ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are Chefs a Shortage Occupation

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sidzz
Newly Registered

Are Chefs a Shortage Occupation

Post by sidzz » Thu May 14, 2009 9:55 am

Hi,
I've been trying to find out if chefs are on the shortage occupation list. The list on this website contains skilled chefs as a shortage occupation, but elswhere some list dont include this catagory.
I found this on p131 of the following pdf:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... rt2009.pdf
does this mean that chefs earning above £8.45 do not have to qualify for the Resident labour test before applying for a sponsorship cert?
Hope someone can shed a little light on this subject.
Great Forum by the way :D

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:36 am

I have read it somewhere about Chef's, however i dont think it would be any level Chef's i think its Chef de Partie (supervisor) level or above not just specific to £8.45 an hour
Magsi

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 pm

The current description of "skilled chef" in the shortage occupation list is unhelpful, because it's earnings-based. MAC have said they do believe that pay is an indicator of skill and are happy to call any chef earning over £8.45 per hour (on current recommendations) a "skilled chef".

Job descriptions and suitable pay rates for non-shortage occupations are in the relevant code of practice in this document (chefs and cooks are listed from page 22):

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... actice.pdf

The code of practice contains loads of information about different kinds of chefs that might fulfil the requirements (head chef, sous chef etc., along with applicable pay rates). Apparently a head chef should be on over £9 an hour. However, if you were to use the shortage occupation route, then who would care? It seems contradictory to me.

Does anyone have any experience in making applications for chefs as shortage occupations?

sidzz
Newly Registered

Post by sidzz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi, looking at the list of chef on page 22 of the link above, does that mean chef de partie cannot get a tier 2 work permit? they can get enough points if their salary is over 24k without gaining points for qualifications, but would thay be refused as they are not at head/sous/second chef level (nvq/svq level 3)
Hope someone knows the answer :D