ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help needed

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MAKUSA
BANNED

Help needed

Post by MAKUSA » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:07 am

Can anyone tell me if working in another member state as a consultant but not physically present in that member can constitute or be termed as exercising one's treaty rights i.e a UK national works for a French company and is taxed in France but still resides in the UK.

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Help needed

Post by 86ti » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:27 am

I can't help you much but so-called 'cross-border services' may count. I once found the Carpenter case mentioned in this context.

MAKUSA
BANNED

Post by MAKUSA » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:09 pm

86ti wrote:I can't help you much but so-called 'cross-border services' may count. I once found the Carpenter case mentioned in this context.
Thanks mate, that info was more than enough

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:41 pm

First-Class Moron wrote:Can anyone tell me if working in another member state as a consultant but not physically present in that member can constitute or be termed as exercising one's treaty rights i.e a UK national works for a French company and is taxed in France but still resides in the UK.
Depends on what you mean by "working for" and what you want to achieve.

Are you working (physically) in France and commuting back and forth?

MAKUSA
BANNED

Post by MAKUSA » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
First-Class Moron wrote:Can anyone tell me if working in another member state as a consultant but not physically present in that member can constitute or be termed as exercising one's treaty rights i.e a UK national works for a French company and is taxed in France but still resides in the UK.
Depends on what you mean by "working for" and what you want to achieve.

Are you working (physically) in France and commuting back and forth?
Working from one's home in the UK but for a company in france and paying taxes in france, would that indidvidual be covered under the Directive 2004/38/EC if one decides to go down the EU route in the future. Ta

alooma

Post by alooma » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:41 pm

yes u are exercising treaty right according to the E.C.J judgement in Carpenter case.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:22 pm

First-Class Moron wrote:Working from one's home in the UK but for a company in france and paying taxes in france, would that indidvidual be covered under the Directive 2004/38/EC if one decides to go down the EU route in the future. Ta
It is a good question how this fits into European free movement law. You may be exercising your treaty rights, but I doubt you would be able to take advantage of the Singh ruling to bring a non-EU citizen into the UK based on the European rules.

Can I ask: Is there a particular aspect of European rules that you want to be able to take advantage of?