ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student->SEGS->hsmp: how long for settlement?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chamelion

student->SEGS->hsmp: how long for settlement?

Post by chamelion » Mon May 25, 2009 11:00 am

hey everyone,

I'm so confused with these ever changing tier1/hsmp laws. i just need to figure out when i'll be able to get a settlement visa.

so basically came here as a student in sept '05. moved to the one year SEGS (science engineering graduate scheme) in october '06 and started employment in november '06.

in sept '07 I got my HSMP valid for 2 years.

Now obviously i need to get at least one more hsmp. what i'm wondering is if there's a best time for me to get it so i can move to settlement easier.

so my question is basically can i apply for settlement:

a) in september '11 when i'd have been here under a combination of SEGS + HSMP for 5 years
b) in september '12 when i'd have been here under hsmp/tier1 for 5 years

c) neither of the above, state below.

whatever the case, given my current hsmp expires on 25 sept '09, whens the best time to renew so its easiest for me to move onto the settlement visa without worrying about overlap or being here waiting for a decision without a valid visa etc? or needing an extra filler visa to just cover a couple of extra months cause i'm not at the 5 year mark yet?

thanks everyone!

push
United Kingdom

Re: student->SEGS->hsmp: how long for settlement?

Post by push » Mon May 25, 2009 11:24 am

chamelion wrote:hey everyone,

I'm so confused with these ever changing tier1/hsmp laws. i just need to figure out when i'll be able to get a settlement visa.

so basically came here as a student in sept '05. moved to the one year SEGS (science engineering graduate scheme) in october '06 and started employment in november '06.

Now obviously i need to get at least one more hsmp. what i'm wondering is if there's a best time for me to get it so i can move to settlement easier.

a) in september '11 when i'd have been here under a combination of SEGS + HSMP for 5 years

whatever the case, given my current hsmp expires on 25 sept '09, whens the best time to renew so its easiest for me to move onto the settlement visa without worrying about overlap or being here waiting for a decision without a valid visa etc? or needing an extra filler visa to just cover a couple of extra months cause i'm not at the 5 year mark yet?

thanks everyone!
Forget about 5 year settlement now. Look at what parliament is debating at the moment re changes to immigration rules. The settlement might now require you to spend anywhere between 6-8 years. Get your current leave extended in July/August under Tier-1 (if you are willing to shell out 200 odd additional pounds then gor for in person appointment).
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

chamelion

Post by chamelion » Mon May 25, 2009 11:32 am

they really make life "interesting" for us trying to settle in this country :)

yeah that's what i thought; i'll probably go in and apply end of august / start of september in person. it's a no-nonsense application, i have over 110 points so fingers crossed shouldn't have any confusion.

which begs the question: if there is a delay, for whatever reason, to my application - what is my category here if my current visa expires while they're reviewing my case? I remember reading that i'm still legal as long as they have my application and until it's fully processed one way or other?

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon May 25, 2009 5:02 pm

chamelion wrote:they really make life "interesting" for us trying to settle in this country :)

yeah that's what i thought; i'll probably go in and apply end of august / start of september in person. it's a no-nonsense application, i have over 110 points so fingers crossed shouldn't have any confusion.

which begs the question: if there is a delay, for whatever reason, to my application - what is my category here if my current visa expires while they're reviewing my case? I remember reading that i'm still legal as long as they have my application and until it's fully processed one way or other?
While your application is under consideration, you have the same rights as you had before the expiry of current leave.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

SW
- thin ice -

Post by SW » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi

I have almost the same scenario - was on SEG and after 2 months gap got my Work Permit and now on Tier1. If they decide to extend the years to 6 - 8 yrs, will I be able extend my Tier 1. It expires in 2011

Thanks
push_hsmp wrote:
chamelion wrote:they really make life "interesting" for us trying to settle in this country :)

While your application is under consideration, you have the same rights as you had before the expiry of current leave.

nksg

Re: student->SEGS->hsmp: how long for settlement?

Post by nksg » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:08 pm

as of the rules today your eligible in september '12 when you have been here under hsmp/tier1 for 5 years .

But i would agree with the comments from the experts on new citizenship...
chamelion wrote:hey everyone,

thanks everyone!