ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

info on Travel doc

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rebbykah
Newly Registered

info on Travel doc

Post by rebbykah » Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:05 am

Was wondering if anybody can help me on getting a Travel document. I have allready gotten the forms and all. I have read through the form and well......I feel....stupid? LOL I dont understand the thing at all. I mean in oine section it says I do not need to obtain one. And then the other section says I do. Now I did the the 800 number....and if I may so so.....they have to be the rudest people. After 5 mins of lisening to a girl making me feel like I was Alien...I hung up the phone getting NO where. Here is what I need to know. I have a pending case for adjustment of status. What dop I need to file with it? Said something bout pictures.....what else? I know the fee is $110.00 and after Sep 29 it will be $165.00. What else do I need to send with it? My other question is where do I send it? The girl on the phone said to my local office. On the forms it says to the office that is on your forms? Every time you call these people you ALWAYS get a different answer. My other question is....how long does it take to get a reply? It says on there emergency.....what do they classify as an emergency? My reason of wanting to go home is. My Travel Insurence runs out as of July 20. I need to get home before this...so I can renew it....or I will be here in the US without and Insurence....not a good thing. And because my dad is stricken with a rare blood disease...and well.....will be in a wheel chair sooner then we thought he would be...and I want to see him when he is walking again and not going there to see him in a chair. Do you think this is an Emergency? Thank you for your help. Ohh and one last question....what are 3-10 year bars? What does that mean?

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:01 pm

First of all, don't feel too bad - you are not alone in being frustrated with the complexity of a governmental bureaucracy.

You would make it easier to answer some of your questions if you indicated your present status in the U.S. (or the one before you applied for AOS), what State are you in. It may also be helpful to know the basis for AOS, but probably not necessary.

We could take it from there. ;)

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Re: info on Travel doc

Post by Cosmopol » Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:42 pm

Got the details of your situation; below are some answers.
rebbykah wrote:one section it says I do not need to obtain one. And then the other section says I do.
You certainly need to receive an Advanced Parole in order to leave the U.S. and come back without "abandoning" your AOS application in the view of the government.
I have a pending case for adjustment of status. What dop I need to file with it? Said something bout pictures.....what else? I know the fee is $110.00 and after Sep 29 it will be $165.00. What else do I need to send with it?
File Form I-131, plus:
1) a good copy of any photo identification document, such as a U.S. or foreign driver license, passport or the like, clearly showing your picture, name DOB and address;
2) copies of any documents showing your present legal status in the U.S., e.g. form I-94 (arrival/departure record), Notice of Action or any other letters you received in response to your AOS application that shows it's being processed;
3) a letter explaining the bona fide need for the trip, including any evidence as necessary (e.g., a letter from the doctor);
4) 2 identical color photos, as described in detail in section II (Photographs) of the form;
5) A fee of US$110.
My other question is where do I send it?
Normally, you send it to the office where your AOS application is pending. If you are uncertain of the address and such, let me know what city you sent your app to; I'll provide further details.
how long does it take to get a reply?
This depends on the office and their workload. The Atlanta district office asks to submit the request at least 45 days before your intended travel, while the office in Charleston asks for only 4 weeks, and so on.
It says on there emergency.....what do they classify as an emergency? My reason of wanting to go home is. My Travel Insurence runs out as of July 20. I need to get home before this...so I can renew it....or I will be here in the US without and Insurence....not a good thing. And because my dad is stricken with a rare blood disease...and well.....will be in a wheel chair sooner then we thought he would be...and I want to see him when he is walking again and not going there to see him in a chair. Do you think this is an Emergency?
I don't think expiration of your insurance would qualify as an emergency, but you can always check that hotline again (just be prepared not to take the experience personally). Your father's condition may be quite compelling, but you might need to explain why do you need to travel now, i.e. what's the specific reason. Any hard copy evidence from doctors or any other relevant party would help your case.
Ohh and one last question....what are 3-10 year bars? What does that mean?
That means one may be barred from entering the States for 3 or 10 years for violations of the terms of their stay. For example, if you filed your application way after your visa expired, your departure may trigger one of those bars, and then even having the travel document may not facilitate your entry into the States.

Hope this helps. Good luck!