ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right time to Naturalise?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

Right time to Naturalise?

Post by dollarjojo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi Guys

Could you please help me determine the right time to apply for naturalization?

Here's the situation.......

I applied for ILR in Feb 2005. I was granted ILR on 13 Jan 2009. As you can work out, it took the Home Office 4 years to grant me (ILR i.e.).

The question is this, does the 4 years count as time when I was free from immigration time restrictions, and if so, can I then apply on 14 Jan 2010 or before?

Thanks for taking time.[/list][/list]

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Questions :-
  1. What was your UK immigration status before you applied for ILR?
  2. When did you come to the UK?
  3. Are are you married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen?
John

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

Post by dollarjojo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:59 pm

John wrote:
Questions :-
  1. What was your UK immigration status before you applied for ILR?
  2. When did you come to the UK?
  3. Are are you married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen?
Thanks for getting back promptly...

1. I was an overstayer
2. I came on 25 Nov 1994
3. I am no married

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:43 am

does the 4 years count as time when I was free from immigration time restrictions
No, given that you were "illegal" before applying, you retained that status while the application was considered.

You need to be totally "legal" during your 5-year qualifying period, and thus under current legislation the earliest you can apply is in January 2014. But by then totally different legislation will be in force, so you need to check this out again in a few years time.

Can I ask, how did you manage to get ILR when you were an overstayer? Any more facts you wish to give us?
John

Sten

Post by Sten » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 am

John wrote:Can I ask, how did you manage to get ILR when you were an overstayer? Any more facts you wish to give us?
For 14 years residence rule you do not have to be legal ..
Good luck !

newperson

Post by newperson » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:59 am

Yeah, but he entered the UK in Nov 1994. The soonest he would have been able to apply under the 14 year rule would have been the autumn of 2008.

That's why a 2005 application is curious...

Sten

Post by Sten » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:17 am

newperson wrote:Yeah, but he entered the UK in Nov 1994. The soonest he would have been able to apply under the 14 year rule would have been the autumn of 2008.

That's why a 2005 application is curious...
So HO just waited till the 14 period completes, that probably allowed them to keep him on track ...
Good luck !

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Rather than speculate, shall we just wait to see what dollarjojo says?
John

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

Post by dollarjojo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:40 pm

John wrote:Rather than speculate, shall we just wait to see what dollarjojo says?
I applied both under the 14 year rule and 7 year child concession. It was a2 pronged attack.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:50 pm

OK, thanks for clarifying that.

Based upon what you have posted it is clear to me that you did not become "legal" until you got your ILR, and accordingly that date is when your qualifying period started. So I shall stick with what I posted earlier :-
You need to be totally "legal" during your 5-year qualifying period, and thus under current legislation the earliest you can apply is in January 2014. But by then totally different legislation will be in force, so you need to check this out again in a few years time.
John

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

Post by dollarjojo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:50 pm

John wrote:OK, thanks for clarifying that.

Based upon what you have posted it is clear to me that you did not become "legal" until you got your ILR, and accordingly that date is when your qualifying period started. So I shall stick with what I posted earlier :-
Much appreciated John!

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:28 am

dollarjojo wrote:
Much appreciated John!
you are a bit tightfisted on information there. There maybe someone in a similar position to you who views your post and any information you provide with regard to your application may help them.

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

Post by dollarjojo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:42 pm

f2k wrote:
dollarjojo wrote:
Much appreciated John!
you are a bit tightfisted on information there. There maybe someone in a similar position to you who views your post and any information you provide with regard to your application may help them.
I thought I had provided all the info necessary with regards to this particular sitaution.

However, if you feel there is some stuff I've left out, I don't mind you asking questions.

This forum has been a real life-saver and I wouldn't want to be labelled tight-fisted......so my friend, fire on!

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:01 pm

lol. I really said that as a joke. Anyway the information that some pple could be after includes, how old you were when you applied, documents provided, whether you made any follow up to the HO (thru MP, solicitor, self etc), any communications from HO to you. that sort of thing. The long residency (14year one) is a bit of an unknown, the 7 year concession was as well but thats now non existant

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

Post by dollarjojo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:44 pm

f2k wrote:lol. I really said that as a joke. Anyway the information that some pple could be after includes, how old you were when you applied, documents provided, whether you made any follow up to the HO (thru MP, solicitor, self etc), any communications from HO to you. that sort of thing. The long residency (14year one) is a bit of an unknown, the 7 year concession was as well but thats now non existant
Sorry dude! I missed the joke. Anyway, to answer possible questions:

1. I was 35 when I made my application
2. I provided as many docs over the 14yrs such as P60s, payslips, bank statements, kids' school reports, etc
3. I would write to the HO periodically and call them up too

dollarjojo
Newly Registered

British Citizenship via Naturalisation

Post by dollarjojo » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi Guys

I'm back again and I need your wisdom.

If you read the thread below, can you then tell me:

1) examples under which the BIA use their discretion to disregard immigration time restrictions if I want to apply for citizenship.

2) from the BIA website, what exactly(and examples if possible) do they mean by 'you can show you have established links to the UK through your home, family and larger estate'.

3) Finally, what are examples of ' compelling business & compassionate reasons to approve your application'.

I only ask because I travel a lot and I am sick of the cost and time it takes to apply for visas.

Thanks guys

Alpacino_13
Newly Registered

Post by Alpacino_13 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:31 am

Hi,

You need to read this to find out if you are eligible to apply for BC.

"Technical absence" Paragraph 9

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

Kind Regards