ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa query

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yowtran
Newly Registered

Schengen Visa query

Post by yowtran » Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Hello

The German Consular allows postal applications for spouses so would be easier to apply than having to go in person to the Spanish Consular.

If I got a Spouse Schengen Visa from there, would I have to visit Germany first before being allowed entry to other countries or can I just go straight to any other Schengen country?

Thanks

Yow

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue May 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Schengen rules say that you have to apply either to the country of main destination (longest stay) or if this cannot be determined you should apply to the country of first entry. Some embassies check that very carefully when you apply to them next time, e.g. France, and may refuse to issue another visa.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: Schengen Visa query

Post by Rozen » Tue May 19, 2009 2:46 pm

yowtran wrote:Hello

The German Consular allows postal applications for spouses so would be easier to apply than having to go in person to the Spanish Consular.

If I got a Spouse Schengen Visa from there, would I have to visit Germany first before being allowed entry to other countries or can I just go straight to any other Schengen country?

Thanks

Yow
Whatever you do, at least do set foot in Germany!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue May 19, 2009 4:51 pm

86ti wrote:Schengen rules say that you have to apply either to the country of main destination (longest stay) or if this cannot be determined you should apply to the country of first entry. Some embassies check that very carefully when you apply to them next time, e.g. France, and may refuse to issue another visa.
Have they ever refused to issue another visa to a spouse of an EU citizen?

yowtran
Newly Registered

Post by yowtran » Tue May 19, 2009 4:51 pm

I don't intend to enter Germany at all and just want to go to Spain.

Will I be allowed into Spain?

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue May 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
86ti wrote:Schengen rules say that you have to apply either to the country of main destination (longest stay) or if this cannot be determined you should apply to the country of first entry. Some embassies check that very carefully when you apply to them next time, e.g. France, and may refuse to issue another visa.
I think yes but we would have to work through some of the threads to be sure. I hope somebody else can help out here.

yowtran
Newly Registered

Post by yowtran » Tue May 19, 2009 10:14 pm

Does anybody have any idea on this? I don't have time to visit a Consulate personally and would rather not have to enter Germany before travelling to my intended destination.

What does the Schengen visa look like? Does it state where it is issued and does it differ from Consular to Consular?

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 am

Hi yowtran, welcome to the Forum :!:
yowtran wrote:...The German Consular allows postal applications for spouses so would be easier to apply than having to go in person to the Spanish Consular...
According to the rules you´re not supposed to apply with the Germans. Thus you have to at least tell them that you intend to go there.

I once managed to get an Austrian multiple visa, with which I entered Belgium first and Italy next. Much later we visited Austria on a Belgian visa. All mixed up, no real problems, no questions asked.
yowtran wrote:If I got a Spouse Schengen Visa from there...
You´re the Spouse of an EU or EFTA citizen? Why apply for a visa at all? See >>here<< and >>here<<.

Last but not least a question to you: Where do you live that the Germans allow postal applications?

yowtran
Newly Registered

Post by yowtran » Wed May 20, 2009 8:47 am

All abit mixed up but the visa will actually be for my wife who is Vietnamese. I'm British.

The Germans allow postal applications for spouse visas. There was no mention on their website on restrictions depending on where you live like with the French Consular.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 am

yowtran wrote:What does the Schengen visa look like? Does it state where it is issued and does it differ from Consular to Consular?
Well, you could just use your favourite search engine, e.g. http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=schengen%20visa

Schengen visa are supposed to look the same but who issued it will be very obvious. Also the language and codes used will depend on the issuing country. For details see http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... %29:EN:NOT

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed May 20, 2009 9:19 am

ca.funke wrote:Last but not least a question to you: Where do you live that the Germans allow postal applications?
The German embassy in London allows family of EU citizens who have had a visa in the past year to apply by post. Very efficient and German :-) I would never apply anywhere else...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 20, 2009 9:51 am

What will happen us this;

1. Get Schengen visa from Germany

2. Go to Spain on it

Fine - but if u apply for another German Schengen visa you won't get it, they will look in the passport and see no German stamps in it, we issued it - got no travel income from it, bish, bash, bosh - denied.

Which begs another issue - always get stamped! EU IO's will most likely not bother but then u have no proof you've been there and abided by the Schengen visa spirit!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:30 am

Wanderer wrote: Which begs another issue - always get stamped! EU IO's will most likely not bother but then u have no proof you've been there and abided by the Schengen visa spirit!
In the absence of entry and exit stamps: (flight, train, coach, ferry) Boarding passes; bank statements showing transactions in the relevant schengen country would suffice.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu May 21, 2009 9:25 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:...The German embassy in London allows family of EU citizens who have had a visa in the past year to apply by post. Very efficient and German :-) I would never apply anywhere else...
Hi Directive, long time no hear :)

In Dublin it was the opposite: Nothing was efficient in the German embassy - they simply didn´t want to issue a visa without trouble. As a consequence of always having trouble, and never being able to just pop back-and-forth between Schengen and Ireland, we now moved into Schengen.

Had the Germans just given us a long-term-multiple-entry without too many stoopid questions "do you really want to see your family at Christmas??", it might well be that we´d still live in Dublin.

However, Switzerland is a nice place too :)

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:22 pm

86ti wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
I think yes but we would have to work through some of the threads to be sure. I hope somebody else can help out here.

The Swedish embassy has always issued me with a Schengen visa for more than seven times, though I've always entered through Copenhagen ( Denmark ), then by road to malmo in Sweden. And always on my applications I've indicated it that my point of entry is Copenhagen.The only Swedish stamps I've got are the exit stamps only, and I've never gotten into any trouble getting visa with the Swedish embassy.