ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FG calling for stricter green card requirements

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

esharknz

FG calling for stricter green card requirements

Post by esharknz » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:55 pm

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 06624.html

Hmmmm.......how dare some people come to Ireland and take up unfilled highly skilled jobs.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:48 pm

While there was concern negative attitudes towards immigrants would be more prevalent with high unemployment, he added, it was vital that immigrants be portrayed as critical to the recovery rather than part of the problem.

Some comments are to the point... Of course if u ask me... i was not an economic migrant... It was Irish government(not recruitment agency) who came to me home town...in NON-EEA country to advertise about high skilled people they need. Same gap is still here.. Health sector hasnt moved anywhere...

Yes we need proper immigration system...transparent one...INIS was a right move in right direction and it succumbed to red tape also(either it was pushed or it picked up red tape typical of any public office)

Tiggs

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Its happening other places as well... expected in an economic downturn:

The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship Chris Evans announced a 14 per cent cutback to the Australian skilled migration quota, so that the Australian economy could cope better under the current financial conditions.
http://www.spammer.com/australia/new ... ogram.aspx

Meanwhile...

Last year, the US agreed that 20,000 Irish citizens could apply for year-long working visits. In return, 5,000 US citizens were allowed to come to Ireland.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 74054.html

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:03 pm

The primary concern is not so much 'means testing' new applications for green cards & work permits, but whether the Irish Gov't will follow FAS's report recommendations to refuse renewals of certain existing work permit holders.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 61644.html

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=961347

''HOMEWARD BOUND: The Lubuschagne family — Daniel, Ashleigh , Liza and Amelia — have been deported from New Zealand after Daniel’s application to renew his work permit was refused after two years of living and working in the country''

In the UK from 31 March, to apply for Highly-Skilled Visa( HSMP Tier 1 Visa ) ,the qualification and minimum salary levels for non-EU professionals will be raised to a masters degree and you must previously be earning the equivalent of 20,000 pounds in your native country!! Incredible considering the exchange rate of the pound to many non-EU countries!

So to end on a somewhat positive note, things aren't all that bad here in the Emerald Isle. And the jury is currently out debating whether this whole global recession is beginning to bottom out.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:04 am

They've removed occupations from the shortage list for green cards (€30K-€60K) before, so they've this is a mechanism to force some to apply for work permits instead and hence requiring a labour market test.

From the experience of others I know, they do look closely at the skills/qualifications that a green card applicant has and can decline on the basis of the officer thinking that an EEA national could fill the position in question.

I'm sorry that some Irish are unable to secure employment at present, but I'm a bit sick of hearing that we are all here to access social welfare and take their jobs etc.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:31 am

well said esharknz,
its not that we just grabbed someone opportunity.these were and are out there still.. But massive skills/knowledge gap exist here.
And its not that we just earning truck loads and paying no taxes. any euro we earn specially being skilled immigrants within higher tax bands. majority of it goes into prsi and tax coffer which we aren't allowed to touch(ah affects naturalisation application n what not).
So in a way we are helping to move or pay for things at bad times. but still getting crucified in long waits and long queues.
Its not that we/am damning this place and people.love it to bits.spent half of me life here now. But few things like these put u back. Am up for strict immigration controls as long as they are fair and transparent.

Regards
Tiggs