ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

[size=18]Help! Uk guy looking to live and work in USA for 1

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cop82
Newly Registered

[size=18]Help! Uk guy looking to live and work in USA for 1

Post by cop82 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi,
I’m hoping someone will be able to answer some of the questions I have.

Basically I’m a 26 year old UK citizen and I wish to move out to the USA to be with my US girlfriend. I’ve travelled to the USA using the VWP twice between 2008 and 2009 and have returned well within the given time limits.
The problem I am having is I wish to travel across to the USA for a period of at least a year and be able to live and work over there so that we can give the relationship a real chance.

I’ve been a police officer in the UK for about 6 years and I have some savings put away. I am looking to travel across to the USA in the early part of 2010 and I will be able to take a year’s career break from the job with the intention of returning. I have a number of qualifications but I do not have that all important degree.

I was looking into applying for a work visa but I do not know how successful I will be as I am a police officer by trade and I will not be able to transfer this across to the USA.

We have spoken about a fiancé visa etc but we have both agreed that we want to wait and try and do things properly before making such a big commitment.

I’ve been reading up on applying for Visa’s etc but it seems very complicated and I am not sure how successful I will be.

By 2010 I will be able to prove that I have enough funds put aside to support myself for more than a year but I wish to work over there to experience the different culture and meet people. At the moment I intend on returning to the UK after the year is up but if the relationship develops then we will see what happens.

I’m guessing all applications are judged on an individual basis but we are just two descent hard working people who aren’t looking to cause any trouble and just want to be together.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer these questions and point me in the right directions or if they have any other ideas that would be great.

Thanks for your help

Cop82

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:55 pm

About your only chance is to get a marriage or fiance visa. Have a look here or here.

Naresh Gehi
BANNED

Post by Naresh Gehi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:04 am

As you don't have a degree. Your best option is K-fiance visa.

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Post by pauliesgirl » Thu May 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Only option is a fiance visa. However no offense, but you're not going to like to hear this. I am American and my husband is Irish. We are truly in love and are 100% committed to each other, forever. We went about getting married the right and legal way and will most definitely go about gaining his residency in America the right and legal way. It really upsets me to hear that you would want to come to America to test the waters with your girlfriend. To see if it works out or not...On a fiance visa! I beg you not to apply and waste this country's precious time and resources (kudos to you for having enough funds to support yourself) but you are coming for the wrong reasons and its not fair for all the honest people who really want to get married for the right reasons and be with their other half. It really makes the line a lot longer for us and really annoys us with all the invasive judgmental questions when getting interviewed to test to see if we're truly in love because of flip floppers and potential fakes!

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Post by pauliesgirl » Thu May 28, 2009 12:53 pm

And one more thing, you will not be able to legally work on a fiance visa. It is designed to give you 90 days in the country to marry legally. Then you must apply for work permits and residency. Big hassle and not something I would recommend if your heart is not truly in it for the right reasons. Completely immoral in my opinion.