ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naked truths about what comes after in the UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JhonnyECU

Naked truths about what comes after in the UK

Post by JhonnyECU » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:34 am

Dear all,

deeply diving in those antique, dense, ellaborated posts, I came across some VERY important information for all of us who wish to go to the UK.

this link is eight pages long, definitely worth reading carefully:

http://www.hsmp-services.co.uk/phpBB/vi ... sc&start=0

this one is shorter but interesting:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=2239

hope other members could share other suggestions, ideas, tips, feedback and links from other revealing historical posts.

best for all

jhonny
:)
Last edited by JhonnyECU on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talha

Post by Talha » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:12 pm

eye opener!..........couldnt stop myself from reading....

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:25 pm

Hi,
The post is a little old, I think we need more feedback from recent HSMP's with current problems and successes, the IT market is picking up, politics are hitting, the economy is signaling a slow down....so, the more we know the better.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

JhonnyECU

Post by JhonnyECU » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:50 pm

Hi friends,

you are right Try-one, recent feedback is MANDATORY for the progress and benefit of ALL! i encourage older members, especially the ones who are already in the UK, to share their experiences with us. all types of tips and info, are highly appreciated!!!

i would like you all to realize the potential of this forum...MANY people here are trying to make this forum a useful method by which creative brains could work togehter and find NOT just a proper way to present the hsmp application or to get accept BUT also to face the bigger challenge waiting for us two steps ahead which is make the UK our HOME!!

the first PM quoted above was started by Floyd (someone tried using his nickname to confuss the forum) in May 2004 to be precise. i dont think there has been SO much of a dramatic change in one year in this crazy planet we live in! especially, to those who are willing to migrate to another country and have to face multiple barriers JUST to fit in the new (economically stronger) culture and society.

please, read that PM mentioned above, from page 8 to 1. back then, the forum display of PMs worked differently!

all the best for you

jhonny

Mobig

Post by Mobig » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:23 am

I may be able to say something about the issue after a couple of days.............sorry

uGuest
Newly Registered

get together

Post by uGuest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi

please let me know any get to gether of HSMP holders searching for Jobs in London. i like to attend to share my experience.

durairajan
Newly Registered

Post by durairajan » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:48 am

Hi uGuest,

Would be helpful if you could share the information in this forum.

Kind Regards,
Durai

JhonnyECU

Post by JhonnyECU » Fri May 06, 2005 7:07 pm

hi Folks,

Mobig, uGuest and ALL members who are already in the UK (working or looking for a job), this whole forum might be delighted to learn from your experiences, could you please post them here?

much appreciated

jhonny

JhonnyECU

Post by JhonnyECU » Sat May 07, 2005 10:25 pm

just wondering if all those admirable people who are already working (or looking for work) in the UK would be so kind as to share their experiences with the other members who are trying to do the same

thanks

jhonny

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Sun May 08, 2005 11:58 am

Hi,
I recently changed jobs, it was all part of my plan since I heard about HSMP: I was under WP, earning X and now I have a better salary. WP tends to be less because you are tied and market rules don;t apply
My recommendations is to tell potential employers that you are authorized to work for any employer if they ask more details tell them you have the HSMP.....if you are in IT try to work as a contractor, contractors have no problem with 12 month visas.....
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

JhonnyECU

Post by JhonnyECU » Wed May 18, 2005 1:11 am

dear all,

when i first wrote this post, i expected to have a snow ball efect...to my disappointment there has not been enough help being given....

Thererofe, I would like to encourage AGAIN you all to think about the following:

many of you are already receiving guidance, support and great tips from this great forum. maybe you are using the incredible complete information about HOW to compile a great application OR maybe you belong to the group of people who already submitted and will get approvals in the next coming weeks, months...OR maybe you are ALREADY in the UK...

if you are in the THREE categories, this post is VERY important for you.
why? well, simply because even if you are preparing to submit, waiting for an answer OR already accepted and ready to go to the UK...

