on a certified copy, you can get the registry in Morocco to authenticate you marriage certificate and also get it translated in Spanish.

The British consulate a perfectly right not to stamp a document they didn't issue.

Why don't you apply for a visa from other consulate and use it to Spain. As a family member of an EEA national, your non-EEA wife will be allowed to do that.

Why don't you try the Dutch or Polish Embassy, if the Spanish are becoming a pain .

Under EU law, you are allowed to bring in your wife and not supposed to pay anything for the visa. You only need proof of your relationship and evidence of your EEA nationality for the visa to be issued.

Remember those visa have equal value as the Spanish Issued Schengen.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors