ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time frame for non-EU family residence/work permit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cantaro

Time frame for non-EU family residence/work permit

Post by cantaro » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:33 am

Hello,

my wife (Argentinian citizen) and I (German citizen) are currently living and working in Ireland. We were thinking about relocating to the UK but are being held back by fears that it might take months for my wife to be able to get a residence and work permit. Here in Ireland, the application for residency as the non-EU family member of an EU citizen took 5 months to complete, during which she was unable to work. I understand that, while processing times are still quite long, GNIB have now started to issue temporary work permits (Stamp 4 valid for 6 months) for EU1 applicants in order to comply with the spirit of Directive 2004/38/EC, stating that the non-EU spouse has the same rights as the EU spouse, and that this is not dependent on possessing an immigration card.

What is the situation like in the UK? In particular, how long does an application for residency as the non-EU family member of an EU citizen take to be completed, and do the authorities provide a temporary work permit while the application is being processed? I apologize if these questions have been answered before, but my searches did not turn up the information I was looking for.

thsths
United Kingdom

Re: Time frame for non-EU family residence/work permit

Post by thsths » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:43 am

cantaro wrote:What is the situation like in the UK?
Pretty desolate, I would say :-(. The applications (called EEA2, which should give you lots of hits) seem to be processed in no particular order, some get it after 3 months, others wait a year (!). You do get a Certificate of Application about 1-3 months after applying, which should in theory allow you to work, but many employers are not happy with it.

You can solve most of these problems by applying for an EEA Family Permit before coming to the UK. It is valid for 6 months and grants the right to work. If you get a job within these 6 months, you can keep it even after it expires (or at least that is my interpretation).

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:33 am

thsths wrote: You can solve most of these problems by applying for an EEA Family Permit before coming to the UK. It is valid for 6 months and grants the right to work. If you get a job within these 6 months, you can keep it even after it expires (or at least that is my interpretation).
Only likely problem here is, when the EEA Family permit expires an employer may assume that one's right to work also ceases and may ask for fresh proof of the contrary.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:46 pm

Plum70 wrote:..and may ask for fresh proof of the contrary.
..which would be the certificate of application of a residence card of a family member of a Union citizen.