ALL of us will have to face the next step of this "moving to the UK" plan of ours and be SUCCESSFUL at doing so...

i would like to encourage members already who are already working and the ones who are looking for jobs to HELP other people here...

hope we can get ALL the feedback possible from members like the FEW who have replied...

please, think that this would be a nice and proper way to pay back to the forum...

hope this works this time

wish the best for all

jhonny

dokwal
BANNED

Post by dokwal » Wed May 18, 2005 9:13 am

I find present job mkt in finance is though for seniors

companies / agencies r not looking at all to seniors and hard to live

if you got small kid , think ten times to come uk , without parterns income support it is very though to survive

rgds

dhana
Newly Registered

@dokwal

Post by dhana » Wed May 18, 2005 10:56 am

I am from finance myself. Would appreciate if you clarify what qualifications are acceptable. I have done my ACCA but on the work from I dont have much audit experience. Please advice

dokwal
BANNED

Post by dokwal » Wed May 18, 2005 11:18 am

only acca will not help u have to struggle 1 year to get british exp.

i am also acca

rgds

dhana
Newly Registered

@dokwal

Post by dhana » Thu May 19, 2005 8:08 am

I manage to save about GBP 10000 working an a Chief Accountant....although I have applied I am now quite concerned if the move would be right.

Do you know any ACCA qualified internationally and made it successful in the UK ?

I have first time passes in all ACCA papers and finished the ACCA in just three sittings with only 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 excemption.

Inspite of not getting my HSMP I applied for about 500 jobs since I am quite good at linux too and am responsible for linux administration at my present company I made a script to reply to all jobs in the "email job advertisement" that I get every day.

While most of them sent regret letters I had about 4 agents call me and ask me about more details but that again is just 0.6 % reply rate....

I was thinking of first applying for jobs from here and give a UK contact number in my cv. Once I have sufficient enquires, I'd go for a month for initial interviews and see how it progresses. I am just too concerned to leave my present job...although to get another in the same country is not that difficult but I have heard too many sad stories on this forum...so don't want to bet a lot of money on the move.

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Thu May 19, 2005 12:07 pm

What you are thinking sounds like a very sensable plan. What I can suggest to you is to get a UK mobile phone and use it on roaming in your own country. If you have a UK number and working rights (HSMP), you are more likely to get calls from potential recruiters. Hopefully once you have a couple of interviews lined up, you can visit and attend all of them in one go. Once you have a solid job option or a contract, only then it makes sense to leave your present job and make your move. I find it quite diffiuclt if some one with an hsmp just burn his boats and gets the first flight to UK.

hsmphopeful

Post by hsmphopeful » Thu May 19, 2005 12:31 pm

Indeed. One does need *appropriate* experience and qualifications, not speaking about good English. In customer facing roles it is also necessary to understand what is OK and what is not OK here - which may well differ (and it does)... And of course don't burn the bridges. I have been here for more than a year now and got my renewal, and life is OK, but at times I did think about dumping it all and returning home - and that's despite having good job, good credit, good flat, friends and knowing more about this country than some locals. But then no immigrant has an easy life. From abroad it may look like UK is a paradise - it is not. Getting here is only the first and I'd say easiest part...

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Thu May 19, 2005 1:06 pm

While coming to UK with a secure job before hand is an ideal situation, but in reality unless one has physically moved to UK it is difficult to get an interview or job offer unless one is an in-demand IT professional. One has to come here with the understanding that the 1st year will be a struggle and one will have to work in a lower level while gaining the valuable "UK experience" which every UK recruiter insists on. We are moving to a new country obviously because we feel deep down that despite the struggles, the long term future will be brighter than our home country.

JhonnyECU

Post by JhonnyECU » Sat May 21, 2005 12:40 am

Hi Folks,

to the ones who have answered so far, thank you for sharing your ideas, experiences and question here.

i think rog is right...the further future will be brighter than in our developping countries. BUT until we reach that point lets focus on HOW to enter the UK job market...hopefully, we can all find similarities in the application process, regardless of the field, so we can all benefit from what is being posted here, ok?

some of my questions are:

what are the other requirements from recruiters int he UK, besides UK experience? does international experience count?

languages?

age?

how GOOD should a foreigner speak english?

does belonging to a minority group give you an advantage?

