ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i marry an Illegal Immigrant in UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

straw
Newly Registered

Can i marry an Illegal Immigrant in UK?

Post by straw » Wed May 13, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello people,

I posted a question earlier but I didn’t think it made much sense so I have tried to rephrase it.
I was born in Uk and hold both a EU passport as well as British passport and would like to know if I can marry my illegal girlfriend that I have known for 4 years and lived with for 2.5 years?
I have spoken to a few people and I was told that we can get married through the Church of England without having to go to her country of origin, is this really possible?
And secondly can I obtain a document called COA through the registry, even when she is not legal?
And lastly should I just go to her country and marry her there? I have already been to her country by myself to meet her family last year. I am just a little bit worried that she may not get a clearance to come back into UK. (Time and Cost is the issue here)
I wouldn’t want to get her into trouble so I would appreciate any advice on this issue.
Thanks.
Straw

mohdh

Re: Can i marry an Illegal Immigrant in UK?

Post by mohdh » Wed May 13, 2009 12:22 pm

My cousin who got PR in UK went to pakistan and married a girl who was illegall in UK for sometime. He said he is having problems with her entry clearence.

[quote="straw"]Hello people,

I posted a question earlier but I didn’t think it made much sense so I have tried to rephrase it.
I was born in Uk and hold both a EU passport as well as British passport and would like to know if I can marry my illegal girlfriend that I have known for 4 years and lived with for 2.5 years?
I have spoken to a few people and I was told that we can get married through the Church of England without having to go to her country of origin, is this really possible?
And secondly can I obtain a document called COA through the registry, even when she is not legal?
And lastly should I just go to her country and marry her there? I have already been to her country by myself to meet her family last year. I am just a little bit worried that she may not get a clearance to come back into UK. (Time and Cost is the issue here)
I wouldn’t want to get her into trouble so I would appreciate any advice on this issue.
Thanks.
Straw[/quote]

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 13, 2009 12:28 pm

The EU route would be easier if you hold nationality of an EU country.
I believe under EU regulations you wouldn't have to leave the UK to apply for family permit...but others are more clued up than I am regarding
this. Wait for confirmation.

straw
Newly Registered

Post by straw » Wed May 13, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks guys , this is a good start and i hope there is someone out there who knows if there is really a way around this.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Regulations were relaxed regarding COA's following a court ruling and
even illegal residents are able to apply for a COA to marry. However,
bear in mind that the application may well alert the authorities to your
fiancee's overstay and whereabouts.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: Can i marry an Illegal Immigrant in UK?

Post by Rozen » Wed May 13, 2009 2:10 pm

straw wrote:Hello people,

Thanks.
Straw
A British passport is also an EU passport! So what other EU passport do you hold?

straw
Newly Registered

Post by straw » Wed May 13, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your interest and input