ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OVER 18 DEPENDENT

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SHARON08
Newly Registered

OVER 18 DEPENDENT

Post by SHARON08 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:28 am

Hi, everyone is talking about spouse visa or dependent visa(under eighteen) what about if you want to join your parent in the UK and you are over 18?

I am from Mauritius and my mother who is a widow works in England for the past 7 years in a hospital. She holds a permanent resisdent permit. I cannot join her because i am over 18 (27 now). I had a really hard time, i was studying in England but couldnt finish it, so i applied again for a student visa and got refused.

So how come if you are married you can get your spouse to be your dependent but your own child because he/she is over 18 cannot be your dependent? Or immigration officer will make your life a hell if ever you want to apply for a compassionate leave?

My mother and brother lives in England, my sister has her own family (in Mauritius) and i am on my own here in Mauritius living with my grandparents. i would like to join my family in England but i do not know how? i am very frustrated and depressed because of this situation. i miss my family.

My mother keeps sending me money but this is not a life. A piece of paper can really tear a family apart. i wonder how these officers sleep at night. they pretend to do the right thing but still people who are not supposed to get a permit manage to enter the country and if you want to do things the right way you get refused.

Please if any body can help me to be back with my family you are most welcome to respond.

Thank you in advance.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 14, 2009 2:53 pm

Because at 27 u have or should have ur own life. It's not the culture in the UK to live on your parent coattails tis the culture here to bugger off from home as soon as u r of age.

I think ur argument should be with ur parents who seem to have preferred UK life over family.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

SHARON08
Newly Registered

Post by SHARON08 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:42 pm

SO priority is for spouses? they can join their wife/husband? If you are on a student visa which means working 20hrs you are allowed to have dependents, and your dependent can work normal hours up to 40 if im not mistaken.

So husband or wife, meaning over 18, can be dependent right? The person who went to england to study which is his/her choice, has chosen LIFE IN ENGLAND OVER FAMILY but still he/she has the right to bring his/her family along, while somebody who is already working full-time cannot.

For Wanderer's info, my mother did not chose LIFE IN ENGLAND OVER HER FAMILY. She did it to help us having a better education. she works hard for her children and not a lot of widow would do that. Some people would rather get money from the government to support themselves, as a lot of people do in SOME COUNTRIES, instead of working they live on social welfare.

My mother pays her taxes, she has a good job as a Ward Manager and is in England Legally. I know that in England you just get kicked out of the house as soon as you are 16, i know it is a different culture.

i have spent over 24,000 Sterling for my studies in England, i do not get any grant or anything. I would like somebody who knows about compassionate leave to give me an idea about how it works and what we should do, not someone who would judge what a mother has done for her children.

Thanks