ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 6 for Irish citizen in their foreign passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Darkhorse

Stamp 6 for Irish citizen in their foreign passport

Post by Darkhorse » Fri May 15, 2009 11:29 am

If someone has been naturalized become irish citizen. Can he/she obtain stamp 6 on his/her previous foreign passport if the country of origin does not support dual citizen?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri May 15, 2009 12:47 pm

What is the other country? Malaysia, India, etc?

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Fri May 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Singapore. Does it depend on coutry?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri May 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Darkhorse wrote:Singapore.
Be careful. Remember that a passport is merely a travel document, it doesn't make you any more of a citizen by holding it, or any less by not holding it.

Singapore is very strict (some would say paranoid) about its' citizens naturalising in other countries. Singapore expressly forbids it.

If the ICA were to find out that a Singapore citizen, above the age of 21, is also a citizen of another country, they will strip the person of his Singapore citizenship.

Stamp 6, or the "entitled to remain in Ireland without condition" stamp in a Singapore passport, may not immediately jump out as being equal to "this person is an Irish citizen", but it's easy enough for them to work out.

Save the possibility of moving the another EU country or having the ability to vote, why would a Singaporean want to naturalise as an Irish citizen anyway?
Last edited by Ben on Sat May 16, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Fri May 15, 2009 9:29 pm

what are the countries that do not allow dual nationalities?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 16, 2009 1:39 pm

agniukas wrote:what are the countries that do not allow dual nationalities?
No simple yes or no answer for many countries, because they restrict it in some circumstances, not others.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 pm

benifa wrote:
Darkhorse wrote:Singapore.
Be careful. Remember that a passport is merely a travel document, it doesn't make you any more of a citizen by holding it, or any less by not holding it.

Singapore is very strict (some would say paranoid) about its' citizens naturalising in other countries. Singapore expressly forbids it.

If the ICA were to find out that a Singapore citizen, above the age of 21, is also a citizen of another country, they will strip the person of his Singapore citizenship.
But that does mean that a Singapore citizen who becomes an Irish citizen remains a Singapore citizen until the ICA find out and take action.

Unlike, for example, an Indian or Danish citizen, who would automatically lose their original citizenship.

Save the possibility of moving the another EU country or having the ability to vote, why would a Singaporean want to naturalise as an Irish citizen anyway?
IF someone has settled in Ireland and sees their home and future in Ireland, why would they want to remain a foreigner for the rest of their life?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat May 16, 2009 2:18 pm

JAJ wrote:IF someone has settled in Ireland and sees their home and future in Ireland, why would they want to remain a foreigner for the rest of their life?
I suppose it's a case of weighing the gains against the losses.

He'd gain the right to vote in national and EU elections, and in referendums, gain the right of free movement among the Member States; but would lose the ability to live in Singapore in the future, inherit HDB property in Singapore, pass Singapore citizenship to offspring, and possibly more - I don't know.

Depends on the individual circumstances, I guess. If the person is a family member of an EU national, the right of free movement may exist anyway (if moving in the company of / to join..). Sure, the voting rights are important, I agree. Certainly if the Singapore citizen if not the family member of an EU national, and has been resident in Ireland on the back of a work permit, for example, then yes - naturalisation may be an option worthy of more serious consideration.

All Singaporeans I know of, resident in Ireland, choose LTR rather than naturalisation, for the very reasons I have stated.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 16, 2009 9:42 pm

benifa wrote: I suppose it's a case of weighing the gains against the losses.

He'd gain the right to vote in national and EU elections, and in referendums, gain the right of free movement among the Member States; but would lose the ability to live in Singapore in the future, inherit HDB property in Singapore, pass Singapore citizenship to offspring, and possibly more - I don't know.

Depends on the individual circumstances, I guess. If the person is a family member of an EU national, the right of free movement may exist anyway (if moving in the company of / to join..). Sure, the voting rights are important, I agree. Certainly if the Singapore citizen if not the family member of an EU national, and has been resident in Ireland on the back of a work permit, for example, then yes - naturalisation may be an option worthy of more serious consideration.

All Singaporeans I know of, resident in Ireland, choose LTR rather than naturalisation, for the very reasons I have stated.
The fundamental question has to be that if you settle in a country and make it your home, why would you want to stay a foreigner and hold the passport of a faraway country? (there might be practical reasons for some to do just that but over time, these usually drop away).

Not many Singaporeans become British citizens - about 100 per year - but over 1300 became Australian citizens in 2007/08.

And around 400 Singapore citizens (or at least, Singapore born persons) become U.S. citizens each year.

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi Guys, thanks for all your response on my question. Sorry I wasn't able to response sooner (being admitted to hospital).