ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Romanian spouse

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pomodorone
Newly Registered

Romanian spouse

Post by Pomodorone » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm

First of all I am sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I hope you will forgive a newbie!
Anyway, I have one question for you: recently me (Italian) and my girlfriend (Romanian) got married in London; I am living here for almost 3 years now and I have a permanent job. She is actually working here as self-employed but she is thinking of cancel this status as it'e pretty hard to find a good job with it. As I read in the Border Control/ Immigration website, Romanian spouse of an UK citizen or EEA citizen settle in the UK are extempt from the Work Permit request (Yellow/Blue card, self-employ and so on). However after a short call with a not very polite operator of the customer service of the Border Control, they told me that nothing is changed for her, she still has no rights here and still have to apply to get permit etc etc.

Now my question is: where is the truth? Is the "applying for a permit" a formality in case of a wedding? Is she automatically "gain" the right to work or we still have to go trough the BR1 (if I am correct)?

I have another little question that is a bit OT but I hope some of you guys can help me on this as well: we were planning to have a trip in the US but according to their website, the Romanian citizen are still required to get a VISA even for tourism. Does anything change from the moment she became my wife?

Thanks for your time and sorry again if I choose the wrong section!

Jersey

Re: Romanian spouse

Post by Jersey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Pomodorone wrote:First of all I am sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I hope you will forgive a newbie!
Anyway, I have one question for you: recently me (Italian) and my girlfriend (Romanian) got married in London; I am living here for almost 3 years now and I have a permanent job. She is actually working here as self-employed but she is thinking of cancel this status as it'e pretty hard to find a good job with it. As I read in the Border Control/ Immigration website, Romanian spouse of an UK citizen or EEA citizen settle in the UK are extempt from the Work Permit request (Yellow/Blue card, self-employ and so on). However after a short call with a not very polite operator of the customer service of the Border Control, they told me that nothing is changed for her, she still has no rights here and still have to apply to get permit etc etc.

Now my question is: where is the truth? Is the "applying for a permit" a formality in case of a wedding? Is she automatically "gain" the right to work or we still have to go trough the BR1 (if I am correct)?

I
I think she has to apply on a BR1 form, they can't refuse it, since she's your wife (you will need of course to attach to the application your marriage certificate). Once she got the registration certificate, she has no restrictions on work in the UK. Good Luck!

UK_BR5

Re: Romanian spouse

Post by UK_BR5 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Pomodorone wrote:First of all I am sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I hope you will forgive a newbie!

I have another little question that is a bit OT but I hope some of you guys can help me on this as well: we were planning to have a trip in the US but according to their website, the Romanian citizen are still required to get a VISA even for tourism. Does anything change from the moment she became my wife?

Thanks for your time and sorry again if I choose the wrong section!
this is not true , please read chapter 7 concerning family members of a2 nations in the guidance and law section, it states that as your spouse, she will be able to have a blue card which entitles her to work with no limitations.

i one time asked the advise bureau and they gave me absolutely wrong information, so don't count on them.

personita
Newly Registered

Work permit for Romanian spouse of a EEA national

Post by personita » Sun May 24, 2009 5:33 pm

I am Spanish, my boyfriend is Romanian and we both live in Spain and want to live and work in the United Kingdom.

We want to get married in the UK, but as he does not have a work permit, will our wedding be subject to immigration control?

I have some doubts concerning the BR1 form http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... r10408.doc, it says that if he is a spouse of a British citizen or person settled in the UK, he is exempt from Accession State worker autorization.

Would I qualify as a person settled in the UK after 1 month living there approximately?

Would he qualify to be my spouse if we got married in the UK, and so recently (we would apply for the BR1 immediately after the wedding)?

How long does it take to have an answer to the BR1 application?
Pomodorone wrote:Now my question is: where is the truth? Is the "applying for a permit" a formality in case of a wedding? Is she automatically "gain" the right to work or we still have to go trough the BR1 (if I am correct)?
Will he need the BR1 form or not? Once we got married in the UK, will he automatically and immediately be exent of the work permit without the BR1?