ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I have two wives

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Juni
Newly Registered

I have two wives

Post by Juni » Tue May 17, 2005 7:00 am

Little bit strange question but I am afraid,it can make a problem for me. I have two wives both are graduated .
Now in couple of weeks time I am going to apply for EC and no idea how they will treat because EC people dont have any concept of two wives.
Any moderator or forum member knows the answer.

Juni

Kotiara

Re: I have two wives

Post by Kotiara » Tue May 17, 2005 7:52 am

Juni wrote:Little bit strange question but I am afraid,it can make a problem for me. I have two wives both are graduated .
Now in couple of weeks time I am going to apply for EC and no idea how they will treat because EC people dont have any concept of two wives.
Any moderator or forum member knows the answer.

Juni
Just take the prettier wife with you:)

Juni
Newly Registered

Post by Juni » Tue May 17, 2005 8:44 am

Thanks Kotiara,Both are pretty and also both are my responsibilities.Might be it will be a joke for others but for me it is a serious matter.Hope moderators will make serious comments.

Juni

Boom05

Post by Boom05 » Tue May 17, 2005 8:50 am

I know in some countries and religion, having 2 or more wives is acceptable. However, i do not believe you can legally (i mean under the western law adopted by most countries) marry two wives. I am of the opinion that you will only be able to take the woman you are married too legally (with marriage certificate issued by the courts). Meanwhile, the law of your country is supreme on this issue. Senior boys opinion pls!
Its easy to follow the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone !

makon

Post by makon » Tue May 17, 2005 8:55 am

to the best of my knowledge UK law does not permit marriage to two women at the same time. this forum may not be able to give you the answer u expect. u will be better off with an experienced UK based immigration adviser. check http://www.oisc.org.uk/, best wishes but I envy you o!

Juni
Newly Registered

Post by Juni » Tue May 17, 2005 9:07 am

Thanks Boom,really appriciate your comments.whatever you write in your comment ,the same i have in my mind.One thing i want to mention that I legally married with both of them and i have legal documents from the govt. department.
Getting two time married is another issue and I do not want to discuss that in which circumstances I have to do this.
Thanks boom.
more comments will be appriciated.

Juni

rella

Post by rella » Tue May 17, 2005 12:56 pm

As far as I can tell, UK law only allows you to bring dependent children under 18, a legally married spouse, or an unmarried partner (either opposite or same sex if living together in a relationship akin to marriage longer than two years). There is no provision for more than one wife.

I know this puts you in a quandry, but the way to look at it is that local cultural values and norms vary from country to country. Many countries who allow more than one wife, would be abhored about same-sex or unmarried opposite sex partners and would never allow an immigrant to bring in such a partner legally, even if the immigrant were completely responsible for their partner and had been with them for many years.

On the other hand, same-sex and unmarried partners are acceptable as legal partners in many European countries, but not multiple spouses.

So, I don't think that there is an answer to your dilemma that you want to hear. The only thing I can think of, is to have the wife with more professional experience apply for her own WP or HSMP and come here under her own visa. Then, the other could come as your spouse. I'm still not sure how the HO would consider the marriage of one spouse, if there are other spouses. But, since they allow unmarried partners, I wouldn't think it'd be that big of an issue. But, I really don't know and it would be worth checking with the HO to see where they stand on this issue. I know that when people have applied for spousal visas, that divorce papers were required for anyone who had previously been married.

Can either one of your wives qualify for HSMP?

Good luck.

Alagomeji

Post by Alagomeji » Tue May 17, 2005 1:53 pm

Purely out of curiousity, may I ask what country you are from juni?
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, BUT UNBOWED

INVICTUS ; William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 17, 2005 2:10 pm

Juni, you may find this page from the IND website helpful to you :-

Annex C - Polygamous and Potentially Marriages

However I suspect you will not look upon that detail as good news for you. However, does no. 7 in that Annex give any scope to you? That is, is one of your wives able to qualify for a UK visa in her own right? That is, ignoring the marriage?
Last edited by John on Tue May 17, 2005 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

DeepThroat

Post by DeepThroat » Tue May 17, 2005 8:38 pm

First trip take ur first wife, next trip ur next wife.
just kidding, (all the best X 2) :lol:

AlexStiva
Newly Registered

Post by AlexStiva » Wed May 18, 2005 2:53 am

Juni, do you have any friends in the UK ?

