ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Job Seeker's Benefit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

citi
Newly Registered

Claiming Job Seeker's Benefit

Post by citi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Can I claim Job seekers benefit after I've received my citizenship approval letter? I am being made redundant soon. I am yet to take my Oath. Would it still affect obtaining my Certificate of Naturalisation. Can someone advise please?

victor8600

Re: Claiming Job Seeker's Benefit

Post by victor8600 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:31 pm

citi wrote:Can I claim Job seekers benefit after I've received my citizenship approval letter?
Well, the Minister has already reached his/her decision to grant you a citizenship, so INIS will not ask Social Welfare about your status after you got your citizenship approval letter.

--------------

Once the appropriate procedures have been finalised, a certificate of naturalisation will normally issue within 30 days. You are an Irish citizen from the date of issue of the certificate...

So any restriction that may apply (after certificate of naturalisation was issued) are same as for other Irish citizens (i.e. you have to have paid taxes for some time, etc.).
All your base are belong to us

realgunner

need information about irish citzenship

Post by realgunner » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:42 am

Hi guys,

When i applied for my citzenship in nov 2007 i was employed but since last year july 08 im still umepmloyed.

I know it does affect my application.

But this mean they will not give me citzenship until i get a job because im claiming jobseeker allowance.

PLease help urgent.

sideshowsue

Re: need information about irish citzenship

Post by sideshowsue » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:05 am

realgunner wrote:Hi guys,

When i applied for my citzenship in nov 2007 i was employed but since last year july 08 im still umepmloyed.

But this mean they will not give me citzenship until i get a job because im claiming jobseeker allowance.

PLease help urgent.
One of the conditions to be granted naturalisation is 'not to be a burden on the State.' Unfortunately, if you've been unemployed and claiming SW, I would be concerned that this will adversely affect your application. If you check the naturalisation timeline spreadsheet, there is someone who was refused after having drawn SW for a year.

That said, I have read of one or two cases where naturalisation was granted to those who had drawn SW, but they only drew SW for a few months until they had found alternative employment.

The fact of the matter is that there is no way to be certain whether being unemployed and on SW necessarily results in a rejection of your application. All that can be said is that it provides a substantial reason for your application to be refused.

Now I'm not too sure where your confusion arises. Are you asking whether a decision on your application will be adjourned until such time as you find employment and off SW? I don't really think so. The decisions from INIS seem to be pretty cut and dried, either 'yes' or 'no', not 'we'll wait and see once you're re-employed and off the dole.'

Heinrich

Re: need information about irish citzenship

Post by Heinrich » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:34 pm

sideshowsue wrote:
realgunner wrote:Hi guys,

PLease help urgent.
One of the conditions to be granted naturalisation is 'not to be a burden on the State.' Unfortunately, if you've been unemployed and claiming SW, I would be concerned that this will adversely affect your application. If you check the naturalisation timeline spreadsheet, there is someone who was refused after having drawn SW for a year.

That said, I have read of one or two cases where naturalisation was granted to those who had drawn SW, but they only drew SW for a few months until they had found alternative employment.

The fact of the matter is that there is no way to be certain whether being unemployed and on SW necessarily results in a rejection of your application. All that can be said is that it provides a substantial reason for your application to be refused.

Now I'm not too sure where your confusion arises. Are you asking whether a decision on your application will be adjourned until such time as you find employment and off SW? I don't really think so. The decisions from INIS seem to be pretty cut and dried, either 'yes' or 'no', not 'we'll wait and see once you're re-employed and off the dole.'
#

Guys,
if you go to previous messages, u will see that another person who lost their job while waiting for their application to be prosessed, received a letter from INIS, saying that her/his application will be reviewed in a years time to see if there is a changes in this persons circumstances..getting a job/or living from dole...before making a final decision.

realgunner

Post by realgunner » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:54 pm

thanks for reply guys.

so this mean i could get my application granted and maybe not.

When they take their final decision, Do they ask you about your empolyment or they just find out by ringing the welfare office?

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:03 pm

realgunner wrote:thanks for reply guys.

so this mean i could get my application granted and maybe not.

When they take their final decision, Do they ask you about your empolyment or they just find out by ringing the welfare office?

Before they send your file for a decision, youre apllication is prepared and all checks with outside agencies are made beforehand.

realgunner

Post by realgunner » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:44 pm

okay :)