ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Argentine wife with Italian passport - visa required?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rahul_yanina

Argentine wife with Italian passport - visa required?

Post by rahul_yanina » Tue May 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi guys,
I have a question about my wife's visa requirements and thought it would be worthwhile asking it here.

My wife is Argentinian, but she also has an Italian passport. Does she need a visa for joining me in the U.K.? Normally Italians should be exempt from Visa requirements, as far as I know, but does the fact that she also has an Argentinian passport and is coming to join me here change things?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Tue May 05, 2009 3:10 pm

No, she just presents her Italian passport on arrival, and enters the country as an EU national. Presumably she will bring her Argentine passport with her to enable her to re-enter Argentina, but no need to produce it here.
If she has a different surname (e.g. married name) in the passports, make sure she presents to the airline the one with the same name as the ticket. But to cross any border in Europe, just use the Italian passport.

rahul_yanina

Post by rahul_yanina » Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks for the help mate. Much appreciated.
Just a further quick question - is it possible to hold 3 passports? So in her case Argentine, Italian and British?

dreamercon
Newly Registered

Post by dreamercon » Wed May 06, 2009 1:25 pm

Sure it's possible to hold three passports. Your wife can be naturalized as a British citizen after a few years of residence in the UK.

If she is interested in getting naturalized in three years as a spouse of a British citizen (instead of six as an EEA national), then she should apply for a special permit that costs £££ as soon as she moves to the UK.
rahul_yanina wrote:Thanks for the help mate. Much appreciated.
Just a further quick question - is it possible to hold 3 passports? So in her case Argentine, Italian and British?

rahul_yanina

Post by rahul_yanina » Wed May 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it is better to put in the application for the spouse visa once she is in the country on the Italian passport, or is it better to come into the country with that visa itself? It would be better to make an in country application, as that means she can come in more quickly.

Isn't the special permit a dependent Visa for 2 years (leading up to an ILR and +1 year for the citizenship)?

dreamercon
Newly Registered

Post by dreamercon » Wed May 06, 2009 1:53 pm

You are correct. To my understanding, an EEA national can not apply for a spouse visa while abroad.

But she can make an "in-country" application for regular spouse status (with a fee) after arriving. It's in section 16 of Chapter 4 of the European Casework Instructions:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... dlaw/ecis/

-----

16. EEA National Spouses of British Citizens and Settled Persons
An EEA national who is the spouse of a British citizen or settled person may make a charged application under the Immigration Rules for leave to remain despite the fact that they are not required to obtain leave to remain.

The primary reason why an EEA national may choose to do this is so that s/he can obtain permanent residence within 2 years rather than within 5 years. This will then allow him/her to make an application for British citizenship at an earlier stage.

These applications are subject to the normal charges applying to applications made under the Immigration Rules.

In cases where it is clear that an EEA national is applying under the Rules, i.e. a rules based application form has been completed and the appropriate fee has been paid, then the application must be allocated to European Casework, not charged casework. The fee will not be refunded. This is due to the fact that the payment is made for the case to be considered under the Immigration Rules.

If the application is granted, the EEA passport must never be endorsed, as EEA nationals are not required to obtain leave. A registration certificate should be issued if the EEA national qualifies.

------
rahul_yanina wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it is better to put in the application for the spouse visa once she is in the country on the Italian passport, or is it better to come into the country with that visa itself? It would be better to make an in country application, as that means she can come in more quickly.

Isn't the special permit a dependent Visa for 2 years (leading up to an ILR and +1 year for the citizenship)?

rahul_yanina

Post by rahul_yanina » Wed May 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Wow! Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
Any idea what the charges are for this?
BTW, the link does not work, I think it is this one:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

dreamercon
Newly Registered

Post by dreamercon » Wed May 06, 2009 2:41 pm

I think its £465 initially
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... able060409
rahul_yanina wrote:Wow! Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.
Any idea what the charges are for this?
BTW, the link does not work, I think it is this one:
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

rahul_yanina

Post by rahul_yanina » Wed May 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.
They're taking the p**s with these charges, aren't they? Rip off Britain indeed!