ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from WP to tier1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mrnaidu

Switching from WP to tier1

Post by mrnaidu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi,
I am currnetly on worpemit, i have been here from past 9 months, and my workpermit is valid for 5 years.
Now i am in doubt of redundancy so i want to switch to tier 1 for safe side,Am i eligile to apply as per the new rules have come on april 1 ,2009?
I have done Bachelors in my home country(india) wether i can get points for my degree or not?
I am 28 years old, and £33K is my gross pay, can some suggest me please...How many point i would get?
which is best to apply before 12 months of my stay in uk or after 12 months

hsmp12345

Re: Switching from WP to tier1

Post by hsmp12345 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:58 pm

mrnaidu wrote: I have done Bachelors in my home country(india) wether i can get points for my degree or not?
Unfortunately, under new rules you would not be able to claim any points for your bachelors degree. Without that you will not be able to reach 75 points threshhold req'd for Tier1 visa.

Hence you will be unable to get Tier1 visa. Better try to stick to same Work Permit or look for any other sponsors for Work permit transfer in case you fear redundancy.

Hope this helps.

Thank You,
hsmp12345

lionfly

Post by lionfly » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:25 pm

I admire you. I think 33k on your age and Bachelor is very high?

much above usual salary levels.

mrnaidu

Post by mrnaidu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:41 pm

lionfly wrote:I admire you. I think 33k on your age and Bachelor is very high?

much above usual salary levels.
Thanks, But i am not eligible for tier 1 :(

mrnaidu

Post by mrnaidu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:43 pm

hsmp12345 wrote:
mrnaidu wrote: I have done Bachelors in my home country(india) wether i can get points for my degree or not?
Unfortunately, under new rules you would not be able to claim any points for your bachelors degree. Without that you will not be able to reach 75 points threshhold req'd for Tier1 visa.

Hence you will be unable to get Tier1 visa. Better try to stick to same Work Permit or look for any other sponsors for Work permit transfer in case you fear redundancy.

Hope this helps.

Thank You,
hsmp12345
But i read somewhere that in country fellows can apply with bachelors...is that wrong

bennyhand
Newly Registered

Post by bennyhand » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm

mrnaidu wrote: But i read somewhere that in country fellows can apply with bachelors...is that wrong
No. I was in the same position as you (Bachelors degree and on a Work Permit, and here in UK for 9 months). I applied for my Tier1 just 2 weeks ago before the new rules kicked in on 1st April. They won't consider your Tier 1 application unless you have a minimum of a Masters degree now - I discussed this with an immigration consultant/lawyer.

I think your best bet is to perform well and stay with your current employer, or as previously suggested, hope to have your work permit transferred to new employer. If you are made redundant you have 28 days to find a new work permit sponsor. But in the meantime, maybe consider studying for a Masters degree part time (if you can afford it).

Good luck