ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

If you were in my shoes~

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

munisa

If you were in my shoes~

Post by munisa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:32 pm

I have always been commenting and advising on people's posts here but never knew I would get into this frightening situation. I badly need your advise you good people.

I am on a 5 year WP expriring in June and my line manager knows that. I entered UK on 24/06/04 . The relationship between my boss and I has deteriorated so much that today he told me that he wants to end my services at the end of May. In my company, the line manager has the final say on whether he will need you or not for WP to be renewed. In his own words, he will not recommend that the co renews my work permit. I am due for ILR on 27th May at PEO. All I need now is an employer letter to go with to Croydon on 27th May. If the co refuses to give me the letter as it will be 3 days before my job ends what do I do?
Last edited by munisa on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:46 pm

Sorry to read this

but relax , if possible try to amend ways byshowing him he is boss or

clearly expain to CW this

or u dont need letter of employer , u need salary slips bank stats, p60 thats all

oHTER PUT light on this

Regards

munisa

Post by munisa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:35 pm

Sushil-ACCA wrote:Sorry to read this

but relax , if possible try to amend ways byshowing him he is boss or

clearly expain to CW this

or u dont need letter of employer , u need salary slips bank stats, p60 thats all

oHTER PUT light on this

Regards
I have really tried to do anything to this man to please him. The only thing I will never accept is to bend over.

FKarim

Post by FKarim » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Sushil-ACCA unfortunately this is not the case (unless my knowledge of the rules has become outdated). Employer's letter is an important requirement for WP->ILR. It was not for HSMP->ILR where bank statements/payslips/P60 were enough as all you needed to show was that you were somehow "economically active". Even though when I applied for ILR (HSMP) in 2007 the caseworker asked me for an employer letter - any letter - dated within the last 3 months. I even explained to her it was the last week of my notice period at that company and I was starting a new job straight after that, of which I showed her the offer letter and contract. But she insisted on a letter from current employer. Luckily because I applied in person at a PEO I had a bag full of docs and was able to dig out a 2 month old employee share options letter. Completely irrelevant but satisfied her. Not all caseworkers know all the rules.

But AFAIK WP holders need to show a letter where their employer specifically confirms the applicant is still needed for the job.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Munisa, if there is no way to get that letter from your company, can you apply for Tier 1?

Titanic999

Post by Titanic999 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:14 pm

munisa,

I'm sure that as per law, your employer must issue the letter though your contract is closing end of May 09.There should not be any base for your employer for not doing so.
Try to ask letter few weeks before, like last week of April 09. I guess any letter within a month's time before the date of your application for ILR should be valid.

The employer letter will not include your contract end-date anyway. It just tells that you are the employee with them in XXX designation since XX date.Of course it may state your residential address aswell.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:52 pm

The employer letter will not include your contract end-date anyway. It just tells that you are the employee with them in XXX designation since XX date.Of course it may state your residential address aswell.
As mentioned by FKarim, under the existing ILR rules the applicant would need a letter from his employer confirming that he/she is still needed for the job. Hence, only a reference letter from the employer as you have suggested unfortunately will not be enough for OP.

But, I guess as paulp has suggested switching to Tier 1 definitely could be an alternative provided OP satisfies Tier 1 criteria.

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Yeh Tier 1 is the best but if not and u can not find a way, get a letter from employer and use clever words and hope that CW will not borther about it!

munisa

Post by munisa » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:48 am

paulp wrote:Munisa, if there is no way to get that letter from your company, can you apply for Tier 1?
I am keeping that option open as plan B. Just lucky that i have a masters else I would be a cooked geese by end May.

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:53 pm

Why don't book an Tier 1 General permium service appointment for Late April just in case as part of your plan B ? I think you will be in better postion to secure visa ron the same day rather applying by postal route.

munisa

Post by munisa » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:09 pm

tech wrote:Why don't book an Tier 1 General permium service appointment for Late April just in case as part of your plan B ? I think you will be in better postion to secure visa ron the same day rather applying by postal route.
Tech,
If I apply for TIER 1 and get it, do you have an idea of how long I can stay before applying for ILR as I will have already qualified for it via 5 years of WP + a few days in Tier1? These two routes may cost me over £2000 in just two months.

anjali_devi

Post by anjali_devi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Until your renewed tier 1 visa expires.

garichd

Post by garichd » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:42 pm

dnicky wrote:
As mentioned by FKarim, under the existing ILR rules the applicant would need a letter from his employer confirming that he/she is still needed for the job. Hence, only a reference letter from the employer as you have suggested unfortunately will not be enough for OP.

But, I guess as paulp has suggested switching to Tier 1 definitely could be an alternative provided OP satisfies Tier 1 criteria.
I got the ILR Few months back and the letter I got from my emplyer was a standard letter format just stating My Designation and Joining date . no mention of still needed for job etc .

So I think if you get the standard letter from you employer you should be fine.

munisa

Post by munisa » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 pm

thanks garichdt. fingers crossed.

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Say to your employer that you need to apply for tourist visa for some country and ask them to issue standard letter...that might work as well.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:52 pm

While this doesn't constitute advice as such, I know of someone who simply got his company letter head, then typed out a 'To whom it may concern' letter that provided a general statement that he was working there, etc.
Combined with P60, payslips etc. this could work.

Mind you, not my advice, but this approach has been used before.
:)

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:49 pm

global gypsy

don't give such advice...HO does some verification and ILR can be revoked at any time... :!:

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:44 am

Of course, if you can get such a letter signed by someone from HR dept in the company, then it is kosher.
You can thus avoid going to your boss for a letter.

munisa

Post by munisa » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:08 am

global gypsy wrote:Of course, if you can get such a letter signed by someone from HR dept in the company, then it is kosher.
You can thus avoid going to your boss for a letter.
Thanks everyone. I will get a general letter early May from them just saying 'TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN and my names and current job and salary as is usually the case whenever I apply for visas.

If all fails, the letterhead and self typing will be my last resort!

Sten

Post by Sten » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Do HO rules state that it should be a letter from your line manager ? i guess no ! Try to find someone else who will sign such letter, as previously suggested HR or accountant ...
Good luck !

Sten

Post by Sten » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Just say something like you are a self-employed, just started new business and looking for clients, no need even to register a company ..
Good luck !

munisa

Post by munisa » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 am

If I book an appointment at the PEO but I am unable to attend (maybe I cannot get one or more documents)...

What are the consequences of cancelling the appointment?
What is the earliest time that I should call them to cancel?