ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

[Skilled Immigration - 175] Spouse IELTS/Fees Question

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

h2c357
Newly Registered

[Skilled Immigration - 175] Spouse IELTS/Fees Question

Post by h2c357 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi,
I am planning to apply for General Skilled Independant Migration - 175 to Australia. I meet the basic requirements for this category but have a few questions. I would be grateful if someone could answer them for me please.

First question is regarding my spouse's English language abilities. She holds an M.A. in English Literature degree from Pakistan. Does she still need to take the IELTS test?

Second question is about the application fees. If my wife's qualifications are accepted as a proof of vocational level English, do I have to pay AUD 2105 as fees for both of our application or do I still need to pay additional AUD 2925.

The last question is whether there is any spceific period that a couple must be married before they can lodge an application as a couple? We got married just about a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering that whether I'd have to wait for some time before we can lodge an application as a couple.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Aaron.

AdnanR
Newly Registered

Post by AdnanR » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:25 am

Hi Aaron,

Though surprising it may seem but i am in the same boat. My case is almost similar to yours. As far as I know,

1. Your wife needs IELTS or assessment from relevant institution (which i dont know for MA Eng). My recommendation is IELTS, as a very minimal band (4.5) is required and my guess is that IELTS is less expensive and it will take less time then assessment.

2. In case of IELTS you dont have to pay AUD 2925, I am not sure about the other case.

3. I have talked to a consultant about this and he says no specific time period is required.

Please keep in mind that these are my own thoughts and I would love hear an expert opinion on this; though, the replies on this forum (Australia & New Zealand) are very slow and sometime no body replies. :(

Do share If you find any thing on this.

Good Luck.
AdnanR.

fahad77

Post by fahad77 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:39 am

1) I believe IELTS is a must if your native language is other than english. There may be other ways to get away with this but why wasting time and risking your application. Please remember MA english pattern and all other english courses pattern is way different than IELTS as IELTS is more than checking efficiency in english which is your ability to quickly answers questions especially under restricted time and pressure.

2) No need to pay second installment of 2925 after she passes an IELTS exam.

3) Doesnt matter when you got married, as far as you're married even if it happened few days ago, you're find but make sure you have an english translated and certified marriage certificate if its in a language other than english.

h2c357
Newly Registered

Post by h2c357 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks for the response guys. We are going with the IELTS path. Wish us luck.

Regards,
Aaron

Denise Casey
BANNED

Post by Denise Casey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 am

Hi Aaron,

First question – If your wife is a Pakistanian passport holder she needs to do IELTS no matter she holds M.A. in English Literature. Her overall band score should be 4.5

Second Question - only one set of DIAC fees needs to be paid when you lodge an application. There are no additional DIAC fees for your wife (or children).

Third question – In order to include your wife as a secondary applicant to your visa application you need to prove that you have lived together for 12months prior to applying. The main type of evidence that you should provide is

rental or lease agreement in joint names
joint bank account statements,
bank statements for each of you going to the same address,
utility bills (Electricity / Gas / Water) in joint names or some bills in your name and some bills in your partner's name - all going to the same address
other bills in joint names - car insurance, TV license
Government letters for each of you going to the same address
You should have some of these to cover the previous 12 months. Note that if you moved address within the past 12 months, you should be able to show evidence at each address.

Regards,
Denise