ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

RTE Prime Time Video: Immigration & the Recession

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Southern_Sky

RTE Prime Time Video: Immigration & the Recession

Post by Southern_Sky » Wed May 20, 2009 10:09 am

Prime Time reports on increasing resentment towards immigrants as the Government prepares to introduce work permit restrictions.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1048194

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed May 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Good find! Very interesting.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Wed May 20, 2009 3:27 pm

I watched this last night. I didn't realise how far reaching the changes to work permit arrangements were.

Felt really sorry for that guy running in the local elections getting abuse on the door steps for his colour/background. It must be quite disheartening.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Wed May 20, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks for that link. I'd missed the show so it was good to catch it.

Pretty disgraceful changes to the Work Permit system for those already in Ireland. I think there should definitely be a differentiation between those already here (i.e. who have already had a work permit), and new applicants. I also thought that the measures included in the current Work Permit system were already in favour of EU workers and don't see how this 8 week advertisement period is going to help, apart from to result in migrants not getting the positions :(

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 am

It's pretty obvious by Mr "Stick with the kebabs" that the intention is to shake loose as many immigrants as possible. I know this is a gloomy thing to say but my near 9 years in Ireland shows me that Irish politicians are that cynical.
I thought it was a good show although disappointed that they didn't mention the other barriers setup for immigrants like the waiting times for residency and citizenship as well as the extortionate immigrant tax for GNIB cards and work permits. Especially since they now essentially force the worker to pay for the work permit now.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:55 am

Well, there seems to be quite a lot of dirty laundry being aired in public at the moment...
1, The deliberate delay in approvals to catch the higher fees,
2, The Immigrant Council publishing waiting times, acceptance rates, fees, and numbers of applications in other countries and mentioning some of the real waiting times in their press release,
3, the general level of xenophobia in the local population as shown in the Prime Time report,
4, and of course the whole work permit scam, where they get 3 months to find a new job that must be advertised for 2 months (obviously almost impossible, given 3 above). The GNIB might as well just stamp "F*** off" in their passports!
But my favourite was the intellectual giant at the start of the Prime Time report who said "If they weren't here there'd be more jobs for the irish people", what a genius!!

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu May 21, 2009 9:14 am

Yeah, loved that comment!
All I thought was why do they think they are qualified to do some of the jobs that migrant workers do. I've been exposed to these sorts of comments (I'm from New Zealand and we welcome plenty of Irish each year).

Agree with the comment that they might as well stamp "GO HOME" in the passports of those who are unfortunate enough to be made redundant.
Feel really sorry for people in this situation as many of them will probably have to be here 7 years (given the LTR processing time) before they can get any sort of status that doesn't require a work permit.

tom4

Post by tom4 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:28 am

I've also had plenty of that sort of thing, often from people who should know better. Yeah, the delay for LTR makes things very difficult, by the time you have that you nearly quaify for WCT. I have no doubt that these delays are deliberate (given the email about delaying approvals). I also think the delays for naturalisation are deliberate - demand for that service is predictable 5 years in advance, so an increase in numbers should be no surprise and is certainly no excuse, especially compared to other countries.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu May 21, 2009 11:45 am

Anybody know where I can watch this??? The link does not work outside the republic of Ireland!!!!

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu May 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Just found it on RTE the picture and sound wasn't great but got the general picture!! Where do they find the people they interview the guys at the start??? Please!! they are taking Irish peoples jobs??? That can be said about all the Irish immigrants all over the world my self included!! Imagine if they were to start sending all the Irish immigrants home from the states??? There would be uproar!!!

I have to say everytime I go home I do notice more and more resentment against immigrants, but thankfully not everyone thinks like these idiots only some ignorant people!

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:46 pm

ciaramc wrote:Anybody know where I can watch this??? The link does not work outside the republic of Ireland!!!!
Bittorrent at http://www.irishtorrents.com

sorry, you need an account.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu May 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Ciara - How were you able to watch this outside of Ireland? Do you have a link? Thanks. :)

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu May 21, 2009 12:52 pm

Hey all,

Watched it on- http://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/ but rather than clicking rte player clicked watch this show! As I said the picture and sound wasn't great but you get the picture.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu May 21, 2009 1:06 pm

Ah, gotcha. The old Realplayer feeds. Thanks for letting us know!

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:42 pm

TRV

Post by TRV » Sat May 23, 2009 9:23 am

I have to say everytime I go home I do notice more and more resentment against immigrants, but thankfully not everyone thinks like these idiots only some ignorant people!

It is unfortunate that some of that ignorant people are government officials drawing the immigration rules...

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:24 pm

As I dont live in Ireland any more.

Just seen that documentary and I have to say I am very disgusted to say the least.

I feel sorry for the people who are affected by this "law change".

just came across this website and there is a protest going on against this in Dublin.

sharing the link for those who are affected or those who would like to show solidarity with those who are affected.

Demonstration Tomorrow to Stop Work Permit Changes Coming on June 1st
Appeal to Tánaiste to stop the changes that will force migrant workers underground
Demonstration to Stop the Work Permit Changes

When: Tomorrow, Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Time: 12:00 midday

Where: Offices of the Tánaiste and Minister for Enterprise , Trade and Employment, 23 Kildare Street , Dublin 2

http://www.swp.ie/index.php?page=132&dept=News

my sincerest sympathies with those affected.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Southern_Sky

Post by Southern_Sky » Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 pm