ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maintenance Funds confusion ( outside UK)

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mhkhan

Maintenance Funds confusion ( outside UK)

Post by mhkhan » Sat May 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply for Tier 1 General from Dubai where I have been living for the past 2 years.
My query is reqarding Maintenance Funds for myself and my dependents.

I need to know if I apply myself first and family (3) applies after after 2 months provided I am successful, do I need to show just 2800 Pounds or Do I have to show the 2800+1600+1600+ 1600 even when I am applying alone.
The confusion arose from the application form which says that if the family has to join within 12 months of my going to UK, I need to show maintenance for all. However, the Immigration Law and the Guidance states that family funds are required at the time of their application.

I have 3 month histroy of sufficient funds for 2800 pounds but for the family I will need to wait for 3 more months which I dont have the luxury of.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks in advance,

nsuk
- thin ice -

Re: Maintenance Funds confusion ( outside UK)

Post by nsuk » Sun May 17, 2009 1:10 pm

mhkhan wrote:Hi,

I am planning to apply for Tier 1 General from Dubai where I have been living for the past 2 years.

I need to know if I apply myself first and family (3) applies after after 2 months provided I am successful, do I need to show just 2800 Pounds or Do I have to show the 2800+1600+1600+ 1600 even when I am applying alone.
The confusion arose from the application form which says that if the family has to join within 12 months of my going to UK, I need to show maintenance for all. However, the Immigration Law and the Guidance states that family funds are required at the time of their application.

I have 3 month histroy of sufficient funds for 2800 pounds but for the family I will need to wait for 3 more months which I dont have the luxury of.

Thanks in advance,

Hello Friend

I am also having the same question as yours because the wordings of the application form and that of the policy guidance surely contradict with each other and provide for a sure scope of overlapping which could result in a possible refusal.

Hope we could find a solution with some experienced reply.

Truly yours

Neeraj Sharma :?:

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Post by tvn_ramesh » Sun May 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Thanks in advance,
Hello Mhkhan and NSUK....

If the main applicant is applying alone from outside UK or from anywhere he just need to show only the maintenance for himself.. irrelevant of his family joining him next month or next day he goes to UK.. so you both can go ahead to apply if you have enough funds for you alone initially...

NOTE:(edited) Apologies.. need to check the new application.. so pls do ur research for the time being.. will chk the guidance n get back.. thanks push..

Goodluck..
Last edited by tvn_ramesh on Sun May 17, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun May 17, 2009 6:39 pm

tvn_ramesh wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Hello Mithun and NSUK....

If the main applicant is applying alone from outside UK or from anywhere he just need to show only the maintenance for himself.. irrelevant of his family joining him next month or next day he goes to UK.. so you both can go ahead to apply if you have enough funds for you alone initially...

Goodluck..
The application forms says something exactly opposite. The form specifically asks whether the dependents intend to join the main applicant in next 12 months and if so, funds for the dependents too should be available.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

salloo

Post by salloo » Mon May 18, 2009 10:06 am

So, this means that one has to show maintenance fund for his family as well if they intend to join within 12 months of his arrival to uk. I am mentioning that my family members are not intended to join me within a year so my maintenance fund is 2800 GBP.
Is this OK?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon May 18, 2009 8:03 pm

salloo wrote:So, this means that one has to show maintenance fund for his family as well if they intend to join within 12 months of his arrival to uk. I am mentioning that my family members are not intended to join me within a year so my maintenance fund is 2800 GBP.
Is this OK?
Yes. absolutely.
regards,
push

nsuk
- thin ice -

Post by nsuk » Mon May 18, 2009 8:32 pm

push_hsmp wrote:
salloo wrote:So, this means that one has to show maintenance fund for his family as well if they intend to join within 12 months of his arrival to uk. I am mentioning that my family members are not intended to join me within a year so my maintenance fund is 2800 GBP.
Is this OK?
Yes. absolutely.
Dear Friends :P

But the real problem still persists.

How can the application form say something which is opposite to the policy guidance. It should be very clear that if I am applying alone why should I be showing maintenance funds for the entire family. One should always get his visa cleared first then he should apply for the dependents .

Otherwise if the principal application is refused the visa fee for the whole family goes into the drain. I think there is a grey area into this so as to widen the scope of refusals. After all it is GBP 750 per application to be swindled.

