ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP/Visa Holder Re-entry after 4 months outside UK?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anyu
Newly Registered

WP/Visa Holder Re-entry after 4 months outside UK?

Post by anyu » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a work permit/visa valid until June 2012. I was sent to Singapore for a 6-month secondment from Oct-08 to Apr-09 with the same global company and now I am due return to the UK. However, my UK HR told me that I need to apply for a new tier-2 visa for re-entry, can you advise whether this is the case?

A number of relevant points:
1. My employment has always been with the UK firm during the secondment, and my salaries have always been paid in the UK (paying UK taxes, national insurances, pensions and all that....)
2. I returned to the UK during the secondment period from 17th Dec-08 to 4th Jan-09 for a combination of holiday and work.

Really appreciate if you can advise what I should do - would be great if you could point a link to an official site to confimr this so that I can cite back to my HR. Currently my company is pushing me to get a new visa because they don't want to take any risk. But getting a new visa outside UK is so troublesome and the lead time of the whole thing may take forever. Thanks for your attention.

Regards,
Anyu

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:36 pm

Get your HR to check with the UK Border Agency before they make you go to Tier 2. I think you should be fine on the work permit you have.

The best number is probably 0300 123 4699

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... onsorship/

anyu
Newly Registered

Post by anyu » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks PaperPusher for your reply :) . It seems that the line is having technical issues, but I will try more times.

Any comments and views from others please?

calawang
Newly Registered

Post by calawang » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm

anyu wrote:Thanks PaperPusher for your reply :) . It seems that the line is having technical issues, but I will try more times.

Any comments and views from others please?
no you do not need to reapply under T2 because your visa is more than 6 months left. Your HR got confused. Go to UKBA website and look at transitionalarrangements under 'working in the UK', it is clearly said that you only need to reapply under T2 when your visa is less than 6 months old while you are outside UK. Hope this helps.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Your work permit is still valid for its full duration and is fine for your re-entry. You would only need tier 2 if your work permit had expired. If you want to extend beyond the end of your current work permit you would need a tier 2 certificate of sponsorship but not before then.

anyu
Newly Registered

Post by anyu » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks all, really appreciate your responses. Seems all points to that I should be ok to re-enter. :D

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:06 pm

anyu wrote:Thanks all, really appreciate your responses. Seems all points to that I should be ok to re-enter. :D
no one can stop u in this situation as u r still working for the same company.

radar79
Newly Registered

Post by radar79 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:56 pm

I agree with the others. I can't see why you would be refused entry to the UK as your work permit is still valid.

I'm aware of many in your position (on international assignments) who have continued travelling in and out of the country on their existing work permits, valid till 2012. Those expiring before then tend to apply for Tier 2 under the transitional arrangements, a couple of months before their visa expires.

If the sponsorship helpline doesn't work, your HR contact could try the work permits customer contact centre (0114 207 4074), for their peace of mind.