ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Status of a Stamp 3 holder when the spouse is Naturalised ?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mr.Goodman
Newly Registered

Status of a Stamp 3 holder when the spouse is Naturalised ?

Post by Mr.Goodman » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:20 am

Hi.

My wife is staying with me in Ireland since 5 years on a dependant visa ( Stamp 3). I will be naturalised very soon. I wanted to know what would be my wifes residency status when I am naturalised?
Someone said that she will be given a Stamp 4, which will be valid for 5 years. Is this true?
Would be nice if someone replies to my query. Thanks in advance.

tiggs

Post by tiggs » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:39 am

Hi there,
Yes, thats the case she will get stamp4. Duration am not sure, but i think minimum 5 years.
Kind Regards
tiggs

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:27 pm

Just went through this procedure having been naturalised in January 2009 after arriving in 2001.

The non-EU spouse will indeed receive a Stanp 4. It is strangely only valid for one year.

You don't have to pay for it.

Mr.Goodman
Newly Registered

Post by Mr.Goodman » Thu May 14, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi,
Thanks Lost Soul, for your reply.

Can someone describe the difference between a 'Stamp 4' and a 'Stamp4 EUFAM'. Are they both the same?

If I am naturalised and take my non-EU spouse to the GNIB to change her status, what should I be requesting them? a Stamp 4 or a Stamp4 EUFAM ? What is my spouse eligible for?

Referring to the threads here, I have come to know that if you have a Stamp 4 EUFAM, you dont need to have a re-entry visa. Does one have benefits over the other?

Thanks in advance.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Fri May 15, 2009 11:25 am

If you become Irish, your non-EU spouse will get Stamp 4 as a spouse of an Irish national. In order for your spouse to get stamp 4EUFAM you would have to be an EU national but not Irish.

Lost Soul

Post by Lost Soul » Fri May 15, 2009 5:48 pm

The joke of all this is that the spouse of an Irish Citizen has more rights anywhere else in the EU than they have in Ireland.

Can anyone explain the logic behind this?

JAJ
Australia

Re: Status of a Stamp 3 holder when the spouse is Naturalise

Post by JAJ » Sun May 17, 2009 4:27 pm

Mr.Goodman wrote:Hi.

My wife is staying with me in Ireland since 5 years on a dependant visa ( Stamp 3). I will be naturalised very soon.
Why did your wife not apply for naturalisation at the same time?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun May 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Lost Soul wrote:The joke of all this is that the spouse of an Irish Citizen has more rights anywhere else in the EU than they have in Ireland.

Can anyone explain the logic behind this?
Irish citizens can sponsor spouses for residence and after a few years spouse can become a citizen, so it's unclear what your problem is.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon May 18, 2009 7:59 am

tiggs wrote:Hi there,
Yes, thats the case she will get stamp4. Duration am not sure, but i think minimum 5 years.
Kind Regards
tiggs

Duration is for a maximum of 5 years, or until the end of the validity of the passport, whichever is sooner.

Mr.Goodman
Newly Registered

Post by Mr.Goodman » Mon May 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Hi Scrudu,
Thanks for your reply and everyone involved in this thread.

Regarding the status of my wife, she is a Non-EU, on a dependent visa (Stamp 3), and had never worked in Ireland since she arrived in July , 2004. Can she still apply for residency?
Thanks in advance.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue May 19, 2009 11:22 am

Mr.Goodman, once you get naturalised, your wife will be able to get stamp 4, which will be her residency on the basis of her marriage to irish national.
If you are here on work permits, she could apply for long term residency as a dependant of a work permit holder. She should have 60 months on stamp 3 before applying (gaps are not counted). The processing is rather slow and can take around 1.5-2 years. In the end as a dependant she would be getting long term residency but stamp 3 for 5 years, which would not allow her to work. So probably all that is not worth it, especially if she can get stamp 4 following your naturalisation.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue May 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Mr.Goodman: As earlier posts describe, when you become an Irish citizen, your wife can apply for a Stamp 4 Residency Stamp which is valid for a maximum of 5 years. This will issued free of charge as she is a spouse of an Irish citizen. One she has this she can go to the INIS desk in the GNIB offices and get a Re-Entry visa sticker in her passport (also free of charge). The main difference in practicality between the Stamp4 and Stamp4EUFAM only relates to ease of entering other EU Counries. Some EU countries allow free entry (i.e. without a seperate visa) with the Stamp4EUFAM visa sticker. This is not true for Stamp4 visa holders. In those cases your wife will have to apply for a visa to enter the country. There shouldn't be any problem with your wife applying for a Stamp4. It should simply be a matter of you both turning up to a GNIB office with your Marriage Certificate and Passports.

As JAJ asked, why has your wife not applied for Irish citizenship? She has also completed the required 5 years of residency in the country, so should also be eligible to apply for citizenship. It may take a few years, but possibly a preferable option to a Stamp4?

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Status of a Stamp 3 holder when the spouse is Naturalise

Post by Ben » Tue May 19, 2009 1:38 pm

JAJ wrote:
Mr.Goodman wrote:Hi.

My wife is staying with me in Ireland since 5 years on a dependant visa ( Stamp 3). I will be naturalised very soon.
Why did your wife not apply for naturalisation at the same time?
Indeed. 5 years on Stamp 3 is enough for naturalisation, as it is not time spent as a student, as a refugee or without permission.