Try to talk to them or search internet for UK diaspora, people from your country, and ask them how would they cope with such situation. I know laws in some countries allow to have more than one wife, but not many people can afford that, nevertheless what I am trying to say .. I am more than sure that you are not the only man who met such a problem, and some people already suceed in what you are trying to do. You just need to find a right person to talk with ....or very good solicitor ,,

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Wed May 18, 2005 10:35 am

hi juni,

I think u must be from PAkistan or some other muslim country, in that case, ur conutry's UK consulate office must be dealing with similar cases as yours, so better go and inquire there that how can u get both of your wives with u to UK. I can understand its religiously adn lawfully permitted in ISlam adn hence in Islamic countries, in that case the laws fop immigration might even be different for these nationals.

I can;t belieev that you would be the first one form your conmutry who si married with two ladies and wants to migrate to UK, so try to find out solution locally...

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed May 18, 2005 2:15 pm

The original poster's query has been appropriately covered by my fellow moderator John - to summarise the regulations in his link:

1. Only 1 spouse can ever be given entry clearance as a dependent.

2. The other spouse may enter the UK on their own basis e.g. student, visitor etc.

Both conditions apply irrespective of place (read country) of application because such is based on one set of immigration rules that must be met unless otherwise exempted/ considered as a concession - sorry this would not apply in polygomous situations.

Juni
Newly Registered

Post by Juni » Sat May 21, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi all,

Really appriciate the comments differnent members made.beside all these, I am also contacting immigration lawyers within the country and outside in U.K but still I did not have any answer which could help me.
I also asked home country consulate but they did not answer it. Anyway still waiting for a ray of hope.

regards,

juni

Juni
Newly Registered

Post by Juni » Thu May 26, 2005 7:42 am

Today I received an answer from local u.k embassy.They pass on the same comments as members have already made " Under UK law , one can only sponsor one spouse and under 16 kids . "

It looks that it is almost impossible to avail HSMP opportunity.
Onething in either case the worst scenario is to not have EC but if I want to avail a chance should I mention in EC form that I have two wives or .....

juni

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu May 26, 2005 8:16 am

Juni, as I mentioned on 17th May in this thread, your best hope is if either of your wives can qualify for a visa in her own right. Is that at all possible?
John

Juni
Newly Registered

Post by Juni » Thu May 26, 2005 8:31 am

hi John,
you are right,it looks to be the only option.At the time of HSMP application,I asked for wife's achievement points and hope that HSMP team awarded me those points.I mentioned the name of that wife which has maximum level of education and have maximum years of marriage.My second wife although has graduation but I know she will not be able to have a long term visa i.e, WP,HSMP etc. but other can have.
what can be happened,if I apply for EC using second wife(with less education level) name and apply other for long term visa.

juni

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu May 26, 2005 3:39 pm

HSMP EC dependent spouse must be the one whose details you used to acquire the relevant HSMP points. Second spouse must come to the UK in her own right - the answer will not change irrespective of how many times you ask. Sorry this may not be what you want to hear.

Juni
Newly Registered

Post by Juni » Thu May 26, 2005 3:52 pm

Hi kayalami,
Thanks for your reply.you people are absolutely right.with this i would like to thank you all of you who participate in this thread.with this i think we should finish it here.

juni

rella

Post by rella » Thu May 26, 2005 4:00 pm

One last idea... is your second wife at all interested in coming as a student? That's one more route for her to come here.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

sohail

Post by sohail » Sun May 29, 2005 12:54 pm

juni

send me a message at sohail4312@hotmail.com.