ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry to UK Before HSMP visa starts ticking

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Vayu

Entry to UK Before HSMP visa starts ticking

Post by Vayu » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:07 pm

Hi all,

I was going to delay the starting time of my HSMP EC for few of months, to allow me to finalise a few outstanding things here in Australia. At the moment, I have to apply for my EC before mid June, but am hoping to delay my entry to around late august (the UK HC in Canberra says this is possible).

I was however, plannning a trip to the UK in June for a week or so, to "check things out", do a bit of ground work, talking to potential employers and just surveying the job market in general. I have NO intention of working at that stage.

A few of my friends (with EU passports though) have done this and it paid off for them in the longer run as they were more or less able to "land on their feet" when they arrived in the UK as their targetted employers were familiar with them.

I was just wondering, if had an EC sticker in my PP to become active in late August and I entered the UK for a week or so during June with no intention to work, would they let me in? I have an Aussie PP.

Any advice would be welcome.

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: Entry to UK Before HSMP visa starts ticking

Post by Chess » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:38 pm

I was just wondering, if had an EC sticker in my PP to become active in late August and I entered the UK for a week or so during June with no intention to work, would they let me in? I have an Aussie PP.

Assuming you had two visa's in your passport, forexample HSMP and WHMV....on arrival at the PoE you would have to tell the IO which VISA to validate (the one that you require to 'commence'.)
Where there is a will there is a way.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:38 am

Hi

I called my local ritish High Commission and was told that they can postdate my EC for up to three months, however, I made a note on my application requesting this and I got back my passport with the EC effective on the same day. I hope to ask them to change it, but of course they may not. My problem is that because of some exams I have to do in the next few months I cannot relocate just yet, having my EC start so soon means my 1 yr clock has started ticking neary two months before I planned to be in the UK. I don't want to take the chance of entering so late in the 1 yr and not meeting the 4yr residency requirement before the HSMP's 4 yrs are up (I know it's a long way off but I like to be prepared).

I was wondering if I would have any problems at the immigration check point in the UK if I bought a one week return ticket, visit UK for a week lay some ground work etc. and then return in another 2 month's time.
'In everything give thanks'