ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

overstay civil marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ryan007
Newly Registered

overstay civil marriage

Post by ryan007 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:51 pm

i overstayed my visa by three years. i want to get married to my girlfriend who is a british citizen. is there a way out to get married here or do i have to go back to do that.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: overstay civil marriage

Post by Wanderer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:43 pm

ryan007 wrote:i overstayed my visa by three years. i want to get married to my girlfriend who is a british citizen. is there a way out to get married here or do i have to go back to do that.
Go back.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:31 pm

ryan007 wrote:i overstayed my visa by three years. i want to get married to my girlfriend who is a british citizen. is there a way out to get married here or do i have to go back to do that.
:idea: .....Or you take your chances, and apply for a COA to marry here in UK (it's free these days anyway! :wink: ), and risk alerting the Home Office to your overstay, thereby risking deportation, thereby risking a 10 year ban! Or take Wanderer's advice; go home, get married there, and apply for a spouse visa (or fiance visa, if you don't marry) from the British High Commission in your home country, in order to return to the UK. Good Luck! (You'll need it, if you go for the first option I've presented. :roll: )

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am

The 10 year ban doesn't apply for spouse or fiance visa applications..but nevertheless probably best to marry in your own country and then apply for a spouse visa to re-enter.

lidlekiwi
Newly Registered

Post by lidlekiwi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:17 pm

is it easy to over stay?
How did you manage it? Did they not come looking for you?

hamid84
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by hamid84 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:39 pm

UK is big enough to hide yourself :D
Arrived UK in Dec 2000, Received ILR Oct 2008, Citizenship Approved March 2016.