ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

South African Student visa for Canadian citizen

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

stefufay
Newly Registered

South African Student visa for Canadian citizen

Post by stefufay » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:53 am

I am a canadian citizen travelling Europe and will be arriving in South Africa via Cargo ship (cruise) in May. I would like to stay in South Africa and find a college to attend for the next year.

Do I need to be admitted to a college before I can get the student visa? Some of the colleges I have spoken to have said I should come as a visitor first and then get the letter of admission I need to apply for a student visa.
If I go to south africa first as a visitor, I need proof of departure (ie: Flight ticket leaving country). Could I just book a flight to a neighbouring country and then cancel it if necessary? This could get expensive!!! I don't want to break the law in any way either! If i did get the admission letter and student visa while visiting South Africa, could I just drive across the border into Lesotho or Zimbabwe and come back under the student visa?? Are they equiped to deal with those visa entries?

I'd like to visit the college before I decide to attend there. Also, if anyone can recommend a reputible college offering a one year web design program near Jo'burg, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!