ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help please....

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bagslife86
Newly Registered

Help please....

Post by bagslife86 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:01 am

Hi all! Great forum you have here!

Well, here's the thing. We want to move to and live our lives together in the USA.

I am 22, just finished university and have a clean criminal record. My girlfriend is 21, just finished university and also has a clean criminal record. She is however starting another degree which will elevate her to masters status, she is a psychologist (recognised member of the american psychology assosiation). However she is not yet practicing.

We both also did our GCSE's and A-levels in the uk. We are UK citizens and have been since birth.

We want to move to and live our lives together in the USA. I realise there is probably no problem with my girlfriend getting the visa. Would i apply for the visa with her if we were married or engaged. would this effect her chances? We do intend to marry, either before or after the move.

any comments very very welcome..

thanks alot

newperson

Re: Help please....

Post by newperson » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:37 am

bagslife86 wrote:I realise there is probably no problem with my girlfriend getting the visa.
I'm not sure at all how much that statement is true. There are no special allowances made for psychologists immigrating to the United States, particularly for non-practicing, 21 year-old ones.

You probably have equal chances of living permanently in the US, which to be frank, is rather low. Unless you can convince an American company to hire you (very hard) or have close relatives to sponsor you (do you?), you might want to make alternate plans. Canada? Australia? New Zealand? These are countries that have points-based systems that favour the young and educated.