This is also because if an ECO can refuse an application he has to because it is his job.

The entire UKBA setup runs on the visa fee payed by all of ours hard earned money.

There must be done something collectively to rectify this confusion.

AM I RIGHT still-unclear/VISADIRECT. :?:

Neeraj Sharma :D

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon May 18, 2009 9:54 pm

nsuk wrote:
push_hsmp wrote:
Is this OK?
Yes. absolutely.
Dear Friends :P

But the real problem still persists.

How can the application form say something which is opposite to the policy guidance. It should be very clear that if I am applying alone why should I be showing maintenance funds for the entire family. One should always get his visa cleared first then he should apply for the dependents .

Otherwise if the principal application is refused the visa fee for the whole family goes into the drain. I think there is a grey area into this so as to widen the scope of refusals. After all it is GBP 750 per application to be swindled.

This is also because if an ECO can refuse an application he has to because it is his job.

The entire UKBA setup runs on the visa fee payed by all of ours hard earned money.

There must be done something collectively to rectify this confusion.

AM I RIGHT still-unclear/VISADIRECT. :?:

Neeraj Sharma :D
VISA form is exactly in line with the policy- which is, if dependents intend to join you within 12 months of main applicant's entry into UK, they all need to show maintenance funds. The application form specifically asks for this information (I guess) to discourage the practice in which the main applicant applies all alone initially and thereafter uses the same funds to prove meeting maintenance criteria for the dependents. The spirit of the relevant rule is - the main applicant + the dependents should have access to sufficient funds so that they can sustain in UK without recourse to the public funds.
regards,
push

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon May 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Btw, if you are applying alone and your dependents will not join you within 12 months of you setting foot on UK soil, then you do not have to provide funds proof for you dependents. This is clearly stated in the Forms.
regards,
push

mhkhan

Post by mhkhan » Tue May 19, 2009 9:33 am

[quote="push_hsmp"]Btw, if you are applying alone and your dependents will not join you within 12 months of you setting foot on UK soil, then you do not have to provide funds proof for you dependents. This is clearly stated in the Forms.[/quote

Hi again,
I have been reading replies with interest but am sure there are many who are still not convinced. What happens if I apply alone and show my family will not join within 12 months but if I get lucky and get a decent job soon after arriving in UK, I would be able to show the funds but then I might be in trouble if I have my family apply within 12 months contrary to what I had claimed. In my case, I already have 3 month history of funds sufficient for myself and will have the same for the family after 2 months.

If they add the requirement mentioned in the application to the Guidance then all confusion can be cleared.

Regards,

Raji_karmlaw

Post by Raji_karmlaw » Tue May 19, 2009 11:23 am

Hi,
In practice we apply first for the primary applicant with GBP 2800/- as maintenance funds. Once the visa is through we apply for the dependants using funds apart from the GBP 2800/- already shown, and have had no problems so far.
Immigration law is mystery and a mastery in obfuscation, and the lawyers who can figure that out are worth their weight in gold.

mhkhan

Post by mhkhan » Tue May 19, 2009 12:49 pm

[quote="Raji_karmlaw"]Hi,
In practice we apply first for the primary applicant with GBP 2800/- as maintenance funds. Once the visa is through we apply for the dependants using funds apart from the GBP 2800/- already shown, and have had no problems so far.[/quote]

Raji,
Thank you for the reply. I have understood this now and will do the same.
Just one last question. If I have one bank account with more than the funds required for the entire family, can the same account with 3 months balance be shown first for the main applicant and later for the dependants?

Regards,

Raji_karmlaw

Post by Raji_karmlaw » Wed May 20, 2009 7:01 am

Hi,
Yes, surely.
Immigration law is mystery and a mastery in obfuscation, and the lawyers who can figure that out are worth their weight in gold.

mhkhan

Post by mhkhan » Fri May 22, 2009 12:33 am

[quote="Raji_karmlaw"]Hi,
Yes, surely.[/quote]

Raji,
Sorry to bother you again. I have another query.

1. Can I show joint account with my wife and sister in law as the proof of maintenance funds. Am one of the 3 joint account holders.

2. According to my bank system, once they show all three names on the statement, they only have space for my first name which is Muhammad, probably the world's most common name.
I have gotten the reference letter from the bank showing my full name for the same joint account but do you think this will be acceptable?
Thanks for your help.

Hamad