ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Messy naturalisation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

roland_b
Newly Registered

Messy naturalisation

Post by roland_b » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi there peeps, :)

I was wondering if someone would be able to advise me?

Basically, I'm going to be 6 years legally in the UK next April 2010. During this time I have been a full-time English student and am currently both married to an EU person and a full-time student at university.

Do I need to apply for a permanent visa before applying for naturalisation or can I apply for it in 2010 without one? I didn't want to have to rely on my wife as I don't want to mess up her status here as well.

I'm assuming naturalising myself means I'll be British and have a British passport and freedom in the country, which I love from the very moment I stepped on it. :oops:

Can anyone help? :o

Many many thanks indeed. it means a lot.

Orlando

republique
BANNED

Re: Messy naturalisation

Post by republique » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:04 pm

roland_b wrote:Hi there peeps, :)

I was wondering if someone would be able to advise me?

Basically, I'm going to be 6 years legally in the UK next April 2010. During this time I have been a full-time English student and am currently both married to an EU person and a full-time student at university.

Do I need to apply for a permanent visa before applying for naturalisation or can I apply for it in 2010 without one? I didn't want to have to rely on my wife as I don't want to mess up her status here as well.

I'm assuming naturalising myself means I'll be British and have a British passport and freedom in the country, which I love from the very moment I stepped on it. :oops:

Can anyone help? :o

Many many thanks indeed. it means a lot.

Orlando
You make no sense

bani

Post by bani » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Under current rules, you need to have indefinite leave to remain (ILR, same as permanent residence) first before you can become a British citizen.

On a student visa, you'd need to stay in the country legally for 10 years before you can apply for ILR.

On a family permit (that you could apply for being the spouse of an EU citizen), you'd need 5 years before applying to get ILR.

You can't do anything yet in 2010. You either wait out the 10 years total (may not be available for long, depending on the Citizenship Bill) or go on a family permit and wait 5 years.