ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of address after approval of citizenship application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Nehro
Ireland

Change of address after approval of citizenship application

Post by Nehro » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Dear members of this forum
I have an urgent question and I would very much appreciate your advice:
I recently got the approval letter for naturalisation, and due to have my oath of fidelity next week. I will be moving to a new address within one or two weeks (no choice!). Can I change my correspondence address with INIS at this stage. Although I am taking the oath in my own county, the new address is in Dublin, so I am planning to write the new address in Form 7 (the Form which need to be signed in court), and I will submit a cover letter to INIS informing them I am moving to the address in 1 to 2 weeks, so they can send me the naturalisation certificate to the new address. Is this OK? Has anybody had a similar experience with this before? I can not use my current address anymore as I know they send the Naturalisation Cert in registered post, so when they send it to me in about 4 weeks, if I still use my old address, it will be returned to them (no recepient). Any help please? and thank you in advance

dublin
Newly Registered

not recommended

Post by dublin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:57 am

I would highly recommend you not to change your address. Is it not possible for you to ask somebody living there to keep your letter and let you know when you your cert.

Another option would be to try anpost forwarding service for 3 months ( it normally takes 2 months to get your cert) .

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Thank you Dublin.
Unfortunately I own the house and I have to move out to a new address. I am trying to rent my house out but it is unlikely to get somebody in it within the next few weeks, so there will be no people in this address for a month or so. also I have already arranged with an post to forward my post to the new address but they do not forward any registered letter (it will be returned to the sender), so I think I have no choice but to take the risk and give INIS the new address details. Dublin; you adviced better not to change the address at this stage.. Did you hear of any bad experiences of people who did something like this before? Please let me know and thank you very much.

ashimashi

Post by ashimashi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Nehro wrote:Thank you Dublin.
also I have already arranged with an post to forward my post to the new address but they do not forward any registered letter (it will be returned to the sender)
They DO forward registered letters. The only thing they don't forward is PARCELS (registered or not).

dublin
Newly Registered

Post by dublin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:42 pm

The reason I recommend not changing your address is

My friend changed his address when his application was still in process but he got his approval letter at his old address.

otherwise I don't see any problem with it. You will always be worried till the time you don't get your naturalisation certificate and you will always be wondering if they have sent your cert to your old address.

Wish you very best of Luck. As I was not aware of the reason for change of address and after reading your post above I can see that you don't have any option so I would say go for it and may be in months time ring INIS and confirm your new address

regards

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:05 pm

ashimashi wrote:
Nehro wrote:Thank you Dublin.
also I have already arranged with an post to forward my post to the new address but they do not forward any registered letter (it will be returned to the sender)
They DO forward registered letters. The only thing they don't forward is PARCELS (registered or not).
Thank you Ashimashi.. I will ring an post tomorrow to enquire about this again (I was told before by the post office that they don't forward registered post). Thanks again

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:09 pm

dublin wrote:The reason I recommend not changing your address is

My friend changed his address when his application was still in process but he got his approval letter at his old address.

otherwise I don't see any problem with it. You will always be worried till the time you don't get your naturalisation certificate and you will always be wondering if they have sent your cert to your old address.

Wish you very best of Luck. As I was not aware of the reason for change of address and after reading your post above I can see that you don't have any option so I would say go for it and may be in months time ring INIS and confirm your new address

regards
Thanks Dublin. I will ring an post to enquire about this issue again but if they confirm that they don't forward registered letters, I will inform INIS and request them to send the naturalisation cert to the new address. Thank you for your advice and best of luck to you too.

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:56 am

Thank you Dublin and Ashimashi..got the confirmation from an post that they DO redirect registered post, so for future applicants: don't worry if you need to change your address for urgent matters between approval and oath. Just apply to an post for redirection services for any period you need (3 to 12 months) and do NOT change your address of corrspondence with INIS. This is what I have confidently done.
Thanks