ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP Extension - Dependant Maintenance

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ALee_80

HSMP Extension - Dependant Maintenance

Post by ALee_80 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Am I right in thinking that one doesn't need to show maintenance for a dependant if applying for an extension of leave under HSMP?

According to the PBS Dependant form:

"H5. Is the main applicant making an application as:

An initial (switching) application - go to question J2

An extension of his/her existing leave - go to Section K

A result of a change of employment - go to Section K"

Since this is an extension application, therefore option 2 'An extension of his/her existing leave - go to Section K' is applicable to us. Scrolling down to Section K shows that there is no mention of maintenance funds.

Can someone in the know or someone who's already been through the process please shed some light on this.

Regards,
A
Last edited by ALee_80 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: HSMP Extension

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:34 pm

You have to show maintenance funds(also for dependents) while applying for extension. If you are in UK for over 12 months you need to prove £800(for yourself)+£533(for each dependent).
ALee_80 wrote:Am I right in thinking that one doesn't need to show maintenance for a dependant if applying for an extension of leave under HSMP?

Since this is an extension application, therefore option 2 'An extension of his/her existing leave - go to Section K' is applicable to us. Scrolling down to Section K shows that there is no mention of maintenance funds.

Can someone in the know or someone who's already been through the process please shed some light on this.

Regards,
A

ALee_80

Post by ALee_80 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. So you are basically saying that the form is wrong. Yes?

Correct me if I'm wrong but according to the form, I need to go straight to section K if I am applying for an extension.
When you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit it a third time - a tremendous whack

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:06 pm

I have not seen the latest form you are referring to. I have received my HSMP to Tier1(General- non JR) extension last week. I had to submit the maintenance funds details.Also refer to Policy Document (for Dependent). Maintenance funds requirements are clearly mentioned there. Below the link

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... policy.pdf

In the dependent application form, Page 29 Section J clearly require you to fill the maintenance funds details.

ALee_80 wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. So you are basically saying that the form is wrong. Yes?

Correct me if I'm wrong but according to the form, I need to go straight to section K if I am applying for an extension.

ALee_80

Post by ALee_80 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks chetanojha

Been through the guidance policy a gazzillion times already but no where does it mention anything about HSMP extensions for dependants and the maintenance requirement.
In the dependent application form, Page 29 Section J clearly require you to fill the maintenance funds details.
That's my whole point - If you tick the box in section H5 against: "An extension of his/her existing leave - go to Section K" - that completely bypasses Section J which is maintenance funds. I completely agree with you that one needs to provide proof of maintenance funds for one's dependant but the form does not reflect that.

ssvgopal

Post by ssvgopal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Its another example of how well organised is HO documentation.

Looks like Jacqui Smith needs to take some time to review these documents herself. There is still confusion in the guidance and the application(main as well as dependant) over the use of the term "initial(switching) application" and "extending existing leave". They have not used a distinct term to refer to :
a. already on HSMP visa(points-based) and switching(extending) to Tier 1(General).
b. already on Tier 1(General) and extending under Tier 1(General).

I couldn't help marvel at how HO missed this basic logic.

Take it in your stride and fill all the applicable sections. Thats what I am about to do. You could mention this in the covering letter, so that officially you are always on the right.

Cheers,
Sai

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Alee,

First of all HSMP is obsolete now. There is no visa category exist called HSMP. HSMP is replaced by Tier 1(General). When you apply for extension from HSMP visa, you will be granted visa under Tier 1(General) category. For Tier 1(General) category, you need to provide maintenance proof as mentioned in the Guidance notes(page 7) as pasted below:

38.If the Tier 1 migrant has been in the United Kingdom for 12 months or more, each family member of the Tier 1 migrant must have £533 to support himself/herself.

So if you read for maintenance funds, you should be reading for Tier 1 category instead of searching for HSMP.

