ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tinibee
Newly Registered

Immigration

Post by Tinibee » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:01 am

Hi
Last edited by Tinibee on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sky07

Post by sky07 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:25 am

I'm sure your husband will need a schengen visa....

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:07 am

sky07 wrote:I'm sure your husband will need a schengen visa....
And being married in Greece doesn't mean anything, conveys no freedom of movement I'm afraid..
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:14 am

Wanderer wrote:And being married in Greece doesn't mean anything, conveys no freedom of movement I'm afraid..
Wrong. It does not matter where the couple got married. Greek marriage certificate is just as good as a UK marriage certificate. What matters is that they are married.

The couple is married and one of them is an EU citizen. So BOTH of them have freedom of movement so long as they are travelling together. In some cases the non-EU can be required to get an entry visa.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:43 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:And being married in Greece doesn't mean anything, conveys no freedom of movement I'm afraid..
Wrong. It does not matter where the couple got married. Greek marriage certificate is just as good as a UK marriage certificate. What matters is that they are married.

The couple is married and one of them is an EU citizen. So BOTH of them have freedom of movement so long as they are travelling together. In some cases the non-EU can be required to get an entry visa.
Sorry, what I was trying to say was the Greek marriage doesn't imply free movement as per the EEA Residence Permit would. Does that make sense?

I'm prolly still wrong tho!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:32 pm

By the way, has any non-EEA family member of a EU/Swiss national in possession of a UK residence card (with the remarks " Residence documentation of a family member of a EU/Swiss national") been able to successfully travel to and from France (by plane, train, ferry, car...) without a schengen visa?

My hubby and I would like to test drive this recent implementation of the EU Directive by the French but are a bit chicken! :oops:

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:53 pm

My wife and I did a test-drive to Ireland without a visa. We took a (nice sunny!) Saturday and drove to Stanstead. Got a Ryanair flight to Dublin. On arriving we went to the immigration desks (we thought we might have to search them out, but they are now required even from the UK), and then waited 30 minutes while they considered whether to let my wife in on the basis of our marriage certificate. After being admitted, we then went into the centre of Dublin for the rest of the day, and flew home on a 6pm flight. Flights costs us £10 each if I remember correctly.

My take aways from the situation:
(1) There are lots of cheap same-day-return flights and ferries to go to France from the UK. Ferries have the down side or benefit (depending on your point of view) of clearing immigration before you leave the UK.
(2) Do it as a special purpose same-day-trip trip to try things out. Try Germany (should be very easy!), France, maybe even Spain (but be careful).
(3) It is not so hard as you might expect. Once you have done it, then you can think about your week long holiday in France and will be far more relaxed
(4) Enjoy yourself
(5) Record the whole thing on a voice recorder. Also take photos of you both together just before you clear customs. Be sure to also carry your marriage certificate as a backup.

Tinibee
Newly Registered

Post by Tinibee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi,
Last edited by Tinibee on Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:My wife and I did a test-drive to Ireland without a visa. We took a (nice sunny!) Saturday and drove to Stanstead. Got a Ryanair flight to Dublin. On arriving we went to the immigration desks (we thought we might have to search them out, but they are now required even from the UK), and then waited 30 minutes while they considered whether to let my wife in on the basis of our marriage certificate. After being admitted, we then went into the centre of Dublin for the rest of the day, and flew home on a 6pm flight. Flights costs us £10 each if I remember correctly.

My take aways from the situation:
(1) There are lots of cheap same-day-return flights and ferries to go to France from the UK. Ferries have the down side or benefit (depending on your point of view) of clearing immigration before you leave the UK.
(2) Do it as a special purpose same-day-trip trip to try things out. Try Germany (should be very easy!), France, maybe even Spain (but be careful).
(3) It is not so hard as you might expect. Once you have done it, then you can think about your week long holiday in France and will be far more relaxed
(4) Enjoy yourself
(5) Record the whole thing on a voice recorder. Also take photos of you both together just before you clear customs. Be sure to also carry your marriage certificate as a backup.
Thanks a lot for the tips Directive. My hubby and I are planning on seeing Dieppe and Giverny. I'm not sure the best mode of transport for both destinations, but we will see how we fare at immigration. Not forgetting to take our marriage certificate along of course!