ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Late serving of refusal notice - right of appeal?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

William Blake
Member of Standing

Late serving of refusal notice - right of appeal?

Post by William Blake » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi all,

If an applicant receives a refusal notice late as a result of an application for ILR I understand that the late serving of the notice means the applicant is entitled to an appeal. Is there anything you can point me to that specifically states this?

I mean for example, if the refusal notice pre-dates the expiration date of the applicant's visa but in fact the notice arrives after the visa has expired.
Every night and every morn
Some to misery are born.
Every morn and every night
Some are born to sweet delight.
Some are born to sweet delight,
Some are born to endless night

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Does the refusal notice say that you cannot appeal?

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Yes it does say I cannot appeal and this is because it is dated prior to the expiration of the then valid visa. ie. I had leave when the decision was made but leave had lapsed by the time I got the refusal notice.
Some to misery are born.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Sorry i keep asking one question at a time. Does it say why you cannot appeal. The way i understand it is that the most common reason for not getting a right of appeal is if you apply after your current leave has expired.
Also maybe you can give more information about your case e.g what category under are applying for and why they have refused your application. Its kinda strange that they have refused your application and also not granted you either an extension in your current status or granted discretionary leave

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:23 pm

The application was for ILR on ten yrs long residence.

No appeal was given as I had leave remaining at the time/date of the refusal/notice but the notice actually arrived after the leave expired.

I am clear as to how this came about but I want to know what says I can get an appeal because the refusal notice was served late.
Some to misery are born.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:38 pm

U are unfortunately not giving enough information which could be useful to point you in the right direction.

U c if the decision was made when you still had valid leave then they should not deny you leave to appeal based on this. Unless if they denied you leave to appeal for some other reason. Did they say why you are not allowed to appeal?

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:29 pm

I don't believe more detail is relevant in order to answer this question in particular but I will add that the application was refused because of disputed breaks in continuous residency throughout the ten years.

It is a fact that right to appeal can be denied simply because leave exists at the time of the decision. And this is the only grounds why appeal was denied.

I just want to know what I can point to, that allows me an appeal if I am served the notice late.
Some to misery are born.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:44 pm

Turns out maybe i was not too clear about what I was talking about. Might this be what you are looking for or maybe it is the opposite effect

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/appeals/

You will not have a right of appeal if:

you still have permission to stay in the United Kingdom despite our decision to refuse your application; or
you made an application to extend your stay or for permanent residence after your existing permission to stay in the United Kingdom had already expired

How late was the notice served to you

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Tue May 05, 2009 3:38 pm

It was a month late.

Can anyone please help on this. What if anything says I have a right to an appeal if the notice is late?
Some to misery are born.