Hope this will help clear confusion.
ALee_80 wrote:Thanks chetanojha

Been through the guidance policy a gazzillion times already but no where does it mention anything about HSMP extensions for dependants and the maintenance requirement.
That's my whole point - If you tick the box in section H5 against: "An extension of his/her existing leave - go to Section K" - that completely bypasses Section J which is maintenance funds. I completely agree with you that one needs to provide proof of maintenance funds for one's dependant but the form does not reflect that.

push
United Kingdom

Re: HSMP Extension - Dependant Maintenance

Post by push » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 pm

ALee_80 wrote:Am I right in thinking that one doesn't need to show maintenance for a dependant if applying for an extension of leave under HSMP?

Regards,
A
How did you reach to H5 in the first place? When you reach to H3, you need to check Tier-1 General and the form directs you to jump to H4. Whatever your response to H4 is, the form directs you to J1 which is where you provide details of the maintenance funds.

I think the form is perfectly fine or am I missing anything here?
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

ALee_80

Post by ALee_80 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks for the eye opener chetanojha...I thought we were still doing HSMP!

And just in case you missed my drift - the above was meant to be sarcastic :-)

Thanks for all your replies in any case.
chetanojha wrote:Alee,

First of all HSMP is obsolete now. There is no visa category exist called HSMP. HSMP is replaced by Tier 1(General). When you apply for extension from HSMP visa, you will be granted visa under Tier 1(General) category. For Tier 1(General) category, you need to provide maintenance proof as mentioned in the Guidance notes(page 7) as pasted below:

38.If the Tier 1 migrant has been in the United Kingdom for 12 months or more, each family member of the Tier 1 migrant must have £533 to support himself/herself.

So if you read for maintenance funds, you should be reading for Tier 1 category instead of searching for HSMP.

Hope this will help clear confusion.
ALee_80 wrote:Thanks chetanojha

ALee_80

Post by ALee_80 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:46 am

thanks push_hsmp,

you managed to clarify it. basically I failed to look at H3 - Tier2 (General) which asks you to go to H5. Since H3 Tier 1(G) asks you to go to H4. Now H4 offers you 2 options - but ticking either one takes you to the same section i.e. J1 - which didn't make much sense to me. Anyway - thanks for picking that up.

IMO - this is not the most intuitive of forms. I have seen lots of spelling mistakes and a general lack of cohesiveness. I can predict another revision of this form coming very very soon.

Keep up the good work HO!
push_hsmp wrote:

Regards,
A
How did you reach to H5 in the first place? When you reach to H3, you need to check Tier-1 General and the form directs you to jump to H4. Whatever your response to H4 is, the form directs you to J1 which is where you provide details of the maintenance funds.

I think the form is perfectly fine or am I missing anything here?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Thought you went through the forms/policy a gazzillion times ;-).

Anyway, glad it is sorted out.
ALee_80 wrote:thanks push_hsmp,

you managed to clarify it. basically I failed to look at H3 - Tier2 (General) which asks you to go to H5. Since H3 Tier 1(G) asks you to go to H4. Now H4 offers you 2 options - but ticking either one takes you to the same section i.e. J1 - which didn't make much sense to me. Anyway - thanks for picking that up.

IMO - this is not the most intuitive of forms. I have seen lots of spelling mistakes and a general lack of cohesiveness. I can predict another revision of this form coming very very soon.

Keep up the good work HO!

Saf
Newly Registered

HSMP (prior Nov 06) Dependant visa - Urget advice

Post by Saf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi,

Could you please advise me:

I fall under the category of HSMP and am an applicant who obtained an HSMP visa prior to 7 November 2006.

I am now applying for my wife who is currently in Pakistan. Please can you advise which forms should I use for her application:

ie.

A) VAF2 (employment category) application form . or

B) Application form VAF10 PBS- Dependent.

Also in the new tier 1 category there is a clause for maintaining funds of at least £1600 at any given time. I have sufficient funds in my account however the balance had fallen under that level for a period of one week. Do I need to maintainn the fund under the old HSMP category as I am not applying for the visa under Tier 1. Please can you advise.

Thank you and Kind regards

Sarfraz