ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier one visa - time in uk restrictions - 5 continuous years

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

majortom
Newly Registered

tier one visa - time in uk restrictions - 5 continuous years

Post by majortom » Wed May 06, 2009 9:28 pm

No doubt these questions have been answered elsewhere but I haven't been able to find the answers.

I am thinking of applying for highly skilled migration visa on the points system. I am thinking of taking some time off work over the next year or two as well (I have leave without pay due and I also am considering taking a year off). This means I may have lengthy periods not in employement and/or not in the UK.

Can someone tell me or point me to existing posts:

1. Are there any restrictions on the amount of time I must spend in the UK during the visa?

2. How spending time out of the UK and/or not in employment affects renewal of the visa after the initial term?

3. What '5 continuous years' means when it comes to applying for ILR? Clearly you don't need to spend every day in country but how much is too much time out of the country and if you spend time out of the country how do you count the 5 years?

Many thanks.

paperwork

Post by paperwork » Thu May 07, 2009 6:30 am

Hiya,

I have read around here in forum that the maximum period of stay outside UK in five years is just 180 days (6months) to be eligibile for ILR.

I believe one can go away on business / work, but one will have to prove that. I don't know how though.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

majortom
Newly Registered

Post by majortom » Thu May 07, 2009 11:23 am

Gosh, that's not very generous at all. So far I've been here a little over a year and have spent all my annual leave abroad and a few weekends/public holidays on top of that outside the UK. If I continue at this rate I will exceed 6mths out of the country even if I work a normal full time job the entire 5 years and don't take my leave without pay.

Does anyone have a link to any law/judgment/policy on this?

Thanks