how do they expect you to have UK experience when you JUST move into this country? catch 22 type of situation huh?

hope some of you can answer some of these questions and make more, why not?

best

jhonny
ps. DHL tracking service confirmation...my application was received at doncaster THIS morning... :D very much thinking positively this time!!

dhana
Newly Registered

Post by dhana » Wed May 25, 2005 2:12 pm

I am negotiating with one company. What are the usualy "benefits" that are offered. Most salaries are quotes as "amount + benefits" OR "amount including benefits"
Any cues

VP

Life After HSMP

Post by VP » Wed May 25, 2005 5:06 pm

Hi All

I would like to share my experience.

We (me and my wife) landed UK before 3 months (in first week of february). We had a complete plan what to do after landing in UK, who is going to start temporary job and all that. In first week only my wife got a job in chain store as per our plan. So I have less stress to search job of my field. After passing 1 month and 10 days, I got a job of my field with a good salary to start. Then after my wife started looking for a permanent job and she got in 1 month. After she got the job, i started looking for another good job of my industry and eventually i got it before few days only

So my suggestion to all is that before landing UK, once should do a proper planning and research (which field you want to go and overall market for the same in UK). Also be prepare that you are not going to get a job atleast for 1-2 months after landing UK. So try to bring as much money, so you can survive atleast for first 2-3 months. (according to me its near to £1200-1400 for 1 person and £2000 for a couple)

Regarding Job application as per my experience, the best source is a different job sites (internet is free in all public library). No doubt News paper is a also good source, but my experience says that you will not get a single reply/interview from that ads which costs you atleast 30p per application. And ofcourse you will see so many recruitment agencies at all place, But it will not help you till you have experience in UK.

So this was my experience.

Viral
Last edited by VP on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mechanical-engineer

Post by Mechanical-engineer » Wed May 25, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi Vp,

Glad to hear that skilled people r getting jobs. Vp,could u clarify "the best source are different internet jobsites" because most of the job sites use by recruiters not by the companies.

cheers,
ME

VP

thats true

Post by VP » Thu May 26, 2005 10:59 am

Yes me

Most of website jobs were posted by recruitment agency only. but if you apply through the website, you might get a call from them for arranging an interview call. Still there are some sites in which employers directly post the job like jobsite.co.uk, gumtree.com etc

If you directly go to agency office they will not accept you cv, its better to apply from job site only. In last 3 months i got 7-8 interviews and 2 jobs. 5 inerviews arranged by agency and 3 companies directly approached me. My current job is through agency and last job is direct so thats why i told that if you have a experience agencies are good, but first job don't expect answers from them

Viral
ps funny thing is that i got a reply (interview call) from 2 different agencies for the same position in which i am working
Last edited by VP on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShoaibJaved

job,

Post by ShoaibJaved » Mon May 30, 2005 12:53 pm

Hi,
Landed at Heahtrow on 23rd may. Accomodation and money is not a problem for me. I have started applying for embedded systems job online and got few calls from recuiters asking further details from me (esp. workpermit situation, which I told them that I have the legal right to stay and work in UK and on further asking told them that I have HSMP visa which most of them knew about).
I believe, the next two weeks will probably tell me the exact situation of job market for me.
Where I live, I find people courteous and helpful. The only problem I have had is with the accent, it gets difficult to understand when the Brits start talking at full pace and more so if its a telephonic conversation.

thanks
ShoaibJaved

AlexStiva
Newly Registered

Re: Life After HSMP

Post by AlexStiva » Mon May 30, 2005 5:38 pm

VP wrote:Hi All

After passing 1 month and 10 days, I got a job of my field with a good salary to start. Then after my wife started looking for a field job and she got in 1 month. After she got the job, i started looking for another good job of my industry and eventually i got it before few days only
Hi VP, please share you thoughts - how the first employer treated your idea to leave the job after working there for a short term ? What reference did he write for you ?

I thought that to get a UK experience one needs to work at least half a year for the first employer, overwise he might get bad references and such a short term will also be reflected in CV, and that is not good for job seeking.

Just curious, I might face the same problem soon.

Thanks.